The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Easy one about wiring a speaker in a homemade cab.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Easy one about wiring a speaker in a homemade cab.

I just finished building 2, 1x12, open backed guitar cabs. They turnrd out really nice. They look like 2 vintage extension cabs for the Epi Jr head. I've got Jensen c12r, 25 watt speakers in them. They sound great(I had them temporarily in a friends 2x12 cab).

Here's the question:

How do I wire these mofos? I have dual jack plates installed, just not wired. The speakers are 8 ohms. Is there a way to screw it up and blow up a speaker or 2. I am looking forward to getting this process over and I'd love to avoid a mishap. If you could speak in terms that a 3rd grader would understand, that would be good.

Thanks for any help.
Old 18th January 2007
Here for the gear

one with parallel option, and another with series option(need to use 6-kontact TRS socket)

what amp are you use?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using one of those little 5 watt Epiphone heads. They have 16, 8 and 4 ohms outs. The speakers are 8 ohms but if I'm not sure how running another cab in series will affect the load. I have no clue what you mean when you say "6 contact socket" and even less of an idea on how to begin wiring one. If you could briefly touch on how to wire in parallel and in series, I would greatly appreciate it. Also should the second cab be wired in parallel?

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2007
Here for the gear

U have 2 1x12 cabs, yes?

and г can switch amp impedance..

So, best way to you is just one socket in first cab and two parallel sockets in another. connecting them all together with Epi head ahd switching amp to 4 ohms would be Ok.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

that's good. would you mind bringing it down to "solder this wire here and then this wire here on the first cab. Then on the second 1x12...."

I currently have a dual 1/4" jack plate installed on each cab.

I appologize for my level of knowledge, I've never done this and I'm really green. Not to mention, I'd love to avoid blowing a speaker. If you know of a resource online that lays it out for a mentally challenged child, I'd welcome that to avoid further embarassment to me and bother to you.

Thanks yet again for your help and patience
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

"+" from speaker to tip contact of both jacks on plate
"-" from speaker to ring contact of both jacks on plate
the same for other cab

Connecting: speaker cable from amp(4Ohm) to first cab
and another one from cab to cab.

that would be parallel wiring 8+8Ohm
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

does it matter that the jack plate is metal?
Old 21st January 2007
Here for the gear

No, that's ok for parallel wiring
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

last question, I promise..

just to recap, wire both jacks the same way and plug either jack into either jack on the 2nd cab. Could it be that easy?

So if both speakers are 8 ohms and I have a 4,8, and 16 output jack options, which one should I use when both cabs are plugged in?

Thanks so much for your help, man.
Old 22nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
last question, I promise..

So if both speakers are 8 ohms and I have a 4,8, and 16 output jack options, which one should I use when both cabs are plugged in?
4 ohm output
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search