The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar multifx or something else..
Old 22nd January 2007
Guitar multifx or something else..

I am hunting a good multifx-device or stompboxes for a CURE/depechemode clean sound. you know those reverb/chorus/delay stuff.. no distortion, not aggressive, just a cool "not cheap sounding"-FX.

is there a device to check out? or multiple stompboxes...

cheers George
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I am hunting a good multifx-device or stompboxes for a CURE/depechemode clean sound. you know those reverb/chorus/delay stuff.. no distortion, not aggressive, just a cool "not cheap sounding"-FX.

is there a device to check out? or multiple stompboxes...

cheers George
Try to get a used Ibanez UE405. That's a full analog multi from the 80th. Basically it is just contains racked stompboxes from the Ibanez 9th area, but they run with +/- 15 volts. This improves headroom and signal to noise ratio quite a bit.

The UE405 does the 80th wave sound very very good (to be honest, not much more than that, but it totally nails the "the cure" sound).

They go cheap on ebay. Make sure you'll get one with a foot controller. The unit does not work without one. If more people would know what stomp box circuits are contained in it the prices would skyrock btw. An analog delay from that area usually goes for more.

Nils
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Roland GP-8
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
Roland GP-8

got there before me.. great units. No reverb, but I'd get an external unit anyway..
These cost peanuts and are basically 8 boss pedals (and analogue except the delay ans chorus I believe)
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Cool --- Didn't know bout the GP8

Just bought a second-hand Boss ME-5, which is programmable, from waaay back in 1988-89:

Great box with Analog compressor >>> analog overdrive/distortion >>> analog EQ >>> analog chorus or flanger >>> Very good noise gate >>> Digital reverb or delay, with a treble roll-off to emulate analog delay >>> master volume.

it has an FX loop too

There is no delay/cut-out between patches.

You can also switch FX on and off individually within patches.

Its very sturdy

You can def get those sounds you describe.

And no wall-wart --- power plug permanently wired in.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, blast from the past. I had an ME-5, got stolen at a gig with Rollins Band around '89 or '90. As a matter of fact, both my guitarist and Chris from Rollins Band were playing through GP-8s at that gig as well. This was right before everyone decided they had to have a dual rectifier for some reason...
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTorus View Post
Try to get a used Ibanez UE405.
WOW, I had one of these when i was a kid! man what a fun box, the delay's were cool . . . of course I was a kid and probably would have known good sound if it smacked me in the face, but it sure was fun!
Old 23rd January 2007
haha..

I owned the GP8 for a while, when I was in my nu-metal/korn days... it was definitly not blowing me away for this kind of sound..

hrm.. now I have to buy it back..

damned..

have to check out this UE405 too.

:D

thanx for the answers so far. someone pointed me to the old EH models, and some other old Ibanez stompboxes.

hm, also a good amp like Fender Twin or an old Vox would be cool.

thanx a bunch
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

BTW George... How bout getting hold of an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man? (newer version with 550 ms delay and true bypass). Cool analog pedal with delay>>> modulation (no reverb though).

Sounds very lush
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, open up a GP8 sometime and its basically 8 pedals stuck
in a rack!!!

Its not the be-all end-all, but if you are looking for something in
one contained unit that does a lot of guitar sounds, look no further!!!

Pretty easy to obtain about ANY 80's guitar sound with one.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Cool --- Didn't know bout the GP8

Just bought a second-hand Boss ME-5, which is programmable, from waaay back in 1988-89:

Great box with Analog compressor >>> analog overdrive/distortion >>> analog EQ >>> analog chorus or flanger >>> Very good noise gate >>> Digital reverb or delay, with a treble roll-off to emulate analog delay >>> master volume.

it has an FX loop too

There is no delay/cut-out between patches.

You can also switch FX on and off individually within patches.

Its very sturdy

You can def get those sounds you describe.

And no wall-wart --- power plug permanently wired in.
The ME-5 was analog? I didn't know that. I bought one when they first came out, I thought it had the worst distortion sound ever!!!!!
One of those purchases I regretted for a looooong time. But what did I know, I was like 14...
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... the distortions/ODs suck a bit, but I've dialled in a good lead sound with "distortion 3" which I think is a metal zone, and potentially the suckiest one heh BUT if you tweak the EQ and get rid of that 2K honk, it sings very nicely with a tube amp, very Gary Moore (in a good way).
Old 24th January 2007
Quote:
BTW George... How bout getting hold of an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man? (newer version with 550 ms delay and true bypass). Cool analog pedal with delay>>> modulation (no reverb though).

will check em out..

no, it doesn't have to be a multiFX.. just for handling (gigs and stuff) it's easier.

thanx a bunch guys!!
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Alesis Quadraverb GT

The only problem is, they're noisy. I'm really tempted to modify mine in some way, if there's a way that will clean up the sound.
Old 24th January 2007
ha, I own one:D

I will check it out.. mine is also supernoise.. espacially with the compressor turned on.

cheers
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

is there a price range your trying to stay in?
Old 25th January 2007
depends on what I need to buy..but 1k$ is the maximum budget..

still dividing budget, so I can afford a secondhand twinverb or something like this.

cheers
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

I got my Ibanez UE405 for 163 euro on ebay btw..
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

BTW, here's a link to some nice Deluxe Memoryman clips: Check out Gerry Leonard: perfect example.
Old 25th June 2007
Here for the gear

So how is the GP8 compared to the old GP16?

I'm still suprised the battery in my GP16 hasn't died yet.
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave214 View Post
So how is the GP8 compared to the old GP16?

I'm still suprised the battery in my GP16 hasn't died yet.
The GP8 is analog apart from the delay and chorus I believe. I think the GP16 is mainly digital.
I prefer the sound of the GP8, but would still gladly have a GP16...
Old 25th June 2007
Here for the gear

Some of the factory-loaded patches in the GP16 can be a bit on the digital side, but I rarely use more than about 8 different patches for most of everything that I play unless I'm just experimenting.

Eventually I'll get something a bit more modern, like a GT Pro or GT8, Line 6 Pod XT or something comparable. I'd never considered any of the Digitech GNX units until I heard a couple of guys in a tribute band the other night using them, and they sounded pretty decent.
Old 25th June 2007
Lives for gear

Personally, I've always hated the sound of any multi-fx box. I don't know why, but they don't seem to have the mojo of stomp boxes. Maybe it's the way the gain staging happens between effects, or the A/D/A conversion.

Also, the Roland JC120 amp was a big part of the 'new wave' 80's sound. It's got a nice reverb, and the chorus is pretty much that 80's sound. I had one taht I never used for reverb or chorus, I got it because it was the only amp I found that could do that percussive thing, sort of u2-like. Mute the strings with your left hand and strum hard, and it hits you right in the chest.
Old 25th June 2007
thank a bunch guys.
Old 25th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave214 View Post
Eventually I'll get something a bit more modern, like a GT Pro or GT8, Line 6 Pod XT or something comparable.
The GT-8 is great for FX! The modeller-section is not the best in the world, but if you only use it for FX it's great. I use it in my mini live rig

/megl
Old 25th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The GP8 is analog apart from the delay and chorus I believe. I think the GP16 is mainly digital.
I prefer the sound of the GP8, but would still gladly have a GP16...
I have the GP8 and had the GP16, and I agree that GP8 is better

For FX I would still get the GT-8 over the GP8 though

/megl
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search