The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A 4x12 cabinet with 4 different elements..??
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

A 4x12 cabinet with 4 different elements..??

Hi
I was just thinking....
Would that make any sense? Could it work?
I was thinking that it would be a good weapon in the studio, to have a 4x12 cabinet with 4 different elements, 4 different sounds.
Funny that no such "studio cabs" exist... Or is there something I´m not thinking of that makes this a bad idea?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I've been wondering too - check out this thread I started on another forum:

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28666

and in another thread over there a guy said:

Quote:
i changed my 2002 16 ohm uberkab into 1-75, 1-v30, 1-greenback, 1-gh30-i call it the *buffet* kab

you want creamy vintage rock mic the gh30, you want legato fusion mic the v30, you want 80s honk mic the green, you want anger mic the 75
(from here: http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29937)

/megl
Old 15th January 2007
Here for the gear

I've tried only 4x12 marshall with Gr.&v-30.. It's the best for me.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Speaker sensitivity would be an issue. V30s seem louder than most other speakers for two reasons. They are more efficient/sensitive and they tend to have a couple of peaks in the upper-mids, right where your ears are most sensitive.

For this reason I have a few mixed 2x12s around. I have a g12k-100/lead 80 cab and a greenback/g12t75 cab and an umixed cab with fanes.

My 4x12s are all unmixed. I have a g12k-100 4x12, a v30 4x12 and a g12t-75 4x12, which are all good for different purposes.

If you like v30s, I find they pair nicely with g12k-100s.

The 2x12 idea works well for me, because you can easily run two of them together if you want 4 different speakers, or separately if you don't. Just make sure speakers loaded in the same 2x12 compliment each other!

Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mixed 2x12", get the cabs built and choose as you like.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMT View Post
Hi
I was just thinking....
Would that make any sense? Could it work?
I was thinking that it would be a good weapon in the studio, to have a 4x12 cabinet with 4 different elements, 4 different sounds.
Funny that no such "studio cabs" exist... Or is there something I´m not thinking of that makes this a bad idea?
As someone who has spent an awful lot of time on 'tone searching' over the years I think I can safely say it isn't going to work.
The speakers will all have different sensitivities- you wont get 4 different AND complimentary sounds- You WILL get phasing issues though.
It is like these guys who use 15 mics on a guitar cab- I just don't see any improvement- move one mic 1/2 a cm and it ****s everything up.
That is if you mean mean to run them all concurrently.
Also- an old greenback can sound completely different to a new one.
Also a 4x12 will generally have one speaker that sounds perceptibly better than all the others- don't ask me why, it just works out that way.

I have 1/2 a dozen cabinets- old marshalls, newish marshalls, old fender bassmans, custom built cabs and a Hermit cab.
My fave that works on pretty much everything is a mid 90's Marshall 2x12 loaded with 75watt celestions. Nothing special on paper, but just sounds kick ass.

You are much better spending time on technique than worrying about this speaker and that....
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

Mixing speakers in a 4x12

i can see like a 4x12 with v30's on the bottom 75 watters on the top, like the
bogner uber cabs. but yeah man, phase issues galore is what comes to mind.
greenbacks vary a lot from one to the next so just a 4x12 with some new and old
ones mixed up would be enough fun for me.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

Budda makes 4 speaker cab that is split, half sealed, half open. In the sealed box there is one 12" speaker, and one 10" speaker. In the open it's the same.

Theres a pic from a session a year or two ago.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search