The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for mother of all metal amp
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

For me Rectifier had it's own place until Herbert came into play.

Big thumbs up for VHT Ultralead & Deliverance

And of course nothing can sound as monster as Uberschall, my favorite metal amp.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
The Uber is amazing..no doubt.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I know a lot of people are raving about the Bogner Uber, but I just don't get it. I have had one in the studio for about 8 months now and have tried it on 3 different metal records. I could never get anything worth a damn out of it. I have a friend that does some good sized metal bands and he swears by it, but so far it's been a waste of time. Same thing with the Triple Rectifiers everyone was drooling over a few years ago. All I heard was a bunch of fizz and rumble.
Although, right now, there is an "old" Dual Rectifier in here and I actually like it. The guy says you have to get the dual before 1998. Anyone else know anything about that?
Believe it or not, I have great luck with hard rock to heavy metal with an old 65 Twin cranked up with a Fulltone overdrive in front of it combined with a Top Hat Emplexador cranked through some Greenbacks. I've tried quite a few combinations and I honestly think it ripps a new one. Call me "oldschool", but I bet some of you "new schoolers" would love it too.
You've got to keep in mind the range a guitar is in. Even though it may be death by metal, just because it has a ton of low end doesn't mean anything to me. Real balls in gtr are the mids and just below. Save the bass for, well, the bass.
Druhms
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
The mids is exactly why a lot of us like the 5150, the Uber, pretty much every amp. The mids is also why many of us like to put a TS9 or 808 in front of a mesa and crank the tone knob. I think everyone wants to focus on mids with a guitar. Just because you crank the lows on an amp does not mean that the tone wil be muddy or taking up the bass guitar's space. It's all about the chain before and after the amp's pre.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

When I was referring to the low end, I was merely commenting on the couple of other posts regarding the huge low end of certain amps. Also, many of the bands that come through here are less experienced than others and instantly jump to the preverbial scooped guitar sound with sloppy low end and no balls. So, don't take my previous post as an attack on yours, or anyone elses. I was just adding my 2 cents regarding my experience and tastes.
Druhms
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
I know a lot of people are raving about the Bogner Uber, but I just don't get it. I have had one in the studio for about 8 months now and have tried it on 3 different metal records. I could never get anything worth a damn out of it. I have a friend that does some good sized metal bands and he swears by it, but so far it's been a waste of time. Same thing with the Triple Rectifiers everyone was drooling over a few years ago. All I heard was a bunch of fizz and rumble.
Although, right now, there is an "old" Dual Rectifier in here and I actually like it. The guy says you have to get the dual before 1998. Anyone else know anything about that?
Believe it or not, I have great luck with hard rock to heavy metal with an old 65 Twin cranked up with a Fulltone overdrive in front of it combined with a Top Hat Emplexador cranked through some Greenbacks. I've tried quite a few combinations and I honestly think it ripps a new one. Call me "oldschool", but I bet some of you "new schoolers" would love it too.
You've got to keep in mind the range a guitar is in. Even though it may be death by metal, just because it has a ton of low end doesn't mean anything to me. Real balls in gtr are the mids and just below. Save the bass for, well, the bass.
Druhms
How are you dialing your Uber settings? Cab choice is very important here too.

And BTW I'm one of those who likes scooped mids, no wonder I like Diezels with midcut Let's not forget that lows/mids/highs on guitar & on bass are different, when I dial SVT Classic I cut the mids out of it too with ultra low/high on & these cut mids help a lot to let vocals come through, besides that's the sound I'm after.

Everybody has own taste & way of doing things, just because one of us doesn't like the way the other does things doesn't mean it sounds like crap.

I think we need to specify some terms like which frequencies are those lows, low mids, mids, high mids & highs for guitars that we are having discussion about.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you are going for a Rectifier you MUST use a tubescreamer..or even better, get a TC Electronic Integrated Preamplifier of Ebay, cut bass and treble, boost volume...makes the Recto tightest amp in the world.....Meshuggah boys used this before the POD.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Soldano

i'm a diehard soldano fan. i have my hot rod 50 on a marshall 4X12 with 2 greenbacks and 2 G12H's. sounds pretty unique with that setup. and sometimes, when i want that extra "push," i turn it up to 11
also ts808 for a volume boost or more dirt
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastyn8 View Post
5150 seems to be one of the most used metal amps in the studio today.

I personally think that recto's are WAYYY overrated. I have gotten them to sound good, but you HAVE to boost them or they are flabby/looose (works great for rock/blues but sounds terrible for metal). Without a boost I can't see myself playing through one. Although, I boost pretty much everything i play through

I'm surprised at the lack of mention of framus stuff too. Cobra's are supposed to be like what a rectifier is trying to be, and dragons have the hotrodded marshall vibe according to people who have played them.

you should listen to clips on rocksolidamps.com He's got tons of bontique level metal amps and clips of most of them on his site.

btw you should check out the absence's myspace. Those guys have some of the most brutal yet clear thrash tones I've ever heard on their new album. I asked their guitarist on harmony central what they used amp wise for the record and he said it was framus cobra mixed with marshall tsl. Also check out killswitch engage guitar tones on The End of Heartache and their new one As Daylight Dies. Both of those albums have some incredible metal guitar tone. TEOH was done with a framus dragon and a 5150. (Rose of sharyn was all cobra). As Daylight Dies was Soldano SLO and 5150 with Cobra overdubs.

oh and you can check out some clips from killswitch's live dvd on youtube. The tone you hear is soldano SLO (that dvd has one of the best metal tones i've ever heard also).

Hope this helps
What?? Source?
I think it is only the Cobra on "As Daylight Dies".
It really sounds like the Cobra, not 5150 at all. Maybe they have used a little bit with Soldano but not much.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've "heard' the 5150 makes a great live amp but for recording purposes it might be better to pick something else up instead.
bull****. complete and utter bull****.

you might not want to use the peavey cab with its sheffield speakers, but 5150's have delivered absolute crushing tone on 1000's of metal albums...and you can get damn near 3 of them for the price of one mesa
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm surprised at the lack of mention of framus stuff too. Cobra's are supposed to be like what a rectifier is trying to be, and dragons have the hotrodded marshall vibe according to people who have played them.
FWIW, i know that mark morton(lamb of god) bought a framus cobra to add to his rig along with his mesa mark IV...not sure whether it was for live or in the studio...but either way, they're heading into the studio soon, he's trying to sell his framus, and he still takes 4 mark IV's on the road with him
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Also check out the Elmwood amps... they are making a lot of noise. the something '90' I think is the one.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille View Post
What?? Source?
I think it is only the Cobra on "As Daylight Dies".
It really sounds like the Cobra, not 5150 at all. Maybe they have used a little bit with Soldano but not much.
Sorry, both you and me is wrong.

The truth about the guitar sound of As Daylight Dies:
Adam Dutkiewicz: "We used those on the record. For amplifiers we used some Mesa/Boogie Triple [Rectifiers] and the Soldano SLO head. For cabinets we always used Mesa/Boogie straights with Vintage 30’s in them. And for guitar tone, you can’t go wrong with the idiot setup – the [Shure SM] 57 through a decent mic-preamp."
-= Guitar Messenger =- | Adam D (Killswitch Engage) Interview
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Head

+3 on the Elmwood Modena line.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search