The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe?
Old 4th February 2007
Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe?

It appears these amps are the same beast.
The Fender Blues Deluxe has the tweed covering the Hot Rod Deluxe has the standard black covering with a "more gain" button. Some of the advertisements promote the Blues Deluxe as being a warmer amp. What's different that makes it warmer?
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

different is in the schematics.. as for me, Hot Rod has non-usable higain channel, Blues Deluxe is my choise from them
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Guru

I wish Fender would offer the Blues Deluxe, Reverb hand wired, but the current re-issue
non-hot rod is still a remarkable amp for the money.
Mine's in the shop at the moment, but it worked trouble free for more than 10 years.
Old 6th February 2007
So have you Blues Deluxe users/owners actually realized more warmth from this amp compared to the Hot Rod Deluxe?
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Nut

Hot Rod has really bad drive channel. If you want the clean in a small package, go for the Deluxe Reverb reissue. For crunch, get the one with the EL84 tubes - (blues and blues junior?) That amp actually sounds really good and would be my reco for a cheaper tube amp. Cheers!
Old 6th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddamanic View Post
Hot Rod has really bad drive channel. If you want the clean in a small package, go for the Deluxe Reverb reissue. For crunch, get the one with the EL84 tubes - (blues and blues junior?) That amp actually sounds really good and would be my reco for a cheaper tube amp. Cheers!
The Blues Deluxe is a little harder to find right now than the Hot Rod Deluxe. If the Blues Deluxe is purchased can the tubes be swapped out with the EL84s?
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

I have a 90s Blues Deluxe, and my singer has an 05 HR Deluxe. When we recorded, we wound up using his amp for clean tones - it sounds pretty glassy and smooth. For some of the dirty tones, we used the Blues Deluxe with a Tube Screamer, which turned out very nicely. We also tried an EH Little Big Muff Pi for some interesting lead tones.

All in all, the BD was better for overdriven and generally dirtier sounds, while the HRD was better for clean work.
Old 8th February 2007
How does the Blues Deluxe Jr. sound?
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Im always suprised at how many people like the blues deluxe (and can't believe they reissued it- but yes sales #s disagree with me). The ONLY benefit is the price. Now that I have a 59 princeton- the blues deluxe is a coffee table..... Those amps sound terrible unless CRANKED to 11.... My singer had a hotrod too and I would NEVER buy one of those. I bought my Blues Deluxe in 1996 for a cheap live thrasher tube amp- for that its great! But if you like tone.....ugh. And ICE PICK treble never did much for me! Sadly, for the money, there aren't many better options.......thumbsup
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Guru

The Tweed non-hot rod version is one of the best amps out there for the money
in anything off the shelf.

I almost never had to turn mine past 3 and it was plenty loud for guitar and for a bass rehearsal amp.

I was getting ready to try a Vintage 30 before one of my wife's critters killed the amp.

Theees place is cursed! stike stike stike
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
The Tweed non-hot rod version is one of the best amps out there for the money
in anything off the shelf.

I almost never had to turn mine past 3 and it was plenty loud for guitar and for a bass rehearsal amp.

I was getting ready to try a Vintage 30 before one of my wife's critters killed the amp.

Theees place is cursed! stike stike stike
Man if you didn't play it on 10, you missed the whole reason people like that amp!!!! And I also use it for bass in a pinch! I guess for me, its technically a bass amp now! You're absolutely right about the price though!
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Guru

I generally liked the clean end of this amp, but it also has amazing potential with a good FX rack.
Old 15th February 2007
So basically, your feeling is the Blues Deluxe is better thsn the Hot Rod...correct?
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Try them both at GC with your guitar. Easy as that.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
So basically, your feeling is the Blues Deluxe is better thsn the Hot Rod...correct?
That is the general opinion... but try them at GC is the best idea. You can make up your own mind. thumbsup
Old 15th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
That is the general opinion... but try them at GC is the best idea. You can make up your own mind. thumbsup
The immediate problem with that is simple...GC has the Blues Deluxe but not the Hot Rod and a local music store has the Hot Rod but not the Blues Deluxe. Apparently, the Blues Deluxe is a little harder to get right now. So...the local store (having only the Hot Rod) stated they were essentially both the same amps internally. Not having them side by side I asked here.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The immediate problem with that is simple...GC has the Blues Deluxe but not the Hot Rod and a local music store has the Hot Rod but not the Blues Deluxe. Apparently, the Blues Deluxe is a little harder to get right now. So...the local store (having only the Hot Rod) stated they were essentially both the same amps internally. Not having them side by side I asked here.
Then I would say blues deluxe. And ONLY if you play in clubs or loud (like amp set to 7-10). If its for recording or home or coffee shop size gigs- look at the little tube fenders. You will get WAY more out of your amp if you push the tubes, and the only way to do that is with a hotplate type device or getting an amp you can crank. I went from the 40 watt blues deluxe to a 4 1/2 watt princeton and its WAYYYYY better!

Don't forget, the reason people wanted tube amps was to overdrive the tubes into saturation! If you aren't doing that you are missing half the fun!tutt
Old 15th February 2007
Good point. These are all being considered for studio use not clubs.
That's why I included the Blues Jr.
I already have an 80's Fender Super Champ which has been doing a decent job for recording. However, I recently played a Thinline Tele into the Jr. and loved it. When I went back the little guy was gone so I tried the Blues Deluxe and liked that even more. Two weeks ago I went back and that was gone and the Hot Rod sat there. I didn't even want to plug it in at that point. So I started asking questions. I'm hoping to find at least two of these amps next to each other before making a decision.
I may venture out tonight to GC if they have any of the two amps on the floor.
Thanks for ther replies.

Quote:
Then I would say blues deluxe. And ONLY if you play in clubs or loud (like amp set to 7-10). If its for recording or home or coffee shop size gigs- look at the little tube fenders. You will get WAY more out of your amp if you push the tubes, and the only way to do that is with a hotplate type device or getting an amp you can crank. I went from the 40 watt blues deluxe to a 4 1/2 watt princeton and its WAYYYYY better!

Don't forget, the reason people wanted tube amps was to overdrive the tubes into saturation! If you aren't doing that you are missing half the fun!tutt
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Good luck. And Ill say, lastly, EVERY time I a/b the princeton and the blues deluxe for ANYBODY( and I mean from my studio owner to my non- musical friends)- they all say the blues deluxe sounds like crap. I compare them at lower volumes than the 40 watt BD would prefer, so it shows even more. But when I turn the princeton way down... It still sounds good.
I think you are on the right track with the Pro Jr. or something comparable. The only time I recommend a blues deluxe is for club gigging. And even then its ONLY if you can't afford anything better.
I post more on this than I normally would because once I bailed the blues deluxe, I felt cheated for all the wasted time I used it! It really pays to find a tone you LOVE.... worth saving for.
Old 15th February 2007
BTW are you referring to the newer Princeton Recording Amp? I think it's 20 watts.
Cost is a grand.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Jamz... I will be in your neck of the woods today... I'm bringing an AC30. Use it. Abuse it. Make that bitch scream. I'll be there around 5...
Old 15th February 2007
How timely. My X5 needs a jump...buddy
It's lease is over in a month. I just got off the phone with my dealer discussing a new car. Add that to my looking list.

BTW I've got a Blues Jr. on ice at GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Jamz... I will be in your neck of the woods today... I'm bringing an AC30. Use it. Abuse it. Make that bitch scream. I'll be there around 5...
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Guru

I played my Blues Deluxe recording and at jams and live at open mic nights.

It handled screaming guitars, crunch rhythm, clean guitars and nice cut through the chaos bass parts all at reasonable volumes.

It worked for keyboard too and you could haul it in ANY vehicle easily without busting your nuts.

It might be even better with a Vintage 30, but mine blew before I had a chance to try it.

If you take good care of it, it should hold you for quite a while and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Looking back at my records, mine was 13 years old before it developed any trouble
at all.

The only better amp Fender is selling right now is the custom shop 60 watt hand wired Vibro King and that's louder, heavier and costs $1900.00

The local store is selling an original 65 Deluxe Reverb in very clean condition for $2499.00
Old 17th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Jamz... I will be in your neck of the woods today... I'm bringing an AC30. Use it. Abuse it. Make that bitch scream.
Aah! the Bee-atch did scream. I've always loved the AC-30 but your little trick MAY have surpassed my expectations. Thanks....from a Sublime Believer...in stores soon...spreading the Disease
Old 17th February 2007
Quote:

The guitar player I recorded with today has a Hot Rod. He made the same claim regarding loudness of the amp. He tours constantly (typically RnB artists) and said he rarely turns his amp above 1.5. He mentioned looking into a smaller amp for all the reasons you listed. I have a Blues Junior on hold for me. As soon as I get a minute I'm picking it up.
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

Cool. I can't wait to hear it with the tricked out AC30 in the song. What I heard while I was there was awesome.
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Guru

I really like the idea of the tweed Blues Jr or the Princeton recording amp IF your primary focus is lead guitar, but the Blues Deluxe will give you much better clean headroom for everything else.

I'm really having a tough time deciding what to do myself.

I can buy the Blues Deluxe and install a Vintage 30 for a hell of a lot less
than almost any other system for a muli-purpose recording combo amp.

My neighbor keeps telling me that I should just pick up a hand wired Bassman
and have it tweaked for the studio.

What I really want is a hand wired PTP, Fender/Vox/Marshall multi-amp switchable between a pair of 6L6's and EL 84's with a class "A" 15-18 watt option and up to 50 watts AB.
Old 17th February 2007
Quote:
I really like the idea of the tweed Blues Jr or the Princeton recording amp IF your primary focus is lead guitar, but the Blues Deluxe will give you much better clean headroom for everything else.

I'm really having a tough time deciding what to do myself.

I can buy the Blues Deluxe and install a Vintage 30 for a hell of a lot less
than almost any other system for a muli-purpose recording combo amp.

My neighbor keeps telling me that I should just pick up a hand wired Bassman
and have it tweaked for the studio.
I hear ya. I'm leaning towards the Jr. for now. Perhaps the Blues Deluxe or Vox AC30 in the near future. For the reasons you stated.
I own an 80's Fender Super Champ and there's been a tweed Victoria 4x10 on loan here for the last few years. The Victoria is sweet but as stated above in order to make it sing you have to turn it up to scream. LOUD amp.

Quote:
What I really want is a hand wired PTP, Fender/Vox/Marshall multi-amp switchable between a pair of 6L6's and EL 84's with a class "A" 15-18 watt option and up to 50 watts AB.
Yeah!! me too. Wouldn't that be perfect
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

I just picked up a late '90's (USA made) hot rod. Haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, but it is a very usable amp. Granted, the one I have has been modded a bit. Reading around quite a bit on them, there are a few realtively simple things you can do to them to make them a much better amp... like change the tubes, switch out the speaker (this seems to be a big one), and replace the volume with audio taper pots instead of the linear taper that are stock (which is wht it's so loud at low settings).

Mine came with one of the nicer celestions in it and it sounds pretty good as is. The "more gain" half-channel/feature is definitely useless. Planning on modding the volume pots to audio taper soon. There are a ton of other mods that can be done to it (as you can with most fender tube amps) as well, depending on what you're shooting for.
---
c
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah!! me too. Wouldn't that be perfect
Randall makes that quad preamp. Get that and the VHT Two/Fifty/Two Power Amp. BAM! Your dreams will become reality.... and your dreams are rackable.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/pro...ts/mtsrack.asp

http://www.vhtamp.com/frames.html

The benefits of separate pre amp/power amps have gone forgotten in recent years. I could go into it, but that would be another thread.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search