The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digitech Trio Plus - warning
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Read, "trio++"
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Oh...I see. Something in the internet signal loop (forum software? Phone?) Is change a single plus to double plus... Never mind.
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quick question. Is the difference between the trio and the trio plus only the blooper. I ask because I already have a nice Boss Looper so would save me a lot of money if I could just buy the trio if that's the only difference.
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hello,

I am plan to get digitech trio plus + the foot-switch in order to complete my busking setup.

Actually i need this *full* band backing drum n bass.

My main question is: if with the extra footswitch can someone select the next of before song part.

As far as i can see in youtube it is possonle for someone to get to second part and then in the 3th etc. But i have not seen anywhere if it is possible for someone to get from the 3th part back to the 2nd for example

Can you help?

Thanx in advance
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

I want to like it, but my general feeling is: It's possessed... It's like playing the lottery, and what you get out of it usually has little relation to what you put into it. Sometimes I get something cool that I can jam with, mostly I end up wasting energy "trying" to get it to play something useful...
Old 8th March 2020
Here for the gear

I recently got my Trio+ with plans to try to use it live. But, I really don't want to go to all the trouble of recording a ton of song parts (that's a lot of work) and you then have to manage a bunch of SD cards also. I play wineries, breweries and bars for 3-4 hours at a time, and will run through 60 songs and am constantly adding new songs. I just want a little rhythm backing to liven up some of the songs. And need the flexibility to take requests as needed (as long as they're in my repertoire.. I'm over 100 songs now). So, I need a really smart drum machine, but also reliable one, and honestly the Trio+ seems to do it.

So far, the Trio+ seems to be the only one on the market that offers built-in looper, drums AND bass. I looked at the Boss RC-10R, and it looks cool, but it's not quite as "on -the-fly" as the Digitech. I did like that it has multiple parts for your selections, but no bass, and it doesn't "learn" what you're playing.

I've gone through most of my songs and practiced with the different genres and styles to figure out which I want for each song. I get VERY reproducible results if I preselect them each time. For some songs I have to also force ALT Time to either fast or slow. So, I find that as long as I preselect the genre and style, and provide the same input each time, I get the same output each time. In the end, it's just a computer. So, as long as I'm consistent with my input, it gets me the results I want each time.

I have all my setlists on my ipad, and I just added a little note to the top of each song saying something like "alt rock 2, no bass, alt time slow, normal intensity - teach full first verse". I set the dials and buttons, arm the band, start playing the guitar and after a line, or a verse, I have my band. I'm using table top mode and have the Trio+ mounted right in front of me to my mic stand and use the footswitch for start/stop and looping.

If there was a way to store and recall all my songs from the same SD card, I would probably do that. It would be super easy to have just recorded it and called it song #29 , on the ipad, and then select song 29. But, changing out cards all the time... ugh. Plus, I have heard there are issues with your songs getting overwritten. I wonder if you write protect the files if that might help. But, regardless, I don't want to change out SD cards.

The biggest downside is that I can't change footswitch assignments. I'd LOVE to be able to have the center switch select intensity level, rather than change parts, since, I'm not pre-recording ANY parts. During chorus, I would just change intensity (or I might even switch styles, if I could assign "next style" to the pedal). I sent an email to support asking if there was a way to do it, but it seems like Digitech hasn't really been keeping this product up to date. Maybe they're planning on releasing something new. The released the SDRUM, but frankly, I think that thing is not nearly as useful as the Trio+, and has less features.

The other downside is the endings. It would be great if it would let the drums and bass ring out, instead of just cutting out. But, it's livable so far, just not ideal. I modify the endings to accommodate.

So, my song structures I basically need about 30 seconds to read my notes and adjust the Trio+, I start playing with no band, and the band comes in after the first line (sometimes I play a full verse so the band comes in when I start to sing or sometimes I just play the root chord with the appropriate rhythm and use simple bass or no bass), I play the song, then either stop the band on the last chord as I let my chord ring out, I stop it and continue to play a line or a verse without the band. So, no big finished unfortunately. For some songs, i stop the entire band mid song, and then start it again as needed. A little tip, the band doesn't start again til you release the button, not when you press the button. So, I usually do a little 1 beat step on, 1 beat step off as I hit the next guitar chord. works okay. Kinda scared I might accidentally erase the band, but hasn't happened yet.
Old 4th April 2020
Here for the gear

Trio Plus Tempo Problems During Playback

Hi Trio Plus Users. I am new to Gearslutz. I looked through the 4 pages of Trio discussion and did not see this peculiar problem discussed. Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place.

Is anyone experiencing these problems (2016 Trio Plus)?- Summary: During playback of a created "song" on it, it speeds up on its own, or slows down on other occasions. Sometimes it behaves just fine. I no longer trust it, at all. I am using an approved SD card on the list from Digitech (SanDisk Ultra 8GB). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In greater detail: I have no problem with the Trio finding my default TEMPO when I am recording my 5 parts (I use a metronome as I play my rhythm tracks into the Trio). This helps me, and the Trio lock-on to the tempo I desire, and maintain it for recording purposes. BUT...lately my Trio Plus SUCKS during play-back. After I sequence my 5 parts, sometimes the Trio plays it back flawlessly, yet other times the tempo begins to wander (speed up, slow down). Sometimes it happens as it migrates through the sequenced parts (as in part 1 has perfect tempo, but part 2 plays at a slower tempo, then part 3 returns to normal tempo, etc.). It also mucks up right in the middle of any 1 of the 5 parts.
Old 21st April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G View Post
I recently got my Trio+ with plans to try to use it live. But, I really don't want to go to all the trouble of recording a ton of song parts (that's a lot of work) and you then have to manage a bunch of SD cards also. I play wineries, breweries and bars for 3-4 hours at a time, and will run through 60 songs and am constantly adding new songs. I just want a little rhythm backing to liven up some of the songs. And need the flexibility to take requests as needed (as long as they're in my repertoire.. I'm over 100 songs now). So, I need a really smart drum machine, but also reliable one, and honestly the Trio+ seems to do it.

So far, the Trio+ seems to be the only one on the market that offers built-in looper, drums AND bass. I looked at the Boss RC-10R, and it looks cool, but it's not quite as "on -the-fly" as the Digitech. I did like that it has multiple parts for your selections, but no bass, and it doesn't "learn" what you're playing.

I've gone through most of my songs and practiced with the different genres and styles to figure out which I want for each song. I get VERY reproducible results if I preselect them each time. For some songs I have to also force ALT Time to either fast or slow. So, I find that as long as I preselect the genre and style, and provide the same input each time, I get the same output each time. In the end, it's just a computer. So, as long as I'm consistent with my input, it gets me the results I want each time.

I have all my setlists on my ipad, and I just added a little note to the top of each song saying something like "alt rock 2, no bass, alt time slow, normal intensity - teach full first verse". I set the dials and buttons, arm the band, start playing the guitar and after a line, or a verse, I have my band. I'm using table top mode and have the Trio+ mounted right in front of me to my mic stand and use the footswitch for start/stop and looping.

If there was a way to store and recall all my songs from the same SD card, I would probably do that. It would be super easy to have just recorded it and called it song #29 , on the ipad, and then select song 29. But, changing out cards all the time... ugh. Plus, I have heard there are issues with your songs getting overwritten. I wonder if you write protect the files if that might help. But, regardless, I don't want to change out SD cards.

The biggest downside is that I can't change footswitch assignments. I'd LOVE to be able to have the center switch select intensity level, rather than change parts, since, I'm not pre-recording ANY parts. During chorus, I would just change intensity (or I might even switch styles, if I could assign "next style" to the pedal). I sent an email to support asking if there was a way to do it, but it seems like Digitech hasn't really been keeping this product up to date. Maybe they're planning on releasing something new. The released the SDRUM, but frankly, I think that thing is not nearly as useful as the Trio+, and has less features.

The other downside is the endings. It would be great if it would let the drums and bass ring out, instead of just cutting out. But, it's livable so far, just not ideal. I modify the endings to accommodate.

So, my song structures I basically need about 30 seconds to read my notes and adjust the Trio+, I start playing with no band, and the band comes in after the first line (sometimes I play a full verse so the band comes in when I start to sing or sometimes I just play the root chord with the appropriate rhythm and use simple bass or no bass), I play the song, then either stop the band on the last chord as I let my chord ring out, I stop it and continue to play a line or a verse without the band. So, no big finished unfortunately. For some songs, i stop the entire band mid song, and then start it again as needed. A little tip, the band doesn't start again til you release the button, not when you press the button. So, I usually do a little 1 beat step on, 1 beat step off as I hit the next guitar chord. works okay. Kinda scared I might accidentally erase the band, but hasn't happened yet.
Hi. You do all this teaching to the trio+ live? Or you mean, you do all that if someone requests a song - otherwise - you're playing from the SD card?
Old 21st April 2020
Here for the gear

Hi All. I picked through pages and pages and didn't see this - can anyone help? I really need to be able to program in stops and hits, like in a typical blues song (You know...pride and joy....sweet home chicago...tore down...) where the band 'hits and stops' on the "and 1!...and 1!....and 1!) etc. Cannot find this answer ANYWHERE and in the manual, it just says, ok, you can program some song parts to have to backing band, but that's it. *Apparently* you can buy the footswitch (extra $$) that can temporarily "mute" the backing band.... anyone know about this?? Thank you for reading!
Old 21st April 2020
Lives for gear
Well, this whole "Trio" thing turned out to be a big fat turd, eh?

I remember them winning "Best in Show" at NAMM that one year and thinking "Really?"

I thought as a novelty it was fine, but from the expectations, I was hearing? I knew this wasn't going to fly.

Then the Trio quickly turned into the +, whenever that happens you know it's not a good sign.

Then one day a while back, I walked into a store blowing them out for $39 and $79,

I was like "DAMN! That bad?!"

I picked up one with zero expectations, well....one, Novelty.

And I got what I paid for.
Old 12th May 2020
Here for the gear

Here's an update on the major TEMPO problems my Trip Plus is having. Digitech says "Tempo Encoder is starting to fail." They pointed me toward a local authorized service center (which is code for "$90 to trouble shoot + parts and labor"). I intend to engage with Digitech to honor my warranty anyway...c'mon!...TEMPO is at the heart of this device, and it can't sustain proper functioning?
Old 13th June 2020
Here for the gear

Sucks power 800 mA

A deal breaker (if anyone selling it had mentioned it) is that it is almost not portable. Needs mains power. It uses 800 mA so on the best power board lasts about 2 hours. Hardly even a gig worth.
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jasonis View Post
I see what you mean. Yeah, it sometimes drives me nuts. For commercial type gigs it's good enough for a dancing crowd. Even a listening crowd if their not too critical. For me the true test will be when I begin programming my recorded compositions. There I will brook no compromise. I'd rather not perform a song than to not do it justice.

Like I said previously, we need to keep pointing out the weak spots and forward this info to DigiTech for future improvements. They're always interested in customer feedback. I have a contact in customer service (actually he's in engineering but he took care of a large issue I had with a harmonizer a few years back) and I'll collect select parts of this discussion and forward them to him.
Rick, Once I dig into a piece of gear it’s endless but let me add this. I had the TRIO+ for a year. It was defective and I finally sent it back and Digitech/Harman refurbed it for me. No charge. I’m still not sure if the lack of anticipated notes is an inherent flaw but once I got it back I decided to use it. I’d be interested in getting your live setup and chain.

The Outputs (Amp/Line) sound very different if you use an Electric Guitar, external FX or overdrive pedal. The Line/Mixer output will add Speaker Cabinet Emulation but the Amp line won’t and through a PA that usually sounds trashy. If you want the Speaker Emulation AND you want to separate the Drums & Bass from the Guitar signal going to a mixer or PA you can run those lines into a small mixer, even a tiny Behringer 4to1 mono mixer and the guitar will sound great. This will give you volume control without getting to the floor level and external pedal is a must but offers no start/stop function. You can simply set the 3 variations of the triple pedal function by holding down 1, 2, or 3 as you plug the pedal into the Trio+. Very cool if you want to mute the drums, bass or both or use the alt meters or go through the alternate drum patterns. Another really annoying flaw is having the drums constantly go to some unknown pattern when you finish training it and having to go back to find the pattern you were working on (WTH is that?) The biggest drag live is stepping on the start button too long and erasing a pattern. Ouch. It would be wise to simply have your set loaded AND a b/u disk handy. I won’t go into the tiny cards but at least it’s IN the TRIO+ not sticking out under foot.

I dove into the TRIO+ and within a few weekends compiled over 40 finished songs for live use in addition to a dozen or so originals. I am working on 70 at this time and I have to say, I had less enthusiasm for my own songs being compromised. Some of the best tracks are still drafts but unexpected successes considering the limitations. Many of the beats and rhythms are not obvious and it’s all in how you train it. There are no crescendo endings or on demand drum fills but I do find the Drums interesting as they do vary and the drummer does a fill at the end of 4 or 8 bars. It is annoying that odd measures will either go to an alternative time or cut to half time. It does not like odd measures so you have to pick songs in 3/4 or 4/4 where the 7/8 time is played over the 4/4 time as in SOLSBURY HILL.

I would not recommend trying to reproduce any signature jazz or fusion lines or even Steely Dan pop like Aja but the bass playing on the TRIO+ is freaking awesome if you understand it’s limitations.

I used to do a Steve Winwood / Traffic tribute so when I got more than workable versions of FREEDOM RIDER, CAN’T FIND MY WAY HOME, and EMPTY PAGES I was thrilled. HIGHER LOVE alone has Verse, Chorus, Pre-Chorus 2 Bridges and 2 breaks and I had to go to Hip Hop and start it with the vocals (unless I use the mute bass feature). The feel is very different throughout but it works. I can add horns and voices and play the keys live.

Others that were exceptional range from BELL BOTTOM BLUES to DON’T DREAM IT’S OVER, YELLOW, GEORGIA, and reggae like PRESSURE DROP and JOHNNY YOU’RE TOO BAD. TAKE ME TO THE RIVER, YOU CAN’T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT (all the meter changes and the choir vox with the TC) and TUMBLING DICE. Very pleased and I even got a great version of PEARL OF THE QUARTER (Steely Dan). That’s the only one I used a Pedal Steel track for. Flew it in and it all lined up.

For songs like MR TAMBOURINE MAN (Byrds vs) you can just set the bass to simple (red) and then dub bass on the Looper to do exact lines. You can’t even tell it’s not one bass if you get the tone and levels right. Anyway, I’d be curious what kind of song list you put together. Happy 4th Holiday!
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

There is so much they could have done to extend the capabilities of this product and yet it appears as if they have abandoned new development.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Head

TRIO+ LIVE SETUP for Multi Instruments & Vox Harmonies

FWIW, This is my current TRIO+ setup for solo work with PIANO, AC GUITAR and ELEC GUITAR. A few 90 degree cables will be added for cleanup. As I need to fit this under a keyboard stand it requires the juxtaposed pedal boards. The 2 signals, Piano or Guitar go into the first (custom) A/B box with the green/red LED. The signal is then sent to another Morley A/B/Y box which splits one signal (A) to the TC HELICON for pitch control of vox and one sent for Amplification (PA/Amp, etc.).

The PA signal (B) starts at the Boss Tuner and goes to the Boss AC-3 for color and directly IN to the TRIO+. The Vox Overdrive and Boss RV-5 Dig Reverb pedals are run thru the FX SEND/RETURN on the TRIO+. The TRIO+ Drums/Bass OUT are run into the Carl Martin Compressor and then OUT to PA or AMP. The Compressor controls the inconsitencies in volume of the drums and adds a nice punch as well. Too much and cymbals sound like trash. I also use a tiny Behringing 4 ch mixer which gives me total control of 1. bass/drums 2. Loop 3. Guitar boost 4. Piano boost (Stereo R Out of Keyboard/Guitar OUT of TRIO+). The VOX are run from XLR OUT of TC to Ch 1 on a Fender 100 Ac Amp with the mono signal of all Intruments to Ch 2 and the pair of XLR Outs from the Fender 100 going to Powered PA Cabs. The ABC pedal controls the TRIO+.

I hope the jpg uploads with enough quality to see the devices!
Attached Thumbnails
Digitech Trio Plus - warning-trio-live-setup.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

aside from tempo issues and linking parts.... 800mah draw... bass and drums that sound like a cheap childs keyboard... you can hear many demos to prove it. Glad it works for some but would prefer decent drums and bass and the ability to turn off the crash cymbal... yuk! other than that the idea is great, just want to see a version that can be used in a real live setting without sounding like your doing a gig in a circus. Cant wait for an updated version that is less toy like.
📝 Reply