The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what's a good guitar for "Nashville" tuning
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Well the graph may show it being off but most ears won't be bothered by that so I am not sure what the concern is.
my ears are bothered. that's the concern. i can hear it go out of tune.

....and if the mentality is "most ears won't be bothered", why use autotune, good converters, etc? most ears prefer iPods.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Danny, what is ACSTC?

Personally, I'd be lost without the technique of moving capos around the nect to play complimentary parts in differing native "keys". I find it the quickest means of creating beautiful chorus effects between acoustics. I do use the Kyser, and I retune after the capo is applied. Also, when applying the capo I place the capo ON the fret rather than between frets. This permits minimum string displacement once the capo is applied, and strings don't go as sharp as the between-the-fret method.

John-
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Nashville tuning or"high strung guitars"

Capos; I use Elliott capos. US 3 Stainless steel and a build quality off the chart. The main trade off is they are a bit heavier than popular alu. models but very easy to form fit to the roll of the neck. This is critical for good intonation and he will need to know the precise width of the finger board, these are all custom builds. Hand made Wayne C. Henderson guitars with John Arnold set ups is what we use here in Boone NC. I have a 1 and3/4 inch fb at the nut and had the capo customed to fit up to the 5th fret.
(Elliott Capos, 1601 E.Tom Green, Brenham, Texas) The last ones I bought were 4 years ago and they were in the $100. neighborhood. (well worth it)

1976 Ricky Skaggs was recording a project with his band "Boone Creek". My cousin Cecil Jones was hosting the party at his studio there in Lex. KY and Skaggs was doing all the fader pushing. (Some things never change much) Ricky was recording an old gospel BG cut of "Driftin to Far From the Shore" I had a 1969 or 70 Martin D35 that was a plosive gourd. The only way I could Get it leveled out was to use a 14 guage on both E strings and typical 1 octive for everything else. The guitar sounded great tuned in this fasion. Skaggs called me about 11:30 PM and asked me to bring the 35 over to Cecils because no one in the band had spent much time on this type of essoteric foolin around. Skaggs was not happy with standard guitar " the track aint makin it. 30 min. later ricky had finished the over dub and mix and it was considered by most the best cut on the project.
I raise this history for a reason. If a plain Ringaling high end for C&W is called for a cheap box will work, but if you are pursuing an acoustic project that needs the High Strung to sit well in the mix these are very poor choices. I currently use a Henderson
00 made of ebony and my favorite is the Henderson OM. Killer Box, he made one for Eric Clapton.
Hugh Sturgill
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

On the subject of capos

A cool partial capo is fun to play with, Harvey Reid invented this one:

http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

i've had a squier strat (korean made, late 80's) strung nashville ever since i got my second guitar one acoustic, one electric.
i've found the nashville tuned guitar to be fun for arpeggiated parts...it kinda breaks it up a little bit. so i'll use that one side, and a standard-tuned on the other.

kell
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

A Big Baby Taylor sounds great with this tuning - and wouldn't break the bank.
Old 1st February 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

Didn't read the whole thread, buuuut: I've found the Taylor baby to be an excellent Nashville guitar. It just works for some reason...

G7 is a great capo...

Mike
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I use a beat up old Vega archtop from the 20's. Sounds great.
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblind View Post
I never realized Solar Sister was played with a capo. One of the best rock songs of the last 20 years.

C
Indeed, and I've been lucky enough to have that one dedicated to myself and the Missus at a Posies gig!
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Maniac

These are great for a dedicated, nashville tuned house instrument ...
Canadian made, less than $250- (US- northeast) , "parlor" style, <br>and I believe the cherry version has a solid top.

A&L Ami Guitars

... also, love the mahogany baby taylor
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Nut

I bought a Wechter Nashville guitar for just this purpose, and I'm really happy with it.

Demo:
In the Studio with Johnny Hiland - Sweetwater Productions - YouTube

- J.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

The first and last time I used Nashville tuning was a good 15 years ago when the producer was a guy that played drums for Glenn Fry. He told me that The Eagles used nv tuning when they recorded Hotel California. I had one acoustic guitar then so never bothered to do it again. But, I just sold my 12 string that wasn't getting any use and bought some Nashville gauged strings for my old Taylor just to have one ready to go. But, I'm so used to doing the capo thing I think that even with the Nashville tuning I'll still probably use a capo. And, I might prefer the normal guitar capoed anyway.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Guru

I went to to the pawn shop and found the brightest cheap acoustic they had. $70 and a set of strings later I had a Nashville tuned guitar.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

I use a Seventies Gibson Mk35 for Nashville tuning. It has a nice, mellow sound and good intonation and blends well with other instruments in a mix.

Peet
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

interesting information here. I never even knew there was such a thing as "nashville tuning"
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Addict

the Tacoma Papoose is a wonderful guitar for all Nashville Tuning tasks (and others) ... not sure if it's still being made ...
Old 1st October 2013
Here for the gear

Would it make sense to use a twelve string guitar and take off the fat strings so that you don't lose the intonation/different bridge necessary for this change in string size? If anyone has done this please let me know. Thanks!
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

I 2nd the Wechter Nashville with the Plex set-up. Sweet. Not too much $.
Old 1st October 2013
I read about Nashville tuning a while back and decided to use the cheapest of my 3 acoustics for it full time:

Tanglewood - TW1000 CE

I think it sounds amazing and actually play it more than my Taylor and Martin now! It has given my songwriting a new style and it sounds just as good by itself or with another guitar. It also sounds really cool double tracking stuff IMO. It usually gets played alongside the Taylor or Martin and the combinations sound great.

I definitely wouldn't want to have to chop and change strings all the time. It stays in tune pretty well but there is always a bit of tweaking required when shifting from 6th fret down to 1st for example. Hardly surprising and not really an issue. Once its tuned up it pretty much stays that way.
Old 1st October 2013
Can somebody tell us novices: what exactly is Nashville tuning and how do you
accomplish it (step by step)?
Old 1st October 2013
Here are a couple of links that should explain things better than I would:

Exploring Nashville Tuning

How Nashville High-Stringing Works
Old 9th July 2014
Here for the gear

Nashville versus High Strung. And capos

I often see the terms Nashville tuning and High Strung tuning referencing the same tuning, for example the dedicated D'Addario EJ38H set of strings is actually called High Strung Nashville .010-.027. Shame on D'Addario! Nashville and High Strung are two slightly different stringing/tunings. Nashville tuning raises the EADG strings an octave, and the BE are standard. So basically you can use the full, lighter half of a twelve string set of strings to achieve Nashville. High Strung on the other hand raises only the EAD strings an octave, and the GBE are standard. You can still use part of a twelve string set of strings to achieve High Strung, you just use the thicker G string instead of the thinner G. From a quote and small discussion with Keith Richards that I've read, the Stones Wild Horses actually uses an acoustic with the High Strung tuning, not Nashville. The recording also features at least one, but probably two 12-string acoustics as well.

Regarding capos, I had been a long time Shubbs and Kyser user, but I recently tried the G7 Performance 2 capo. It just came out (June 2014) and it's not inexpensive, but it is by far the best capo ever in my opinion. It features a cool clutch mechanism so you just squeeze as hard or as light as you need and it locks in place with that specific pressure. This capo has never once stretched my strings out of tune. Not once. A small release lever simply opens the clutch and releases the capo. And if I squeeze it relatively hard it totally works perfectly on my big Guild 12-string too. Plenty of pressure. The new Performance 2 is lighter than the previous G7 Performance capo. And no, I don't work for G7.
Old 9th July 2014
I use a crappy Carlo Robelli guitar I got for free from Sam Ash, they had a deal where if you spent 200 dollars you got a free guitar. It plays fine and sounds great as a high strung

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search