The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Epi Jr head doesn't work. Bummer.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

2nd Epi Jr head doesn't work. WTF?

Got mine about a week ago and just finished building a 12" speker cab. I doesn't work. No sound. Thinking it might be the cab, I hooked it up through my Sansamp RBI, and it worked fine. So it's not the cab. I had gotten replacement tubes and swapped those out and still nothing. So what could it be? What should I look for and when do you just send it back?

What a bummer.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what's going on with it. Today I turned it on an the tubes were lit. Last night they weren't. So it's working now but it is very noisy. When turned all the way down, it's buzzing like crazy. The slightest bit up from the bottom volume and the heavy buzz stops but it's still very noisy. I know that this is considered a very quiet amp so it's a little strange for sure.

Any ideas?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd send it back and exchange it. Mine is very quiet.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

does anyone here have a big hum when the volume knob is turned all the way off?

What could that be? Wiring? Would the Bitmo Mod fix this?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
does anyone here have a big hum when the volume knob is turned all the way off?

What could that be? Wiring? Would the Bitmo Mod fix this?
I think that's normal. Mine does it. My Reeves 6 watt did it also, only worse. It's not noisy when in use though.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Why does that happen?

Anyone have the technical reason.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

My guess is a loop gets created when the volume potentiometer is at a near zero resistance. Rip out the pcb and rebuild the amp using star grounding & p-t-p wiring. Replace the output transformer while you're inside. Hardly seems worth it to me for a $99 amp but some people are doing exactly that.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Tom.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

send it back, get it replaced. they're quite useable, but it's epiphone so you have to expect a few bad eggs. can't tell you for certain what's wrong, but something is. if it's a week old, then it's under warranty, right?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I sent it back. Damn I hate waiting.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send it back, mine doesn't hum at all.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Got one a few weeks ago... DOA as well.

However, they sent a second one out that is pretty darn cool (not to mention the price is great, too).
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

still waiting on mine. I got bigger problems now... my DAW just took a **** dive.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Guru

I feel for you.

In the last few years lost my mixer, my vintage (heehee) Alesis 3630, my EPS,
my valve FX and just this last month, my Blues Deluxe.

If I could just have all the gear I already owned, in working order, I'd be fine.

Think I better buy a power conditioner first.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I hear you, Bro-han.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Send it back, mine doesn't hum at all.
Agreed - my Valve Jr. head was silent out of the box, you must have gotten a lemon.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

At least you guys can buy them.

Won't be March until we see our FIRST shipments here in Oz.
Old 31st January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
My guess is a loop gets created when the volume potentiometer is at a near zero resistance. Rip out the pcb and rebuild the amp using star grounding & p-t-p wiring. Replace the output transformer while you're inside. Hardly seems worth it to me for a $99 amp but some people are doing exactly that.
What brand of output transformer and where do you get it?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher View Post
What brand of output transformer and where do you get it?
I'm still using the stock OT but you can get a suitable Hammond (125 series?) OT from Mouser for under $30. I don't see much point spending the $ on a MM upgrade when I already have some very nice amps. Besides that, it'd sort of be like having Jim Williams upgrade some Behringer crap.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

OK. Just got the second one after two weeks and it's loud and buzzy as ****. WTF? Is it a second bad one or is it something else. I was pissed before. Now I'm fvckin livid.

What else could it be?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
OK. Just got the second one after two weeks and it's loud and buzzy as ****. WTF? Is it a second bad one or is it something else. I was pissed before. Now I'm fvckin livid.

What else could it be?
Forgive me for asking the obvious -- could it be a bad guitar cable?? Check it, I can't see these heads all being bad unless the place you ordered from just has a bad batch or a bad run, like it was tainted spinach or something. By the way, my band just recorded 2 songs and i played 2 rhythm guitar trax and used a Valve Jr. head with a strat and a paul on each side, thru an AMS Neve 88R board. No pedals, stock tubes (although I have JJ's on order.) No noise whatsoever, and I will post sound clips within a week or so. AWESOME guitar tone.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Guru

Your VJr should be quiet unless you have the knobs on your guitar wide open causing
some feeback?

I'm wondering if you might have a bad cable or bad power outlet or a grounding loop.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I'll check it out fellas, but it would be strange. I have a Deluxe Reverb plugged into the same socket and that runs silent - even cranked. I even unplugged that and plugged into the very same socket and it's still noisy as ****. I'm using a short mogami cable from head to cab and a 10' Mogami cable from guitar to head. No pedals. I got this from Musicians Friend. Maybe I'll bring it over to the GC to put it up against theirs.

I dunno. Not the experience I was looking for yet. Been a PIA.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I've talked about this in another thread, but the Mercury Magnetics mod is a HUGE improvement over the stock amp. It's quieter, less fizzy, and ballsy. Night and day. It ain't cheap, but still in the end you've got a fantastic recording amp for less than 5 bills.

Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

for 99 its an excellent platform to tinker with.

It'll get decent (not stellar) tone out of the box

But, by all means, I think everybody should buy
one.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll check it out fellas, but it would be strange. I have a Deluxe Reverb plugged into the same socket and that runs silent - even cranked. I even unplugged that and plugged into the very same socket and it's still noisy as ****. I'm using a short mogami cable from head to cab and a 10' Mogami cable from guitar to head. No pedals. I got this from Musicians Friend. Maybe I'll bring it over to the GC to put it up against theirs.

I dunno. Not the experience I was looking for yet. Been a PIA.
Does your DR have a 3 prong plug? If not, you could have the polarity reversed at the outlet which wouldn't cause a problem until a 3 prong plug is used.

You could also have a questionable tube.

What speaker are you using with the amp? Do you have any track lighting, dimmer switches, big neon pabst blue ribbon sign?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

could an improperly wired speaker cuse this? Just a guess.
Old 13th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I don't know, I just got one like 2 weeks ago from MF. It was extremely quiet right out of the box. No buzz or hum...
Old 13th February 2007
Gear Guru

Do you have an electrical outlet tester?

A bad ground on your outlet or 1/2 the outlet reversed in polarity?

It could be something that simple.

If taking to GC is no big deal, that's worth a try.
Old 13th February 2007
Lives for gear

Just a guess. look into it being the DC filament hum problem that plagued the earlier runs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search