The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hercules guitar stand.....DO NOT BUY!
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

Hercules guitar stand.....DO NOT BUY!

I've had this for a while. I didn't have it out because it was a 3-way and didn't fit into my cluttered guitar room.

But today, I pulled it out and was amazed that I had to throw it away.

First, some of the rubber parts are so sticky that after touching it, I can't get it off. Second, it was almost literally falling apart.

Did a google and found this:

the handle/grip on my Hercules stands has gone all sticky? | The Gear Page

With the point being that I'm not the only one.

That thing was like 70 bucks.
Old 12th August 2016
Lives for gear

I've had the same problem with the height adjustment grip on this mic stand :

Hercules Microphone Stand MS401B

I have to throw this thing away, too. Pretty nasty stuff.

I'd never buy anything from them again.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

That sucks. Can the rubber finish just be removed? I think it is just a finish right? Should be able to remove it all together. Hope mine doesn't go this way.
Old 13th August 2016
Had the same thing happen to my Hercules mic stands, the grip handle thing got sticky and then it broke, not buying anything from that brand again.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Sometimes as rubber ages, it turns to goo. Huge oversight on the part of Hercules, which could result in some lawsuits due to damaged instruments (liquefied rubber will sometimes melt guitar finishes). Thanks for the warning!
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
And if you scroll all the way down, you'll find a poster who, with the help of some alcohol, was able to vigorously rub until he got rid of his sticky goo and give the thread a happy ending.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 13th August 2016 at 04:47 PM..
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And if you scroll all the way down, you'll find a poster who, with the help of some alcohol, was able to vigorously rub until he got rid of his sticky goo and give the thread a happy ending.
Brent, mine was so rotten that the adjustment handle on it actually fell off. I so wished it was as simple as for the guy who had the happy outcome as it was otherwise a very solid stand.
Old 13th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Check out Ultimate-Support stands.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
Brent, mine was so rotten that the adjustment handle on it actually fell off. I so wished it was as simple as for the guy who had the happy outcome as it was otherwise a very solid stand.
He doesn't care.

I'm really surprised guys that you've had the same issue.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

I'm aware of the problem with that particular Hercules stand. I have four and one of them became like this. It's hard to track why because none of them have left my studio but only ONE has had this issue. I taped it up and still use it but it's a concern and Hercules should be addressing it.
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Head

I have had my 3 guitar stand for quite a many yaears w/o issue. Hmm...
Old 15th August 2016
That's unfortunate but sadly just about all rubber based products suffer the same fate.

I've personally seen this in the following products:

Mic cables, office rubber bands, disposable medical gloves, tape deck rollers, umbrella handles, and even the rubber grips on office ink pens.

I happen to like my umbrella so to get around the sticky problem, I apply talcum powder to the handle and rub it in. It helps for while until the stickiness returns.
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
That's unfortunate but sadly just about all rubber based products suffer the same fate.
My first car in LA was a very used Subaru, and when I bought it I didn't realize the dashboard, steering wheel, shifter and door handles were all in the midst of dissolving.
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post

I've personally seen this in the following products:

Mic cables, office rubber bands, disposable medical gloves, tape deck rollers, umbrella handles, and even the rubber grips on office ink pens.

I happen to like my umbrella so to get around the sticky problem, I apply talcum powder to the handle and rub it in. It helps for while until the stickiness returns.
Those "can" happen, but are not "likely" to happen. Too many people have suffered the problem with the same item company.
Old 30th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
Those "can" happen, but are not "likely" to happen. Too many people have suffered the problem with the same item company.
I don't know but if the company is not offering any settlement to the customer, there are a few options:

Class Action lawsuit or a report to the Better Business Bureau (in the USA)
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Not started by me.

I'll make it clear. I started this thread because obviously others had the problem. Now, many HERE have had the problem. I simply wanted to make a warning that was not some hyperbole nonsense for a perspective buyer.

The end.
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

You guys should contact Hercules about getting the stand replaced. I've never had the sticky rubber problem (I've heard about it) but I had the clamping mechanisms in both a 2 tier and 3 tier stand go bad. I contacted them (not an easy task) and a week later I had two brand new stands at my door
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Head
I have one of their mic stands, the rubber is fine, but that stand is an absolute piece of junk, nothing fits tight so it's always falling apart.
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Nut

Stands

I use Strukture stands, they seem to work well. I just built my own multi-guitar stand though, so now I use that.

Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
I use Strukture stands, they seem to work well. I just built my own multi-guitar stand though, so now I use that.

Wow - that looks magnificent. Any chance you'd share how you built it? I think I'd like to have a go at making one.
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Nut

Stand

PdotDdot,

Thanks......no problem with sharing how I built it.....it's really simple.....

The frame is built with 1"X6" boards....mine is 6' long and 22" front-to-back. I used 90° angle metal braces for the corners. For the support boards (where the guitar sits) I used 1"X6" at an angle (slanted in toward each other). They are supported by a 90° angle brace underneath them. I covered them with foam pipe wrap from Lowes......I flattened them as best I could for a day or so before I used them. I sprayed liquid adhesive on the boards and then put the foam pipe wrap on them. The sides are 1"X6" and stand 36" tall. The top board is also a 1"X6". I used 3/4" dowel rods and cut them at 6", then glued them onto the top board. I used 3/4" foam pipe wrap and cut them into 6" pieces and then wrapped them around the dowel rods. Spray painted the entire assembly black. Voila !!!!!
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

After seeing that, I'm more interested in what the second strat and the 4th (the tele) actually are.
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Nut

Guitars

The 2nd Strat is a Warmoth partscaster, flame maple neck, flame body with wood binding, Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups.

The 2nd Tele (4th back) is a Fender FSR Custom Tele in Spalted Maple with a couple of Seymour Duncan pickups (Pearly Gates in the bridge, '59 in the neck)

Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

So jelly! Thanks for the info
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

Be careful...that surgical rubber stuff they use on some guitar stands will eat through Nitro finish.
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not handy enough to build one. The herculess is landfill
Old 19th November 2016
I bought a cheap branded DOUBLE stand....total junk,i'ts got 3 fold out legs,black,black rubber for the neck -U's- looks alright,but derrr,if one Guitar is being used,and not replaced by the 3rd [I only own 3 ] the stand obviously topples over-didn't think of that while perusing on miniature ebay AU

Edit : That Warmoth partscaster, flame maple neck, flame body with wood binding, Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups,looks exactly what I need next,only Left Handed.1.NO HUMBUCKERS 2.Nice Looking Flatter radius than Fenders 9.5-too round for me,and 22 frets-right on,only thing is it HAS to have Lefty Bourns easy turn reverse taper pots,but mostly Original Type Fender L/H Bridge of course.

I actually had 2 or 3 l/h Fender type spring Bridges,but ALL stolen at gigs,actually the stuff I've had stolen-even my beloved JCM800 Master Volume,when I had a Ford XB "Panel Van"[odd type aussie car no longer made] with a dodgy rear door that "locked",but if you knew exactly where to"kick"-the door,it could be broken into,it happened in 1985 one year after I bought-the amp- new-I only left the car unattended for 5 minutes,after a rehearsal,to very quickly put up a flyer,in a city gig.

Good Ending though,and I still have it,the guy that stole it TOOK IT TO THE STORE I BOUGHT IT FROM They knew of me,kept the guy hanging,till the cops came and Busted him,so I got it straight back-super lucky-how he knew exactly Where to "kick" the door to open it,means ? maybe saw me do it once?

Last edited by rksguit; 21st November 2016 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: nice guitar,silly lucky ending waffle
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

Warwick makes a decent, inexpensive folding stand....one that holds 3 and one that holds 7, I think.

I have a couple On Stage stands next to the amps when someone needs to put a guitar down. I hang my guitars on the wall, though.
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear

I wish I could do that, but it's just too dusty and too much a/c or heater. The ones I keep out have to have sheets on them and STILL too much dust gets on them.

BTW, I still have my two floor stands from WAY WAY back when I used to gig (like, 16 years ago!) and I'm pretty sure I had them for years.

Nothing wrong with those (shrug)
Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
PdotDdot,

Thanks......no problem with sharing how I built it.....it's really simple.....

The frame is built with 1"X6" boards....mine is 6' long and 22" front-to-back. I used 90° angle metal braces for the corners. For the support boards (where the guitar sits) I used 1"X6" at an angle (slanted in toward each other). They are supported by a 90° angle brace underneath them. I covered them with foam pipe wrap from Lowes......I flattened them as best I could for a day or so before I used them. I sprayed liquid adhesive on the boards and then put the foam pipe wrap on them. The sides are 1"X6" and stand 36" tall. The top board is also a 1"X6". I used 3/4" dowel rods and cut them at 6", then glued them onto the top board. I used 3/4" foam pipe wrap and cut them into 6" pieces and then wrapped them around the dowel rods. Spray painted the entire assembly black. Voila !!!!!
Hola Sir Robn, thanks so much for sharing. I am off next week and this may be my next project! Genius! Again, much thanks!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search