The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rickenbacker 325: Why does no one play one?
Old 20th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Actually at Shea they had AC100s....about 80 watts ...huge at the time. Like Showmans. The screams would have drowned out anything though.

But yeah...no PA
For the time the PA system was pretty bad ass actually. But I agree that nobody probably heard anything.

Old 20th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
For the time the PA system was pretty bad ass actually. But I agree that nobody probably heard anything.

It was mainly the house/stadium PA, with some column speakers out front of the stage to "help" supplant it.

But they did advance things a bit the following week in Atlanta by having monitors for the first time!

TH
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Head
Does anyone on this thread actually have a 325? What strings do you use?
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post

That picture is the same pic I've seen labeled as Woodstock in other places , Wonder what the truth is?
Old 26th November 2017
A few years ago at Namm I talked to the old guy there, can't recall his name. he was there in the 1960's too. I mentioned I saw a pic of Lennon on tour in Australia and he was playing a black 325 12 string. After a moment he recalled making that one special 12 string version for him after George got the 320.

That must have been a beast to tune as it also had a vibrato.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
A few years ago at Namm I talked to the old guy there, can't recall his name. he was there in the 1960's too. I mentioned I saw a pic of Lennon on tour in Australia and he was playing a black 325 12 string. After a moment he recalled making that one special 12 string version for him after George got the 320.

That must have been a beast to tune as it also had a vibrato.
Yes I played it while at EMI in 1969.

Here's a very blurry shot, which was included in the book "The Beatles Gear"...of me holding it in the gear room where we ....and....THEY....stored their equipment.

Funky and crazy out of tune lol

TH
Attached Thumbnails
Rickenbacker 325: Why does no one play one?-325-12.jpg  
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

I bought a 325 copy once because I thought it looked cool. It felt like a toy, had a stupidly narrow neck and actually looked pretty daft in the hands of someone six foot tall. So I sold it again.
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
I bought a 325 copy once because I thought it looked cool. It felt like a toy, had a stupidly narrow neck and actually looked pretty daft in the hands of someone six foot tall.
This just makes me want one even more!

I'd love a 325-V59, but that seemed to be a short-lived reissue. The current 325 iteration doesn't quite do it for me aesthetically; the huge knobs and Bigsby on the V59 were icing on the cake.

Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

I have a 480 which is a fairly unique mode, shaped like their basses.
It had those really thin frets when I got it and since they were paper thin I would up having to re-fret it.

I would up putting super jumbo frets in it and it plays like a dream now. Its a full 24 frets too which is pretty cool too.

What most people have a hard time getting used to on a Rick is the neck doesn't widen a whole lot as you move up the neck. It takes awhile getting used to having consistent neck width all the way up like that. Once you do however its actually as easy to play as any other guitar. The larger frets helped out too. I use really tall frets and my fingers don't even touch the fret board so its more like playing a fluted neck. It can make a thinner neck like a rick feel larger too.

Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

DP
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Not a 325 but:

Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

I love my Rics, a '66 450/6 and a '68 360/12. Not all Rics are created equal. Around '72 they changed the truss rod design and the guitar necks got a lot fatter. Even the Carl Wilson models which were supposed to be copies of the '60s model was a full 1/4 thicker at the nut, although they did a great job at the 12th. I like the thinner necks precisely cuz I can play faster on them and they are oh so comfy. 7.25 radius, yeah baby. Rics are no thinner at the nut than a vintage Tele, and nobody complains about those. Rics are 1/4' thinner at the 12th fret than my Strat but I have no problem playing at the 12th more than down by the nut. I own at least one of most standard guitars in everyone's collection, but my little 450 is easily the most versatile. Love the 3/4 neck, I can bend notes into outer space. Nothing gives better pinch harmonics than a toaster.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Why no Rics? For me, way too scrawny necks, and I don't like the pickups. They're well made, but not for me at all.
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Yes I played it while at EMI in 1969.

Here's a very blurry shot, which was included in the book "The Beatles Gear"...of me holding it in the gear room where we ....and....THEY....stored their equipment.

Funky and crazy out of tune lol

TH
Were you in the Ramones?
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Were you in the Ramones?
No a band from St Louis signed to EMI....

Amazon.com: aerovons
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
That picture is the same pic I've seen labeled as Woodstock in other places , Wonder what the truth is?
I doubt this is from Woodstock as people related to some of the folks at the Fillmore East and Bill Grahams staff were somewhat involved if memory serves me and the guys in this photo are definitely not from that group. Also, in Ron Howard's recent movie they show these guys while talking about how the main PA were the horns used to announce the batters as they came up to the plate. My guess is these are the guys who ran the PA for Mets games. Bands did not have their own sound crew in those days.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

I like Rics, a 660 is my main guitar.

I've played a few 325s and other short scale Ric models over the years. They all feel like toys with uneven plunky attack, like there isn't enough downward pressure on the bridge.

They can of course do that lo fi chunky rhythm thing that John did. It makes perfect sense how that sound worked for them at the time. It does not mean the guitar is good for anything else. But if you aren't large, I bet it would work pretty well as a Nashville strung guitar as other short scale electrics can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
I love my Rics, a '66 450/6 and a '68 360/12. Not all Rics are created equal. Around '72 they changed the truss rod design and the guitar necks got a lot fatter. Even the Carl Wilson models which were supposed to be copies of the '60s model was a full 1/4 thicker at the nut, although they did a great job at the 12th. I like the thinner necks precisely cuz I can play faster on them and they are oh so comfy. 7.25 radius, yeah baby. Rics are no thinner at the nut than a vintage Tele, and nobody complains about those. Rics are 1/4' thinner at the 12th fret than my Strat but I have no problem playing at the 12th more than down by the nut. I own at least one of most standard guitars in everyone's collection, but my little 450 is easily the most versatile. Love the 3/4 neck, I can bend notes into outer space. Nothing gives better pinch harmonics than a toaster.
Are you sure that is what you have ? 450s are not short scale - depending on the version they range from 24.5 to 25 inches, while a 325 is only 21" = and the 450 and 360 have a 10" radius fingerboard.

I do complain about the way vintage (or any) Telecasters (or Strats, etc, especially Jaguars) play - they aren't for me, I don't like those round boards, narrow necks, or string trees. And vintage Teles did come in 4 different widths - but even the narrow one plays better than most Rics because the radius on the Tele makes it feel wider. Actual surface area on the board is greater with the radius.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleharmonium View Post

Are you sure that is what you have ? 450s are not short scale - depending on the version they range from 24.5 to 25 inches, while a 325 is only 21" = and the 450 and 360 have a 10" radius fingerboard.

I do complain about the way vintage (or any) Telecasters (or Strats, etc, especially Jaguars) play - they aren't for me, I don't like those round boards, narrow necks, or string trees. And vintage Teles did come in 4 different widths - but even the narrow one plays better than most Rics because the radius on the Tele makes it feel wider. Actual surface area on the board is greater with the radius.
Haha! Yeah, pretty sure.

Never really measured the scale but the Rics feel short like the LP, not like the strat. The radius is rounder than the strat which I know is 9.5" radius. The LP (60's neck) feels almost flat in comparison.

BTW - My favorite thing about the 450 is how easy it is to adjust the intonation. You can't, Haha! Don't really miss the adjustability since it's perfect every time.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha! Yeah, pretty sure.

Never really measured the scale but the Rics feel short like the LP, not like the strat. The radius is rounder than the strat which I know is 9.5" radius. The LP (60's neck) feels almost flat in comparison.
They are more like the Les Paul, but the Les Paul is a full scale instrument, much longer in scale than a 3/4 scale guitar, and the Ric 325 is short even compared to other 3/4 guitars.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

This is the one I really want. 360F. Have a friend who owns one. It melts into your hands.

Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

That is beautiful.

I have a repro/homage to one of those, but it is a far cry from a real one.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I doubt this is from Woodstock as people related to some of the folks at the Fillmore East and Bill Grahams staff were somewhat involved if memory serves me and the guys in this photo are definitely not from that group. Also, in Ron Howard's recent movie they show these guys while talking about how the main PA were the horns used to announce the batters as they came up to the plate. My guess is these are the guys who ran the PA for Mets games. Bands did not have their own sound crew in those days.
Correct. I saw a doc on that before the Ron Howard film and it was the same guys in the photo. One of the younger guys still alive basically said the same thing. It was a PA designed for outdoor announcements, not music.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is the one I really want. 360F. Have a friend who owns one. It melts into your hands.

Thats purdy
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

I'm A Rick fan, and have no problem with the neck profile. However, a short scale instrument with low output pickups , ANY short scale instrument with low output pickups, is going to be something of a niche instrument for most modern music.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

3/4 necks are difficult, imo, unless its the only guitar you play.

A long time ago, I had a really cool '57 Blonde Byrdland that sounded amazing. But switching back and forth between that and a Les Paul, Strat, and an Alembic [at the time] was so weird that I ended up selling the Byrdland. I kind of wish I still had it now. It was a nice guitar, and I probably could handle the switching back and forth better now than at the time.

But 3/4 necks are definitely different.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
3/4 necks are difficult, imo, unless its the only guitar you play.
21" is even short as 3/4 scales go. In the Fender world, 3/4 scale is 22.5". A 21" scale is about the same as capoing up 3 frets on a Tele or Strat.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

I have one of the 4 blonde custom Norm's Rick 12-strings he talks about in the first part of the video. For some reason he doesn't show the back of the guitar, which is amazing. I'll try to post a pic.

I was right place at right time for once.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Here's one. Mine has a prettier back, but same guitar, I think.

Rickenbacker Custom 360-12 Old Style Maple Glo Guitar | Used Electric Guitars

cheers,

audioforce
Old 19th December 2018
Gear Guru

Being a fan of the look of Rickenbackers but never a player or an owner (except for a 4001 for about a week), I had no idea that it was preferable to string the 12's with flats. How 'bout that.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

The neck on the 325 is absolutely unacceptable to me. I like a wide nut, so that rules out most Rics (except their basses. I love their basses). They are made well, have unique pickups that I don't much care for, narrow necks, and cost a fortune. I even spoke to John Hall about these, and he wasn't about to change anything just to chase fashions (or so he said at the time), and didn't make one-offs. So I own no Ricks, and other than their bass (which I will purchase if I can run across a stupid good deal), I have no desire to. Kind of a shame, since they're a unique well-built instrument with a long lineage, just not for me, I guess. I can admire them, but they're not in my wheelhouse...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search