The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Tremolo Pedal
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks folks! This was mentioned before by someone, but in your opinion, is there a Holy Grail for Tremolo? Also, how about amps that have built in tremolo them? Same circuitry?
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Thanks folks! This was mentioned before by someone, but in your opinion, is there a Holy Grail for Tremolo? Also, how about amps that have built in tremolo them? Same circuitry?
No, not really. It's kind of a cornball effect. Really dated sounding. Most people will never turn it on.
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Only one I use is the Fuchs. It's the old brown style tremolo.

I had a Supa Trem and it was cool if you're into a more traditional BF sound.
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

EHX Super Pulsar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
No, not really. It's kind of a cornball effect. Really dated sounding. Most people will never turn it on.
I agree as far as the typical hard tremolo sound, which just about any pedal can do, but with an amp that uses bias modulated tremolo (and to a lesser degree, opto), where the tremolo fx is integrated within the amp's gain structure, you can use slight tremolo to give almost a chorus type of effect to your sound without it actually sounding like a tremolo. I have yet to find a pedal that can match the subtleties of a good tube based amp tremolo.

Depending where you put the fx in your chain is another factor. If you put it after distortion, you get a hard tremolo, but putting into an overdrive pedal or overdriven amp gives a less pronounced sound due to the compression of the later gain stages, and also has a more characteristic tone, as the overdrive level and harmonics of the amp or dirt pedals are modulated, not the static overdrive sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Certainly a valid comment but hey, our band resembles that remark! We do two songs in which I use Tremolo - an old Yardbirds song "Heart Full Of Soul" and I use a bit on "Wicked Game."
Old 2nd December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
...you can use slight tremolo to give almost a chorus type of effect to your sound without it actually sounding like a tremolo.
I do that with my Flint (the girls really get into that!).

Slowest speed and just barely perceptible intensity; I use this setting for bass a lot.
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another cool way to use a tremolo pedal is in front of an envelope filter, with just enough tremolo intensity to modulate the envelope filter.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Another cool way to use a tremolo pedal is in front of an envelope filter, with just enough tremolo intensity to modulate the envelope filter.
Never thought of that. Great tip, thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
what's the "holy grail" tremolo? in other words even stuff from 30 years ago. the "dyna comp" or "phase 90" or "big muff" of tremolo?
.... well - the dynacomp or phase 90 were not the holy grail in terms of quality or flexibility (these would have been the mutron bi-phase and the LA2a compressor ala Lowell George), they were affordable, readily available and did the job ... this would be the Demeter tremulator when it comes to stompbox tremolos ....
the holy grail in terms of classic sound and flexibility of standalone, non-amp tremolos are the Matchless TV1, and the Lovetone Wobulator .... both do vibrato as well ... but no tap tempo / pattern / midi sync stuff etc, though the Wobulator can be synced via gate/cv

here's a very good review/description of the TV-1:
http://www.harmonycentral.com/review...vibrato/397445

Last edited by motone; 2nd December 2015 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: forgot link
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That sounds weird. I'm going to have to try it.
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
It's called a Leslie rotating speaker and they still make them, not sure why more guitarists don't use them, they spank the pedals like an evil merchant. The holy grail pedal is the '60s Shin-ei Uni-Vibe.
That is so NOT tremolo. Leslie speakers emulate/mimic the Doppler effect thru the use of a rotating speaker.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My Goodsell Model 1958 combo amp has one of the best trems EVER. This cornball will be using it on our next tune, hope to get it recorded fairly soon.
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm a big fan of the JHS Honeycomb. Analog with two different speed settings that you can set up. That way you can have Bang Bang and Rumble in the same set without having to reach down and turn the knob.

For amp based, the one I like the most is the one in the Princeton Reverb.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
My Goodsell Model 1958 combo amp has one of the best trems EVER. This cornball will be using it on our next tune, hope to get it recorded fairly soon.
Ahhh, but would you say that you're more cornball, or more dated? Because some people are both. It's kind of a spectrum disorder.
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I could mention the tremolo on Radiohead "Bones" or The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" but would that be modern or dated?
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Using vintagey cornball effect in very modern uncorny style music works well.

And ok Leslie is not tremolo, go ahead and crucify me for even mentioning it.
Old 4th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
I could mention the tremolo on Radiohead "Bones" or The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" but would that be modern or dated?
Bones - modern, because the envelope changes the rate of the tremolo, but cornball, because it's just sort of a gimmick
Gimme Shelter - dated, because that song is older than me, and I'm dated, but not cornball, because it doesn't exactly sound like a tremolo

And I'll see your Bones and Gimme Shelter, and raise you by the greatest tremolo song ever, How Soon is Now, which is still modern 30 years later, and not cornball.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Wicked.
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If Tremolo effect was worth a "holy grail" pedal, maybe it would be this:

Super Seek Trem β€” ZVEX Effects

Basically, a 16 step tremolo sequencer, where you can set the level of each step for various rhythmic FX.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If Tremolo effect was worth a "holy grail" pedal, maybe it would be this:

Super Seek Trem β€” ZVEX Effects

Basically, a 16 step tremolo sequencer, where you can set the level of each step for various rhythmic FX.
I forgot about that pedal. Yes, that's a cool one. I'd be more interested, but I think I'd have a hard time getting it to work with a live band. But still, the musical applications are pretty obvious.

I'd like one with assignable multi outs for each step. I could be the Aphex Twin of guitar players.
Old 5th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ahhh, but would you say that you're more cornball, or more dated? Because some people are both. It's kind of a spectrum disorder.
I'd say that I'm a dated cornball. Not too pitted tho. No raisins either.
Old 5th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I quite like the Prescription Electronics Throb, with its ability to switch between two different tremolo speeds. The square wave chop is wicked. I like to use it in conjunction with really pitchy phasers like the Boss for some really cool up-down effects...or with an eBow for liquidy weirdness.
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guyatone VT-X Vintage Tremolo
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the Goatkeeper is at the top of the pile on the high end of things. Pigtronix also makes a huge & versatile Tremvelope.
I have a Gig-FX Chopper then makes a nice Trem sound with some cool frills for about half the price. They also make a Pro-Chop w/ Midi Sync that's priced closer to the Pigtron & Goat.

On the other hand there are some great sounding tremolo's for significantly less. I've had Dunlop TS-1 & Voodoo Labs 2 Knob Trem which both sound great but lack the frills of their exponentially more expensive brethren.

It's all about what's important to you & the sound you're trying to make. If you just want a great sounding no frills Trem there are some great options under $100. if things like MIDI sync, tap tempo, variable patterns, ect, are important to you there are more expensive pedals out there.
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My vote is the Shape Shifter Tremolo, since it does stereo, tap tempo, and you can change the waveform for the 'shape' of the trem.
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
EQD hummingbird for me. Goes from soft to super hard chop but it's the level control that does it for me. I do a few country style trem leads so the volume boost is perfect to poke it's head out.
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I never liked any tremolos incorporated into amplifiers. I did need one for a song, though, and I got an EA Tremolo

EA Tremolo | General Guitar Gadgets

and it was perfectly fine. Very nice, in fact. Admirable, in fact. Sorry it only cost $60.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Looking for a few options here, Analog. I've heard of Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper. Tempo options besides Tap if possible....Any other options out there?

Thanks heaps!!
this one:

Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
mad professor fx mellow yellow tremolo is my personal favourite.

Mad Professor Amplification LTD | Mellow Yellow Tremolo
πŸ“ Reply