The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI Programming - Realistic Guitars? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd March 2019
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear

For me, MIDI works great as a songwriting tool, and in recording, it's great for recording keys. If the sounds weren't quite right for the song, you can change the sounds, while keeping the performance.

But for recording guitar, bass, or drums for a commercial project? Nope. I far prefer the real deal. It doesn't hurt that I play all those instruments, but the chief reason for me is that music is a human endeavour, meant for human consumption. Human feeling is not present in machines, and I think recordings based on sequencing everything have that fact glaringly obvious to most humans.

There was a band, whose music I liked, named Magellan who used sequenced drums on their recording. Although well done, it was an obvious flaw to me, and such a weak spot on the recordings. I would MUCH prefer that they used a real drummer; the recordings had an artificial feel, a definite lack of something, because they sequenced the drums.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

My mom wanted some solo time and signed me up for guitar lessons at the YMCA in 1968.

Being an A/V studio owner, DJ with a 12kW, 4x4 Crown/JBL/Vega rig, with 23 DMX/MIDI controlled fixtures, a roadie/video producer for a local band, and a gopher/A1/network engineer/web designer/LD/repair tech/floor sweepin lumberjack for a well respected production/rental house in this top ten US city... who owns 3 cats... I managed to steal two hours yesterday playing guitar, and that's about it, since at least 3 weeks ago.

I can get sequencers and PCs to do some pretty kewl things, among them, drivin guitar VSTis, and when I DO get to play, I like to play with a "full band", so I own Real LPC, Strat and Guitar, MoR, Lounge Lizard Strumpthin or other, Ample Free, SI Bass, Boo Bass, Ample Bass, GR5, IK's A3 and 4, Bias Amp, Bias FX, THD, all the Pou dealios, and who knows how many guitar-ish samples, included but not limited to Dimension, SampleTank 2.5 and 3, Rapture, Kontact, and, on hardware, a Korg 05rw, DX-7, SD-80, VZ-10m, coupla other Casios and Yammies, a Fishman Triple Play and, to me....

NONE OF THEM SOUND LIKE A REAL GUITAR...

...but...

I LOVE playing my Triple Play thru this badass 4 part sax patch I cobbled up in SampleTank, and so does EVERY OTHER guitarist who's tried it.

It FEELS GOOD!

I could jam all night to rhythm electric guitar supplied by MoR, and at least a couple hours to Real LPC, and can avoid puking when playing "lead" over acoustic Ample and Real Guitar, if I turn it down and add lots of verb.

I'd WAY rather have a real player jamming with me, but at 3 am when I find 5 minutes of free time, they're off chasin girls and krelly, so the fakes get er done...

I like this... even though I'm kinda pretty sure it isn't a real guitar:

YouTube

This too:

YouTube

This'll prolly cook yer CPU, but it covers a lot of ground, and hey, molten silicon tells you where the brick wall really lives:

YouTube

But what I REALLY like is knockin down steel and concrete buildings with an SG, thru a Marshall, into a PA measured in MW, even tho I settle for kilo's, these days.

You grumpy ****ers need to... do somethin different. You ain't right. You get just so many days on this mudball, and this here's one of em.

Go smile.

:-)
Old 24th March 2019
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I can usually get really good local players to come for an hour to lay down a part for a song for around $50, give or take a bit. If the session was for a label it would be more, and if it was a soundtrack they'd expect to get more when payment came
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

I finally found what brought me to this thread in the first place.

Vir2 Electri6ity.

It might help you.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c2a9416 View Post
Somebody smack him and wake him up.

Did you really expect a bunch of guitarists to get enthusiastic about methods of replacing them?

It's like any other instrument. Drum machines have been around for quite a while, but they still can't replace a good drummer. This will work for a background accompaniment, but once it steps out to the front of the soundstage, it will be revealed for what it is. I feel the same way about horns.
Old 10th April 2019
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Somebody smack him and wake him up.

Did you really expect a bunch of guitarists to get enthusiastic about methods of replacing them?

It's like any other instrument. Drum machines have been around for quite a while, but they still can't replace a good drummer. This will work for a background accompaniment, but once it steps out to the front of the soundstage, it will be revealed for what it is. I feel the same way about horns.
Well champ. Wasn't eluding to drum machines or virtual vsti's. Read the posts before gobbing off.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c2a9416 View Post
Well champ. Wasn't eluding to drum machines or virtual vsti's. Read the posts before gobbing off.
I did. Maybe YOU should.
Old 10th April 2019
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
I did. Maybe YOU should.
drank coffee . apologies lol
Old 15th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Programmed midi guitar never sounds real. The fact that keyboard players don't think like guitars players is only the start of it.
I have an excellent Terratec guitar/midi converter here. It tracks perfectly. Yes, you can strum on it too. Load up any guitar patch and it sounds, well, fake. It's not the playing that gives it away, it's the sounds.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Midi doesn't have a hope of ever replacing a real guitar. It's more than just pitch and volume. I can pinch harmonics on a real guitar. I can play closer to the neck or the bridge for different tone. The acoustic vibrations from the strings and body/neck/amp interacting with each other can be "played". To build a midi controller that does all of that, you would have to build something that looks a whole lot like a guitar. Oh yeah, I can completely change how my controller responds and plays simply by putting down the LP and picking up the Strat, now it's a whole new ballgame. Midi guitar is for people who can't play guitar, which is fine. I can't play the sax and use midi, but it will never sound as good as a real sax player. As far as using one to play a synth, meh....way too slow to be of much use to me. Maybe the tech has improved, but it sure sucked last time I checked.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search