The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for mother of all metal amp
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

Looking for mother of all metal amp

Ive been thinking lately that my Mesa Mark IV is not cutting it anymore. I put a Maxon OD808 in front of it and I'm still not satisfied. People have been telling me to check out the Engl Powerball. What do you guys use for balls to the wall metal?
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

What about the Diezel Amps? Some people swear on these babies!!!
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I think a lot of people would agree that the typical metal amp is a Mesa Rectifer. I don't know if you're swearing off Mesa amps, but if you aren't and you haven't tried out a Rectifier, I think that would be a good place to start.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

Most used by a lot of 'big" bands: Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple rectifiers

Some others: Madison http://madisonamps.com/2007/enter.htm, Krank http://www.krankamps.com/, Randall http://www.randallamplifiers.com/ and Rivera (Knucklehead) http://www.rivera.com/knuckle.php. A lot of people use Marshalls too JCM etc

OH yeah notable: http://www.bogneramplification.com/UberschallInfo.htm
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityRobert View Post
Most used by high end bands: Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple rectifiers

Some others: Madison http://madisonamps.com/2007/enter.htm, Krank http://www.krankamps.com/, Randall http://www.randallamplifiers.com/ and Rivera (Knucklehead) http://www.rivera.com/knuckle.php. A lot of people use Marshalls too JCM etc

OH yeah notable: http://www.bogneramplification.com/UberschallInfo.htm
What the heck is a highend band? hehe heh

Good list. but you missed the #1 amp used by Metal bands--the 5150. By Far, it is on the most new metal records. The DR is #1 for Modern Rock but I think the tide is changing a bit.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
What the heck is a highend band? hehe heh

Good list. but you missed the #1 amp used by Metal bands--the 5150. By Far, it is on the most new metal records. The DR is #1 for Modern Rock but I think the tide is changing a bit.
Haha, I see my brain shutdown early that day

Editted.

I've "heard' the 5150 makes a great live amp but for recording purposes it might be better to pick something else up instead.
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

I use a Laney GH100S for a range of metal from Doom to Black Metal. I love it but some people hate it because it has a unique tone. Think Eyehategod, Black Sabbath, Kyuss etc... Balls deep Bass & drive but without the fizzy treble.

Metal amp of the moment has to be the Krank Krankenstein. Sovtek Mig 100 is worth a listen too.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Krank Krankenstien is unholy!!! That thing rips. The cab is great sounding to with the speakers that sound like "Texas Fry" =)

Big thumbs up for Krank Amps

Also I've heard some sweet tones and real balls emitting from :

-Orange Amps + Cabs
-Mesa Oversized 412's
-Mesa Dual Recto's
-Deizel Amps
-Soldano Amps
-Bogner Heads
-Hughes & Kettner Warp 7
-Some Randall Amps
-Peavey 5150 Half Stack
-Marshall JMP-1
-A Boss Metalzone heh (Just Kidding)

Seriously though, listen to a Krank Krankenstien w/ matching cab. Its pretty disgustingly violent sounding

P.S. As a serious 5150 fan, I would have to agree that it's not as great for recording as it is for a live amp. The things rock stages like it's nobody's business but the crispy presence isn't always wanted in the studio. Not saying they can't work, just that the guy who said they are harder to get a tone out of in the studio has a point imo.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Diezel
Krank
Engl(My personel favorite)
VHT
Peavy 5150 or triple XXX
Mesap dual/triple recto and stiletto
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear
Peavey 5150 is the hot **** tits and ass of metal. Blend it with a Mesa dual rec and you are set.
Old 29th January 2007
That's the truth! I will second the triple xxx as well, bad ass amp
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
That's the truth! I will second the triple xxx as well, bad ass amp
Triple XXX is great. can't touch a Krank though =)
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Diezel VH4 , Diezel Herbert, or Elmwood 3100

All will knock your head off
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
P.S. As a serious 5150 fan, I would have to agree that it's not as great for recording as it is for a live amp. The things rock stages like it's nobody's business but the crispy presence isn't always wanted in the studio. Not saying they can't work, just that the guy who said they are harder to get a tone out of in the studio has a point imo.
I disagree 100%. I have watched some awesome Roadrunner albums get made that are coming out this quarter, and the 5150 was used on every one. It helps to put a TS9 in front, and you have to know how to dial that thing up, but it's a go to amp in metal studios.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Cornford Ritchie Kotzen is pretty awesome.

Also:

Diezal VH4 ONLY (Not Einstein, etc.)
Bogner Uberschall
Soldano SLO 100

Not really into Krank or Boogie- sound ok when played, but not as good recorded.
Old 2nd February 2007
Rivera Knucklehead

Hi, two years ago I played a Rivera Knucklehead. It was an amazing 4 channel tubehead. I will never forget how easy it was to find new sounds.

Hi tech.... with midicontroll and more goodies.

But...... back to your own head. Aren't the tubes worn out, maybe the bias is off. Maybe a simple mod on your existent head can make you happy? I mean you've got a hightech guitarhead there.....right?

Muziekschuur
Old 2nd February 2007
Here for the gear

Krank Revolution.

Some Randalls also are good too. For legato/doomy and slow stuff, add Boss MetalZone (or similar) in front and get the bad-ass "Soundlight studio" sound.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear
The Mark IV is THE metal amp to have.

Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Engl Savage ES is a bad mofo. From twang to crunch to (way) past Rectified.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Mesa, Deizel and the Peavey's are all you really need. If you can't get the right tone with one of those, get a new guitar player...

I've had much success with the Peavey's in the studio, both the 5150 and XXL.

I also tracked some Soldano's. Not bad, but I wouldn't grab one as a "go to" metal amp. Dammit I hate that phrase "go to".
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

If you have the Mark IV and it's just not cutting it, I think the ONLY place to go from there is ENGL. They still have the fast, percussive nature of the Mark series, but are voiced so much meaner. Plus, they have insane gain. I have never heard of someone boosting an ENGL.

The meanest ENGL is the ENGL SE. Personally, I have the more mid-centric Savage which lives up to its name without doubt. In some repects I would almost say the Savage is like a Mark series feel with the voicing of a 5150. Very Crunchy mids, but totally fast. ENGL's just don't do sludge, even dimed with insanely hot tubes. And depth punch... now that's some bass!

I should add that I have the Mark III, MarkIV, Recto, 5150, XXX, and Savage all in the same room. I know the relative differences like the palm of my hand which is why it sounds to me like you'll only be happy with ENGL.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

By the way, does anyone know what was used in Mega´s Countdown To Extinction album? (Amp/power/preamp, cabinet, mike...)

Gotta love that sound.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS View Post
By the way, does anyone know what was used in Mega´s Countdown To Extinction album? (Amp/power/preamp, cabinet, mike...)

Gotta love that sound.
Something Marshall?
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I would like the the best metal amp instead of its mother...it mother is a Plexi on 10 by the way
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Something Marshall?
Hmm, it maybe is then a modded Marshall? Same thing with Exodus - Tempo of the Damned album, they used JCM800, but doesn´t really sound like it

I heard also something that they were using VHT...
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

+ 1 on the follwing:

Bogner Uberschall
Deizel Herbert
Soldano SLO 100
Fuchs Frost 100

I have owned a Mark IV since '92 and the amps above do a better job IMO.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

These posts are useless
The best metal amp is the one that gets the best sound for your unique style of riffs.

Look at it this way. What would Slayer sound like using Diamond Darrels amps?
What would Diamond Darrels sound have been like using Tony Iommi's amps?
Or what would the metal scene be like if James Hetfield had used Richie Blackmoore's amps on kill em' all and not the modded jcm800????

In other words all these guys are all metal players and they all have different sounds which compliment their unique styles. So to say what is the best amp is like saying what woman is the best lay. It's fukin stupid to even say one amp is the best.

It is ridiculous actually
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Addict

^^^^ What are you trying to say? That we're not supposed to make suggestions? Listen, with a bunch of people in a room you'll always have a couple that agree and disagree on some parts.

Theres no mother of all metal amps...
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
These posts are useless
The best metal amp is the one that gets the best sound for your unique style of riffs.

Look at it this way. What would Slayer sound like using Diamond Darrels amps?
What would Diamond Darrels sound have been like using Tony Iommi's amps?
Or what would the metal scene be like if James Hetfield had used Richie Blackmoore's amps on kill em' all and not the modded jcm800????

In other words all these guys are all metal players and they all have different sounds which compliment their unique styles. So to say what is the best amp is like saying what woman is the best lay. It's fukin stupid to even say one amp is the best.

It is ridiculous actually
You know, I don't think I've seen very many posts by you when you aren't being very rude. Get a grip dude, you obviously don't respect anyone's opinion and I'm fairly certain almost everybody on this board doesn't give a rat's a$$ about yours. Worthless.
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
You know, I don't think I've seen very many posts by you when you aren't being very rude. Get a grip dude, you obviously don't respect anyone's opinion and I'm fairly certain almost everybody on this board doesn't give a rat's a$$ about yours. Worthless.
In what way was I rude? My apologies if you misread my post
"I'm fairly certain almost everybody on this board doesn't give a rat's a$$ about yours" Thanks for pointing that out

Seriously how can one suggest the mother of all amps when you have no idea how this guy plays or what style of metal he plays???? Think about it.

I guess I will try to be a little more precise since you must have not even really READ my post..............

It's a good thing they didn't have message boards in 1975
what if a impressionable 16 year old eddie Van Halen was reading it and someone told him to play through a fender or a Vox?? And he was dumb enough to fall for it. We all would have lost something. The mighty 'Brown sound' may not have been.

or What if in 1968 someone told Tony Iommi that the mother of all metal
amps was Roland Jazz Chorus and he was naive enough to listen to such poor advice?????

Or what if in 1982 someone on a message board told James Hetfield to use a hiwatt and turn up the mids??

THINK ABOUT IT??

I'm not saying anyone's opinion are not worthy I'm simply saying in order to make
a professional assessment you would need to have more info. like what type of sound he's looking for.

What type of metal does he play? Death, speed, Hair, nu, rap, thrash, power, prog metal??? there are 100's styles of metal

Asking what the mother of all metal amps is too broad a subject to just throw out a couple brand names like what is being done.

So lets start over......

PT_geek what type of metal do you play??
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search