The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Tremolo Pedal
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best Tremolo Pedal

Looking for a few options here, Analog. I've heard of Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper. Tempo options besides Tap if possible....Any other options out there?

Thanks heaps!!
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not pure analog, but Strymon Flint is very nice sounding, and very tweakable. Also has a very nice reverb on it. With expression pedal you can control the speed.
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really dig my Empress Tremolo2. Does tap tempo or you can program 8 preset tempos. It also has 8 programmed rhythms and can sync to MIDI with their optional MIDIbox. Waveform options are square, triangle and "tube".
Old 28th November 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
+ 1 for Strymon Flint. They make good stuff.
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Empress is one of the nicer sounding tremolos out there. The tap tempo digital control with analog signal path is nice. The control on this is actually very sophisticated. Does far more than what you set the knobs at its easy enough and powerful enough to do whatever you ask of it.

Dr. Scientist tremoloessence is amazing. Probably the best sounding tremolo out there (IMO). It has a lighted rate knob that pulses with the rate of the tremolo. It does have a jack for external control of the rate by expression pedal. I used a 10 turn pot to fine control the rate.

The Gravitas is also a nice trem pedal. Great sound, great control and lots of control options the others don't have. Also tap tempo control-able in a standard small pedal footprint. Lots of external control options.

I actually own all of these. The Empress is on my pedalboard because I need the tap tempo control. If the Dr. Scientist had tap tempo, I would probably be using that as I think it sounds better.
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wampler Latitude is also nice.... tap tempo with subdivisions. It has an "space" control for shortening space between the waveform for a really short staccato effect, and also has an "attack" control to alter the rise of the waveform....so you can get some really interesting, non-traditional tremolo sounds.
Old 28th November 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Not sure which is best. The Cusack Tap-A-Whirl V3 will do everything you asked for and much more.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

I like my little guyatone VT-2, when I don't have tube bias trem available on my amp at the gig. I still prefer tube bias trem. So, my actual answer is "the foot switch to my Vibrolux. That's my favorite trem pedal."

The only complaint I have about my VT-2 is that there's a little volume boost when you engage it. It was actually my first pedal ever. Two knobs and a switch. I still am glad I got it, even though I was a little disappointed in tremolo as an effect until later.

I've used the pigtronix echolution. That's got a ton of great tremolo settings. I like the interface better than the strymon screen.
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
T-Rex Tremster
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The best one for me is the VFE Old School. There are a lot of other tremolos with more features, but this one simply sounds best to my ear, and works best in real working settings.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Demeter Tremulator is very nice, designed for Ry Cooder.

MC
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago. the "dyna comp" or "phase 90" or "big muff" of tremolo?
Old 29th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago. the "dyna comp" or "phase 90" or "big muff" of tremolo?
I would say bias-modulated tube tremolo such as that found in the Fender Tweed Tremolux.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I should've indicated pedal or non amp form. Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I would say bias-modulated tube tremolo such as that found in the Fender Tweed Tremolux.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
For me it would be the Strymon Flint because you get a variety of tremolo types in one pedal - and reverb.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Shapeshifter Tremolo isn't analog, but it has tap tempo, ratio (for different tap options) and is stereo, so those trems can pan back and forth. You also get choices of the shape of the trem, too.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's another vote for the Strymon Flint. Fantastic tremolos, and the other side of the pedal, the one with the reverbs, fantastic, too! Well, except for the '60s spring reverb, which doesn't sound all that great, to me, but the '70s and '80s reverbs are the bomb!
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This Joyo Tremolo pedal is excellent and it's currently only $35.99 USD. Joyo Tremolo JF-09 Pedal | CheaperPedals.com I love mine, it's a workhorse and sounds fantastic.
Old 30th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago.
It's called a Leslie rotating speaker and they still make them, not sure why more guitarists don't use them, they spank the pedals like an evil merchant. The holy grail pedal is the '60s Shin-ei Uni-Vibe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
It's called a Leslie rotating speaker and they still make them, not sure why more guitarists don't use them, they spank the pedals like an evil merchant. The holy grail pedal is the '60s Shin-ei Uni-Vibe.

Neither of which are tremolo FX. The Leslie does modulate volume somewhat, but mainly modulates pitch due to the Doppler effect. The Univibe modulates pitch as well (and mixes it with the dry signal to create it's signature sound). Both these FX are for the most part vibrato FX, not tremolo FX.
Old 30th November 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've tried Fulltone Supatrem, Toneczar Powerglide, Strymon Flint and Suhr Jackrabbit. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. The Fulltone and Toneczar seemed to have that extra "something" when they are on (like an extension of the amp if that makes sense). The Suhr felt the most functional to me and has more goodies in it (and sounds great too). The Strymon has a great rep, but you wanted analog. If I could only pick one, it'd be the Suhr based on how much I use trem and the features. But I don't have to pick only one, so I get to keep the power glide too.
Old 30th November 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just use a Zoom MS-50G. It does a really good trem plus a whole lot of other FXs if you need them. A toolkit stomp if there was ever one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Neither of which are tremolo FX. The Leslie does modulate volume somewhat, but mainly modulates pitch due to the Doppler effect. The Univibe modulates pitch as well (and mixes it with the dry signal to create it's signature sound). Both these FX are for the most part vibrato FX, not tremolo FX.
That's right chief, Leslie does both, she'll do anyone. Nobody with any talent uses FX pedals anyway.
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Nobody with any talent uses FX pedals anyway.
riiiight.
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't limit myself to "analog only" anything. And, really, I don't worry too much over trems. I have a ZVex Sonar that I love because it does wonderful, weird things. If I had to choose another it would probably be a Dr. Scientist Tremolessence or Tidal Waveforms Tremulust.
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nobody with any talent uses FX pedals anyway.
Here's one you might find helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Tremolo Pedal-talent-simulator.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobiedood View Post
The Shapeshifter Tremolo isn't analog, but it has tap tempo, ratio (for different tap options) and is stereo, so those trems can pan back and forth. You also get choices of the shape of the trem, too.
I use the older green mono Shapeshifter. It's a really nice pedal.
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I forgot about the analog preference (although I still think you should check out the Flint ). I was going to buy this pedal until I learned about how great the Flint is.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
riiiight.
Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, SRV, EVH, Vai, Gilmour, Satriani never used tremelo pedal they just hit the volume pedal really fast. Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, SRV, EVH, Vai, Gilmour, Satriani never used tremelo pedal they just hit the volume pedal really fast. Cocaine is a helluva drug.
It's amphetamines that make your limbs shake like that, not cocaine.
πŸ“ Reply