The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barber Tone Press pedal
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Barber Tone Press pedal

Just wondering if any of you have tried this pedal. I've read one good review but no one here carries them. The blend (uncompressed/compressed)knob looks like it could do good things.

And if anyone wanted to chime in on any other Barber pedals or other compressor pedals, cool.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

bump
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Addict

Have it - use it - love it.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Dave Barber is a good guy - his products are one of the few pedals that the DIY community really respect as being new designs, and not just high-priced clones of vintage pedals.

Very good stuff - very well made.
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Nut

Parallel compression, you'll love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sands View Post
Have it - use it - love it.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Head

simply put i use it on my tone all the time i feel extremely comfortable with it on at all times...really makes everything even. I highly reccomend the BARBER pedals...the SS drive rules too!!!
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

I got one recently. It's something that does what it does very well. I listened to a Keeley a few days before and the Keeley had more obvious pump to it and couldn't get quite as transparent as the Barber to my ears. Also, the resale on the Barber is solid, so check one out and then resell it on the TGP if you don't like it.

I've also got a Barber Silver LTD OD (for sale) that rocks, but just isn't getting used since I'm in love with my OCD's and Menatone Dirty Blonde. I also just got Barber's new fuzz the Trifecta, which is great. If you're a Muff lover, you should check this out
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. I have a Carl Martin Compressor pedal and it can be very cool but the lack of a true bypass iritates me. I can hear it in the chain even when it' s off.

Mostly clean country, swing jazz here. But once in awhile, I must do it: step on the Proco Rat.
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Addict

I`ve just got delivery with Tone Press.Sound is great , highest quality but i wish it had release control - it is too slow.
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Addict

After plugging bass guitar i`ve noticed there`s edgy coloration vs. signal straight to DI unit.Customer support is poor - i`ve sent to Barber private message 4th of December- still no answer.
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Nut

It's still a battery powered stomp box compressor, and as such the compressor side is certainly "colored" just as all the others are, though by mixing the phase corrected input signal back in you can minimize that and keep the normal attack.

If you want transparent compression for DI recording you'll need a pro audio compressor (rack unit etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
After plugging bass guitar i`ve noticed there`s edgy coloration vs. signal straight to DI unit.Customer support is poor - i`ve sent to Barber private message 4th of December- still no answer.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

I build them and use them... I use it on bass a lot in my studio.
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Maniac

It's my main comp for my big guitar board. I love it and keep it on constantly. I only tweak the mix knob from song to song.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well Private message is not tech support... Try calling David that always seems to work if you call the company.. I'm sure he will be happy to help you. Not often you hear that because most of the time once you get Dave on the phone you can't get off and he gives more info and help then was needed.

Try calling he does not visit forums very often.
Old 18th December 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:

Are you using hot pickups? any other pedals? could you discuss "edgy coloration" a little more in depth.

This is my 5th post here and about my 10th time visiting...so:

Try contacting customer service, we don't use Gear Slutz as a service point...I just stop in once in a while for fun, or because I get contacted by a customer mentioning that there is a post here concerning me or my products, like this post. Please don't expect private messages at a forum to be customer service...the emails and phone on my site are the only supported methods, please use those for "customer service".

Thanks!

edit: I see Ronni already gave the speech about where "tech support" can be found...sorry if this was redundant. :-)
Old 22nd December 2007
Gear Addict

Hello David , i found somwhere here Your post about customer support where you said "send me pm" to somebody so i thought its the way to expect your support.I tested Tone Press with single coil equiped guitar and George L cables straight to Hiwatt Custom 50.Signal coming after Tone Press is brighter than straight to amp.There was the same effect using bass guitar with passive pickups to Chandler TG2 >>>AD.
I would decribe this colr as "edgy".Internal pot dont resolve this problem in pleasant manner to me.It is good unit overall especially as booster with small amount of compression but as ive written to your pm it lacks attack or release controll.Thats all.
respect
IAN
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search