The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rickenbacker 325: Why does no one play one?
Old 12th January 2019
  #91
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
My 330/12 arrived this week. It's a 2015, the seller said it was mint and it is. From L to R: 1996 360, 2015 330/12, 1996 Rose Morris.


Nice Rick guitar forest there, man. I take it you like the Fireglo [I think that's what they're called]? Looks real nice.

I mean, not Mapleglo 360-12 nice, but still real nice. : ). Just kidding. They look great!


cheers,


audioforce
Old 12th January 2019
  #92
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Nice Rick guitar forest there, man. I take it you like the Fireglo [I think that's what they're called]? Looks real nice.

I mean, not Mapleglo 360-12 nice, but still real nice. : ). Just kidding. They look great!

cheers,

audioforce
Mapleglo is beautiful, Roger McGuinn played one after all.

@ audioforce , seriously, it's very gracious of you to recognize the Fireglo.

audioforce you mentioned Pyramid flatwounds, I don't have experience with them. I do know the most essential element to attain the Rickenbacker sound is compression. You can't just plug in a Rickenbacker and have the Rickenbacker sound, it's not possible. Every Rickenbacker needs compression and should be compressed in the mix or played in my experience through a Janglebox. I've tried other compressor pedals and they fall short. I've posted this Doug Hammond review before, but it sends a good message to Rickenbacker players.


Old 12th January 2019
  #93
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Mapleglo is beautiful, Roger McGuinn played one after all.

@ audioforce , seriously, it's very gracious of you to recognize the Fireglo.

audioforce you mentioned Pyramid flatwounds, I don't have experience with them. I do know the most essential element to attain the Rickenbacker sound is compression. You can't just plug in a Rickenbacker and have the Rickenbacker sound, it's not possible. Every Rickenbacker needs compression and should be compressed in the mix or played in my experience through a Janglebox. I've tried other compressor pedals and they fall short. I've posted this Doug Hammond review before, but it sends a good message to Rickenbacker players.


I think McGuinn had a compressor literally on the guitar, right?

You should try the Pyramids. That is what they were using back in the day when "that sound" came about. All the Pyramid strings are amazing. They are expensive, but they last forever and they are actually made differently. I think you would like them.

I actually like Fireglo Ricks a lot. On the one I have, it has that flame maple the Norm talked them into using on that special "custom run", and it was mo' better on the "natural' Mapleglos, so I grabbed that one.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 12th January 2019
  #94
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
I think McGuinn had a compressor literally on the guitar, right?

You should try the Pyramids. That is what they were using back in the day when "that sound" came about. All the Pyramid strings are amazing. They are expensive, but they last forever and they are actually made differently. I think you would like them.

I actually like Fireglo Ricks a lot. On the one I have, it has that flame maple the Norm talked them into using on that special "custom run", and it was mo' better on the "natural' Mapleglos, so I grabbed that one.

cheers,

audioforce
The classic '60s sound of the Byrds was compression in the recordings. Here's a link with an interview of Roger McGuinn where he talks about endeavoring to get compression live, including the built-in compressor you mention. Roger McGuinn: Rickenbackers, Martins & Byrds

Roger McGuinn is an endorser of the Janglebox pedal.
Old 12th January 2019
  #95
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
The classic '60s sound of the Byrds was compression in the recordings. Here's a link with an interview of Roger McGuinn where he talks about endeavoring to get compression live, including the built-in compressor you mention. Roger McGuinn: Rickenbackers, Martins & Byrds

Roger McGuinn is an endorser of the Janglebox pedal.
I agree with you on the Byrds sound and compression. McGuinn has been very vocal about the compression thing. I read up again on the on-board compressor. For some reason I thought his old guitar had one, but I see it actually appeared first on his "Signature model". That's actually what I remembered reading some time ago, too.

But the Pyramid flat wounds are part of e.g. the Beatles / British thing. They used them, apparently. At least that's what I was schooled, and when I tried them I agreed. See what you think. The flatwound 12-string set. They're expensive but they make it happen. What kind of strings do you usually use?

So I recommend the Pyramids. Also I think Rickenbacker makes a 12-string set of "compressed round/flats" or something like that. I remember trying them and they sounded nice, too. I think they actually came with the guitar. Not Pyramid nice, but nice. : ). Thomastik-Infeld makes some that are supposed to be real good also. I haven't tried them.

Rick 12-string guitars do sound good without compression, too. I don't think only of McGuinn's compressed tone for "the sound". Some of it has to do with the way the string course is reverse of most other 12-strings, right? I use mine for straight ahead Jazz sometimes [like Pat Martino stuff, although I think he used a Gibson 12-string].

I should try that Janglebox thing. I like my old script Dynacomp and I have a bunch of outboard stuff, but I see the Janglebox is getting a lot of love.

You have some nice Rickenbackers. Its like a matched set or something.





cheers,


audioforce
Old 12th January 2019
  #96
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
I agree with you on the Byrds sound and compression. McGuinn has been very vocal about the compression thing. I read up again on the on-board compressor. For some reason I thought his old guitar had one, but I see it actually appeared first on his "Signature model". That's actually what I remembered reading some time ago, too.

But the Pyramid flat wounds are part of e.g. the Beatles / British thing. They used them, apparently. At least that's what I was schooled, and when I tried them I agreed. See what you think. The flatwound 12-string set. They're expensive but they make it happen. What kind of strings do you usually use?

So I recommend the Pyramids. Also I think Rickenbacker makes a 12-string set of "compressed round/flats" or something like that. I remember trying them and they sounded nice, too. I think they actually came with the guitar. Not Pyramid nice, but nice. : ). Thomastik-Infeld makes some that are supposed to be real good also. I haven't tried them.

Rick 12-string guitars do sound good without compression, too. I don't think only of McGuinn's compressed tone for "the sound". Some of it has to do with the way the string course is reverse of most other 12-strings, right? I use mine for straight ahead Jazz sometimes [like Pat Martino stuff, although I think he used a Gibson 12-string].

I should try that Janglebox thing. I like my old script Dynacomp and I have a bunch of outboard stuff, but I see the Janglebox is getting a lot of love.

You have some nice Rickenbackers. Its like a matched set or something.

cheers,

audioforce
I appreciate your post very much, thank you.

If it works I hope you can check out the Janglebox. From your description of your playing it may not be what you need.

I've avoided talking about Pyramids because I decided on strings a few days ago. The neck is way out on this 330/12. I'm taking it in tomorrow for a truss rod adjustment and so at the same time I'm also getting a setup and new strings. I've discussed strings with the Luthier doing the work and I decided on 9's. I'm bringing him Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Here's what I decided from low E: 42/24 32/16 24/11 16/9 11/11 9/9

I plan on recording at least one of my originals with this 330/12, but I'm also interested in a very playable gigging guitar for the half dozen covers we do that may work with a 12 string.
Old 12th January 2019
  #97
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I appreciate your post very much, thank you.

If it works I hope you can check out the Janglebox. From your description of your playing it may not be what you need.

I've avoided talking about Pyramids because I decided on strings a few days ago. I'm taking in the 330/12 tomorrow. I'd just change the strings but the neck is way out, it needs the truss rods to be adjusted. I've discussed strings with the Luthier doing the work and I decided on 9's. I'm bringing him Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Here's what I decided from low E: 42/24 32/16 24/11 16/9 11/11 9/9

I plan on recording at least one of my originals with this 330/12, but I'm also interested in a very playable gigging guitar for the half dozen covers we do that may work with a 12 string.
Oh, I see. FWIW, Pyramid makes a set gauged like that too, but they are round wound. Not sure if they make a flatwound set with 9 - 42. D'Addario is another option. I tried their half-round set once and I think they sounded good, iirc. You might like them.

But if you have already made a decision to try the Ernie Balls I hope it works out, That seems kind of light to me for a 12-string, because they tend to buzz and "rub" against each other, but your repairman will prolly have it sussed. And it may be a cool, jangly thing. It will be easy to play with those gauges, I would think.

Here's a link to the light gauge Pyramids [which I have not tried, btw].

Pyramid Superior Pure Nickel Hand Round Wound 12-string Electric 9-42


Those are definitely some nice guitars, man. I'd like to get a 6-string Rick. One day, I hope.


cheers,


audioforce
Old 13th January 2019
  #98
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Oh, I see. FWIW, Pyramid makes a set gauged like that too, but they are round wound. Not sure if they make a flatwound set with 9 - 42. D'Addario is another option. I tried their half-round set once and I think they sounded good, iirc. You might like them.

But if you have already made a decision to try the Ernie Balls I hope it works out, That seems kind of light to me for a 12-string, because they tend to buzz and "rub" against each other, but your repairman will prolly have it sussed. And it may be a cool, jangly thing. It will be easy to play with those gauges, I would think.

Here's a link to the light gauge Pyramids [which I have not tried, btw].

Pyramid Superior Pure Nickel Hand Round Wound 12-string Electric 9-42

Those are definitely some nice guitars, man. I'd like to get a 6-string Rick. One day, I hope.

cheers,

audioforce
I hope that your hope is fulfilled in the future with the Rickenbackers you'd like to play and own.

My 330/12 after being worked on today is now amazing. Low action, plays like a dream. The 9's are perfect. I can't guarantee that everyone can put 9's on Rickenbacker 12 string and have it be this perfect. A Master Luthier worked on my guitar, he's one of my best friends. He's a former Rickenbacker employee. I'm very fortunate to have such a great friend, and not just for his Luthier skills.
Old 13th January 2019
  #99
Lives for gear
 

Cool, man. Ernie Ball roundwounds, right? I like Ernie Ball strings. Nice clear sound. They don’t seem to last very long, but they sound good new. I’m usually using new strings in the studio anyway. Do they buzz against each other at all to get that sound? So it plays like buttah, huh? : )

audioforce
Old 13th January 2019
  #100
Lives for gear
 
Denny McNerney's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Actually at Shea they had AC100s....about 80 watts ...huge at the time. Like Showmans. The screams would have drowned out anything though.

But yeah...no PA
I was there, in 1965 and 1966. The screaming was so loud that they might as well been using Fender Champs.

The screaming was terrifying. But you could tell that they were playing live.
Old 13th January 2019
  #101
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Cool, man. Ernie Ball roundwounds, right? I like Ernie Ball strings. Nice clear sound. They don’t seem to last very long, but they sound good new. I’m usually using new strings in the studio anyway. Do they buzz against each other at all to get that sound? So it plays like buttah, huh? : )

audioforce
I had him put on Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound 9's in the classic pink package. I've been using Super Slinky 9's on all my guitars since the '60s and I wanted them on the 330/12. Yes there is some buzzing when not plugged in, but when amplified the buzzing is nonexistent.

I don't know what was previously on the guitar, it had a wound G and when my friend cut them off he said he thought they were 10's. Comparing the before and after tone is what I expected, the Super Slinkys are bright and sound fantastic. I'm taking it to practice tomorrow to see how it performs in a band context for the approximately six songs max that could work with a 12 string. We have a gig this week, it would be fun to gig it particularly because I now have the Janglebox on my pedalboard full time.
Old 25th July 2020
  #102
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
... it had a wound G and when my friend cut them off he said he thought they were 10's.
I borrowed a Ricky for a UK visit gig, and of course they have flatwounds with a wound g... was quite a shock, come crazy solo time 🤣 but everything else sounded beautiful - shorter scale, so 10s, rather than 9s (too light for me on any guitar, I see why people like 9s though, would be v sparkly and the bass end strings respond to pick more easily), but the heavier guage had a great REM like jangly tone and plenty of low depth -

If you get one with the intonation set right... they really chime
Old 25th July 2020
  #103
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennomac View Post
I borrowed a Ricky for a UK visit gig, and of course they have flatwounds with a wound g... was quite a shock, come crazy solo time but everything else sounded beautiful - shorter scale, so 10s, rather than 9s (too light for me on any guitar, I see why people like 9s though, would be v sparkly and the bass end strings respond to pick more easily), but the heavier guage had a great REM like jangly tone and plenty of low depth -

If you get one with the intonation set right... they really chime
I'm glad you had a great experience with a Rickenbacker! If you play a Rickenbacker again you definitely need to check out the JangleBox line of pedals because JangleBox truly delivers the magic of the Rickenbacker '60s jangle.

Edit to add:

I love Rickenbacker guitars and I'm posting this additional post merely to perhaps further a Rickenbacker discussion.

I've said many times in this forum that 99% of the time I play a Strat. I happened to buy a Rickenbacker 360 just before I signed up on this forum and I just grabbed the first username that came to mind, RicTone, but my name is not Rick and I rarely play my Rickenbackers. But I do record with them (for reference my musical background is playing in cover bands but I'm always writing and recording originals.) I cherish Rickenbacker guitars because they are fine, unique and wonderful instruments.

I now own four Rickenbackers and even though for me they have shortcomings (I prefer a Fender scale and wider necks) I still love playing them.
Old 26th July 2020
  #104
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I'm glad you had a great experience with a Rickenbacker! If you play a Rickenbacker again you definitely need to check out the JangleBox line of pedals because JangleBox truly delivers the magic of the Rickenbacker '60s jangle.

Edit to add:

I love Rickenbacker guitars and I'm posting this additional post merely to perhaps further a Rickenbacker discussion.

I've said many times in this forum that 99% of the time I play a Strat. I happened to buy a Rickenbacker 360 just before I signed up on this forum and I just grabbed the first username that came to mind, RicTone, but my name is not Rick and I rarely play my Rickenbackers. But I do record with them (for reference my musical background is playing in cover bands but I'm always writing and recording originals.) I cherish Rickenbacker guitars because they are fine, unique and wonderful instruments.

I now own four Rickenbackers and even though for me they have shortcomings (I prefer a Fender scale and wider necks) I still love playing them.
I really want a good Ric 12 but have not yet had the extra cash. Maybe now is the time, if people start selling off stuff due to Covid.......

I do usually prefer a slightly wider , but fairly thin, neck.
Old 26th July 2020
  #105
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I really want a good Ric 12 but have not yet had the extra cash. Maybe now is the time, if people start selling off stuff due to Covid.......

I do usually prefer a slightly wider , but fairly thin, neck.
Hi John,

First of all, you are my favorite forum member, as I've told you :-) and I want to wish you well regarding your hip. I'm sure your hip is much more painful than you described in a recent post. I also had an arthritic hip and got an artificial hip eight months ago. I hope you get a new artificial hip. Medical science is amazingly great when it comes to hip replacement.

In terms of a Rickenbacker 12 string I have a connection that will keep an eye out for you.

Yes the neck isn't as wide as I'd like either.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1443 views: 21708
Avatar for Teddy Ray
Teddy Ray 6th October 2010
replies: 137 views: 14618
Avatar for rack gear
rack gear 24th May 2012
replies: 84 views: 28504
Avatar for Mikomi
Mikomi 8th August 2019
replies: 53 views: 7866
Avatar for Jeff Scott
Jeff Scott 5th February 2013
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump