The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1969, 1970 Marshall Head??
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Nut

Question 1969, 1970 Marshall Head??

Hi all,
I don't know anything really about Marshall amps. But I came across one that belonged to my Dad who bought it when he was real young. I think its a bass head and its in full working order with the usual scratches on the body of the head but nothing major in mint condition really for its age. Im not sure exactly how old it is but I think its a 1969 or 1970 head.

Serial is :9905 A

Can anyone tell me if an amp head like this in full working perfect condition is worth a bit. I know these heads should be worth quite a bit but not sure about this model. Ill post a few pics of it tomorrow. I just wiped the dust off it there today. My dad said it hadnt been used in 20 years and he forgot about it I just pulled it out there and plugged it in - real nice amp - sounds sweet.

Any help on dating it and valuing it roughly would be usefull.

Thanks
James
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Upload the pics and we will definitely tell you. If it's really in decent nick, you might well be onto a winner. Probably any decent old Marshall is going to be collectable.
Old 5th February 2007
[QUOTE=jamesosullivan1;1111593]Hi all,
I don't know anything really about Marshall amps. But I came across one that belonged to my Dad who bought it when he was real young. I think its a bass head and its in full working order with the usual scratches on the body of the head but nothing major in mint condition really for its age. Im not sure exactly how old it is but I think its a 1969 or 1970 head.

Serial is :9905 A

the amp is from 1969. is the surface of the panel metal or plexiglass? if it's plexiglass, it's worth more. does it have 2 big tubes or 4 big tubes in the back? does it have the original trannys? probably if your dad got it when he was younger. the price is determined by the condition of the amp.

take some pics of the head and if you can, the chassis as well.

nice find.....

pete
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

ok here are the photos lads I hope they help. it has all metal gold parts. i think it has written on the back of it 160 watt so it could be a vintage bass head not even sure about that. Here are the photos anyways. I can take more of any area if it helps you all out - id love to know how much and what year this is exactly - pretty sure its a 1969 alright.

Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

unscrue back plate, take the photo of trannys and tubes and tell us what kind of tubes are in

what's written on paper on it? what's this blue light?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

i believe from the serial number it must be a 69/70 marshall, it looks like it has a aluminium panel and no plexi so i guess it´s from 70.
Take a pic of the transformers and tubes.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

you lucky man

that is one very cool and sweet amp

turn it up and enjoy the ride

well done on that find even though it was your dads

oh and never sell it. it is way to cool to get rid of
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Ok so I just gotta screw off the back plate yeah? And then take a few pictures. it all works fine and no noises except the standard noise from a valve head. Il take photos of the tubes now and il get that back plate off.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Early Marshall lettered serial numbers started with: A=1969, B=1970, C=1971 and so on... which is why my near mint smallbox '68 50watt Plexi has no letter suffix
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Yeah its a 1969 alright but wouldnt have a clue of its worth - perfectly sounding though and sweet tone of it. Really vintage sound.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Definitely a smallbox 69.

I have one as well, 50 watt. Like others have stated depending on plexi or aluminum, value is different.

Mint Aluminum is worth $4,000 - $5,000

I picked mine up for $800 heh
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Question

OK so here is a little more information on the marshall head I got.

Serial is: 9905 A
But in the inside as you can see from the label Bass is written. Also on the back on a stabled on piece of plastic from Marshall it has 160Watt written and not a 50Watt as I thought. The serial is definately 1969 but I dont even know if they made Bass heads then - any info here is very welcome?

There are 2 tubes in it - serial is EL 34 - I think

Also the grill on back is alluminium Im pretty sure and not plexi.

Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Oh and that Cab is obviously not part of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its an AVT Cab!!!!!!!!!!! not vintage at alllllllllllllllll tutt
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Serial A 9905 states it is made something between July the 1st of 69 to december 31 of 70.

Because it has no "~65 to~69 lay-down" power transformer and it is a aluminium panel 50watt is guess it is made 70 not 69..... but a great amp.

Someone from Marshall explained that to me some years ago, these "transition" amps are not that easy to date.
I remember him saysing something like: "if it´s an aluminium panel it´s 1970 and up......"

It is 50Watt output from two El34´s and the 160Watt is the power consumption.

Is it a blue LED in the frontpanel or just a reflection?

Take it out of his Cabinet and take some inside pictures if you like to.

Whats the controls on this one? Presence, Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume 1, Volume 2 (from let to right)

I wonder about the "Bass" thing ´cause to my knowledge the Bass models where all 100 and 200 watt models....
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I understand them to be either Super Bass or Super Lead.

Mine is a bass as well.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Nice one Matt for the info,

No the blue light is not a blue light its a tiny sticker of a really old T-Cup on there It looks vintage too - I cant believe my old man had this all these years and said nothing - best thing I found in the attic ever The Bass thing I dont know about.

It looks like a 50 watt but im not sure why bass is written in the inside. Il try and dismantle it and take more photos of it.

Anyone wonder how much it is worth - it has a few scratchs and looks old but in full working condition and sounds fairly nice next to my orange AD30 Valve amp to be honest It is solid as a brick aswell!!!!

1970 is prob the year im guessing - not many this old on ebay at all - oldest i found was 1973 and that was going for 3500 dollars!!!
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Il look at the order of the controls after i grab some dinner here!! nice one for helping out on this one.
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

okay!
watch ebay, plexipalace and gbase for current pricing on old marshalls.If you want to sell it you have a good chance to grab some grands for it, sure!

(i have bought a 100 Super Lead 69´some years ago for under 100Euros.....this times are over)

anyways, keep it!You´ll probably won´t have a chance to get another one.
These are "the amps".Classic british engineering.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHahn View Post
I wonder about the "Bass" thing ´cause to my knowledge the Bass models where all 100 and 200 watt models....
I've got a '72 50W Bass head. One of the best amps I own.

There's a great book called 'The History of Marshall' by Michael Doyle thats got a lot of great info...

Cheers,
john
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW
I think the "Bass" models actually sound better anyway...

A 50watt Bass model is kinda odd though for sure, but man,
THAT is an amp to keep ahold of!!!!!

If you look at the schematic, its VERY minor changes to turn it
into a lead model.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Well as I said it sounds great and with a quick dust down looks even better

It sounds real warm and nice - really full. A few crackles but that could be the tubes at this stage - only faint crackles nothing that would cut through when actually playing.

It looks like it would be worth about 3000 dollars not sure really.

Il strip the head out tomorrow and take more photos - anything in particular i should be photographing???
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesosullivan1 View Post
Well as I said it sounds great and with a quick dust down looks even better

It sounds real warm and nice - really full. A few crackles but that could be the tubes at this stage - only faint crackles nothing that would cut through when actually playing.

It looks like it would be worth about 3000 dollars not sure really.

Il strip the head out tomorrow and take more photos - anything in particular i should be photographing???
Transformers, pots, caps....
Write down ###'s and where they are located.
That'll help you get as close to a production date as anything.
Really though its a 70-ish 50watt, good enough
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut

Tomorrow is a dismantling day and il take loads of photos from the inside. Hopefully that will narrow in on the year and value. nice one
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Terrific amp!

Metal panels started in July '69. But your's is from '70. Which is great because all of the parts used in plexis are were still in use.

One note: the larger box wasn't typically used for 50 watt amps until '72 or so. I say "typically" since with old Marshall you can't make any blanket statements.
But chances are that your head box is later or from a 100 watt from this era.

george
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

Ok im not seeling it - because its just unreal lovely sound. Never heard a tone like it really to be honest about it - its basy but so clean on my gretsch duo jet - sweet Is it easy to convert this to a lead amp and not a bass head?? How is it done? I also want to get a proper cab to suit it and not the one I have. Any suggestions on the cab that would suit it? Nice one for all the help here.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

As I said,
check out the schemo's and you'll see how closely related the bass and lead heads are

really needs a 4x12 to go with it.
Preferably an old Marshall, with Celestions in it

(the lower the wattage, the better)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search