The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What did people play bass through in the early 60's?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

What did people play bass through in the early 60's?

I can't seem to find any amplifiers. They all turn out guitar amps. Did bass amps even exist back then?

I mean like 1960-1962, I can't find anything used for sale.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear
what year did the Ampeg B-15 come out?

they certainly were almost in EVERY studio in the 60's.

GREAT amps. for ANY bass sound.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Let's see, the '59 Fender Bassman is a legendary amp. By my calculations I think '59 Bassmans would have been available by the early '60s. Yup. Another great amp for anything with 1/4" output.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

a lot of amps that were bass amps when they came out were adopted by guitar players

the bassman being the ultimate example.

you're not going to see an 8x10 cabinet being pushed by 500watts in the early 60's
you weren't expected to play that loud..

guitar players as usual ****ed the whole thing up...too loud those damn youngsters

I'm TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP AROUND HERE!!!grumble grumble..

p.s. look into some gibson amps.
they rule
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

heh LOL!

Dunno bout early 60s... But, was chatting to a bass player friend who is a Hiwatt nut, and he collects tube amps. He has these Simms Watts amps which I've never heard of. They weren't around for long, but John Entwistle used those as well as Hiwatt 100s (guess late sixties though).

How bout the Vox amps McCartney used... The Super beatle and (?) T60? Ac 100?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wait...
The bass player got his own amp???
I thought back then everyone played (and sang) through the same amp!!!

but yeah...
look at pics, its pretty much whatever the BIGGEST amp they could afford, carry, find, borrow. Mostly open back combos though...
On "3" a Fender Bassman can hold up the bottom end of a PBass pretty decently, its not Motorhead, but it does its job and fits well within the context of the period.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

Before that it was the stand up bass and the Doo Wop baritone singer heh
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

earlier than that...

we see the mighty and overlooked Tuba!

Viva Tuba!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
I can't seem to find any amplifiers. They all turn out guitar amps. Did bass amps even exist back then?

I mean like 1960-1962, I can't find anything used for sale.
Ampeg. B15 was pretty much it in the 60s. Before that, they had another model...forget the name....smaller, but single 15".

m
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I almost forgot, but wasn't that famous little Supro amp that Hendrix and Page us originally a bass amp? I forget the model number. Come to think of it, I've been forgetting a lot of details lately that used to just roll off.....I'm getting old me thinks.....

m
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
Ampeg. B15 was pretty much it in the 60s. Before that, they had another model...forget the name....smaller, but single 15".

m
was it the flip top? i hear it was used a lot on the stax/volt sessions... one of my favorite bass tones ever...
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's it. The amplifier section was hinged and was removed and "flipped" when in use. When the gig was over, you simply unhinged the top, flipped it over inside the cab for storage. Cool little set up. They're unreal sounding for just about every musical situation. They absolutely SMOKE with a good player and an old Pbass.

m
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just to be completely nerdy...the guy that invented the fliptop at Ampeg was Jess Oliver. In the mid to late 60s, he left the company and started his own amp line. Not surprising, he called them Oliver amps. Since Ampeg owned the copyright for the fliptop design, he had to change it up a bit to still use his basic ideas. So, he came up with a motorized design where you plugged the amp in the wall and flipped a switch on the back. The amp literally rose out of the cabinet. It had a glass face on the front similar to McIntosh audio gear that looked really cool with the backlights. These are fairly hard to come by, but sound like a B15. I owned one a few years back and actually spoke to Jess on the phone a few times. He's living up in Jersey. Now there's a living legend that should be interviewed in TapeOp or other mag for everything he's done. Not many of those original guys left anymore. There are a few websites and such that have some pics....

later,

m
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

VOX ! Beatles.....
WEM!...Stones
Selmer ....
Dont know any model names but I could post some pics in a cple of days

www.nickoosterhuis.com

"All you can do is ruin things to varying degrees " originally posted by dbbubba
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2 View Post
Viva Tuba!
Viva tuba!
Old 22nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Jaco used a brand called "Acoustic" Check them out.
Old 22nd January 2007
there werent really "bass amps", just "amps". thats why I find it funny when somebody freaks when I run their bass through a guitar amp (which I do all the time)
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

The blackface Fender Showman Amps sound wonderful. They were very popular with bass players back then. I think they came out around '64.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey all,

Just found this forum and it's my first post and I'm already gonna show my age. heh

Several low-end (affordable) bass amps were available if you couldn't afford a Fender Bassman. The "Silvertone" brand (available from Sears & Roebuck) 1- 15" self contained, I believe there was also a head/cabinet model for bass, there were also a couple for guitar. There was also a similar "Airline" brand (from Montgomery Wards) probably made by the same company and re-branded. There were offerings from Gibson and Magnavox and a few imported knockoffs that I can't recall at this time. If you had the skill and the time you could build your own "Heathkit". Mid to late 60s found the Fender Showman and Dual Showman (more power than a Fender Bassman), Ampeg B-15 and Vox amps increase in popularity. As the British Invasion bled over into gear, you started seeing more Marshalls and Hi Watts (for bass and guitar). Then Acoustic "360s", Ampeg VT (100w) and eventually the SVT (300w - early 70s). If I remember more I add to the post.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

What's a good Silvertone Bass amp model? I haven't heard of any.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

soupking,

I can remember some 'stuff' but a model number, I think I might have killed off those particular brain cells. If I recall correctly... it would have been self contained, 1-15" speaker and around 30 watts. I'd be amazed if there were any left in existence. Maybe 'grandma' has one in the attic somewhere.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmmmm........Silvertone.
I played bass through one in the mid 60's...6-10's, solidstate. LOUD!
These days it's an Ampeg BA115HP. DI for recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4689687
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
VOX ! Beatles.....
WEM!...Stones
Selmer ....
Roger Waters used WEMs in the early-ish days.

Sell my soul for a Selmer 2x12. Best amp I ever used.

Don't overlook the seventies marshall Super Bass 100.

It's just a JMP.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Guru

I'm trying to remember what Noel Redding was using when they first toured the US
in '68.
I think he was also using a Marshall stack.

The Stones discovered AMPEG SVT's by necessity when their Hiwatt stacks were delayed in customs. I can't remember which tour though.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Most of the time I've seen Noel pictured with a farkload of SUNN gear.....
Very first tour would have been Marshall though.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
Most of the time I've seen Noel pictured with a farkload of SUNN gear.....
Very first tour would have been Marshall though.
those old sunn amps a killer
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Hmmmmm........Silvertone.
I played bass through one in the mid 60's...6-10's, solidstate. LOUD!
These days it's an Ampeg BA115HP. DI for recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4689687
I had a Silvertone with a 6-10 cab. The and had a white face and could be stored at the bottom of the back of the cab. That thing would get pretty loud. I bet it sounded pretty good but I had such a crap bass back then and I didn't know I was supposed to change strings.heh
I kick myself in the ass for getting rid of that amp but at the time I thought I wanted something more up to date on stage because that old dog didn't look cool. I also had a small Silvertone tube amp with a single 12. I can't remember what happened to that one.
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Bass amps of the 60's

Ya might wanta look up Traynor amps I belive the had a few bass amps out in the 60's and one of the few would did at this time period as well
James.ca
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

There's an Oliver amp for sale on Craigslist in VT at the moment... someone buy it.
"-)

Vintage Oliver tube amp
Old 18th April 2008
js1
Lives for gear

I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if I was anywhere nearby.

js
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search