The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Lightest Weight guitar, but with good tone?
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Nut

Lightest Weight guitar, but with good tone?

Hey I've been playing a Les paul and I have back problems... It's too damn heavy, I can't do it anymore... plus I'm really not digging the Les Paul sound anymore.

What would it be a great light weight guitar?

I went for Fender Stratos (thought Deluxe Player) and Teles (Nashvile perhaps, any thoughts?) or some hollowbody which would be probably by Gretsch.

I love the sound of all of them. The Gretsch probably would be too expensive so perhaps fender would be better but you guys know which one is the lightest? Does it make much difference a Tele Thinline from a normal one??

Or any recomendations?

My back says thank you ()
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

MusicMan Axis, Luke or Silhouette. All very lightweight and have a versatile tone.
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear
The Tele can do stuff very similar to a Les Paul when soloing, but weight really changes between one tele and the other.

A friend bought an American Tele recently and it was as heavy as a Les Paul! I played some really light ones though too over the years you just have to get out and try some.

Also, don't pass humbucker loaded Fender guitars (be it strat or tele). I know no one imagines a Fender with humbucker but they sound amazing!
Old 25th September 2015

This one is really light....

Normandy Alumicaster Electric Guitar Review

Mine has Duncan 1/4-pounders and sounds awesome.

-tINY

Old 25th September 2015
Parker guitars ... very light and easy on the back / shoulder thing, they sound cool too.
Old 25th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folk_ View Post
Hey I've been playing a Les paul and I have back problems... It's too damn heavy, I can't do it anymore... plus I'm really not digging the Les Paul sound anymore.

I went for Fender Stratos (thought Deluxe Player) and Teles (Nashvile perhaps, any thoughts?) or some hollowbody which would be probably by Gretsch.

I love the sound of all of them. The Gretsch probably would be too expensive so perhaps fender would be better but you guys know which one is the lightest? Does it make much difference a Tele Thinline from a normal one??

Or any recomendations?

Musicman Silhouette Special - I own one and it is incredible. Much lighter than a Strat or Tele and sounds amazing. You barely feel it when playing.
Old 25th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
Parker guitars ... very light and easy on the back / shoulder thing, they sound cool too.
This.

Parker Fly is the lightest guitar in production. They sound great, play great, and cost a king's ransom.
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Never held the believe that an electric solid body has to be heavy to sound good, etc/end rant..

I would just check out what appeals to you looks/spec-wise and pick a light one. If it's an extreme issue though, I personally am a fan of Steinbergers..but that's kind of a divided topic around here.
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Head

I've got a parker that's near weightless and it sounds great. Make sure to do your research on what year you want because I think parker has just gone out of business. Another great option is a really light ash strat or tele. I've got a strat from carvin and it's barely heavier than the fly.
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Nut

My Les Paul Special with P90's, real good bang for the buck.

Another suggestion: Tele Custom thinline.
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Musicman Silhouette Special - I own one and it is incredible. Much lighter than a Strat or Tele and sounds amazing. You barely feel it when playing.
Great ergonomics too I would add.
Old 25th September 2015
Bummer about Parker going under ... I do have a pre Washburn Fly Deluxe and it's a great guitar.

Another light guitar I could recommend is the Suhr Modern Satin.
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Addict
Vigier Excalibur
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:

Or any recomendations?

The idea that a heavier guitar has 'better' tone is largely a nonsense, fortunately it seems to be going out of fashion.
There's certainly a specific grunt you only really get from a Les Paul but in my experience the lighter examples are superior to most of the back breaking slabs I've played.

The out and out 'best' guitar I ever played was a mid '70's SG which came through the workshop for a respray.
I've never seen one quite like it - the neck was set parallel with the body and the controls were front mounted.
It was an ugly thing, but light as a feather and had tone and sustain to die for.

With that in mind, I'd suggest having a look for a nice, light SG. Like most production guitars they tend to be a little generic. Until you find the right one...
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

If you want to stick with the Gibson sound, get an SG.

If you're ready for a change, get a tele. That said, I think fenders sound better with class A amps, so if you have a Marshall you may consider changing amps as well.
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

I have a SG and a Silhouette and find the SG to not be very comfortable when sitting down for me. I do prefer the Gibson scale though. My dream guitar would be a 24.75" Music Man.
Old 26th September 2015
Gear Nut

I'd say give the SG a try. I find them very comfortable when I play them sitting down. SG's have front jacks, so nothing to jam against your thigh if you're sliding or moving the guitar on your lap. Some folks complain about neck diving, but that's not an issue if the guitar's n your lap. Same gibson flavor but more versatile tone than lp IMO. Parker's are great too.
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

a pre-washburn parker fly can be an amazing guitar.. you'll barely notice it's there
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaks View Post
I'd say give the SG a try. I find them very comfortable when I play them sitting down. SG's have front jacks, so nothing to jam against your thigh if you're sliding or moving the guitar on your lap. Some folks complain about neck diving, but that's not an issue if the guitar's n your lap. Same gibson flavor but more versatile tone than lp IMO. Parker's are great too.
Mine has irritable neck dive sitting or standing. I do like the front jack though. Don't like 4 knobs. God I'm picky.
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

Another mention for Music Man...The fixed bridge Axis is under 7 lbs and has great tone, and the necks are super fast.
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

I've got an old Tele that's about a feather. Sounds amazing. I've had numerous Tele's over the years, and have not found one ounce of truth in the myth that heavier sounds better or that light guitars lack tone.

Also got a 64 SG Jr that you don't even know you're wearing. It sounds heavier than a butcher's bulldog.
Old 27th September 2015
My Ibanez RG is is significantly lighter than my ESP LTDM205. The tone on the RG CUTS through the mix better and has a ballsier lead tone from the bridge pickup. The ESP is a deeper denser tone that lends itself better to big sounding power chords.

I believe the right pickup combination in any guitar and a coil tap pot can achieve numerous different tones.

Find one that plays well and is comfortable to wear and make it sound how you like with strings, pickups, pots, picks, and playing style.
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear
My EC Strat is featherweight but has a big tone.
Old 27th September 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the answers!
What I meant by a "light guitar but still with great tone" was that it wasn't just the search for the lightest guitar ever... I wanted a good one hehe

Before creating the thread I searched about it and there was one thread that became a competition for who could find a lighter guitar no matter the quality lol

But to reply, I'm really don't like the sound of SGs, not for what I play (That would be Dylan, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Frusciante stuff With Folk, country influences etc) I found Gibsons too fat.

I really liked that Silhouete guitar tone, too bad I found it pretty ugly haha and wouldn't find it anywhere here to try it...

Is there any particular reasons almost no one mentioned hollow bodies?
Old 27th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:

They're not usually particularly light
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hollow bodies sound completely different from a solid body. They are also much more prone to feedback, so I wouldn't recommend one as a replacement for a solid body.

If you mean semi-hollow, they do sound like a solid body to my ears and are as feedback resistant as a solid body, but it seems like they usually aren't very light for some reason. That said, I love ES-335s. That's one guitar I don't own but would love to get one.
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I really liked that Silhouete guitar tone, too bad I found it pretty ugly haha and wouldn't find it anywhere here to try it...
So JP15?

Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear
Danelectro
Old 27th September 2015
Lives for gear

PRS McCarty Korina. I have one and it is insanely light and sounds incredible. Music Man guitars can be light but also quite heavy. Don't assume anything. I have a somewhat heavy axis, extremely heavy sterling 4, and extremely lightweight sterling 5
Old 28th September 2015
Gear Guru

PRS Soapbar SE, single cut was not only light, but fast shredder neck and well balanced.

I'd suggest a Collings, but that's gonna be as much as a nice Gretsch.

How about a Tele Thinline?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search