The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone ever hear of a Miles Platting amp (pic in thread)?
Old 8th January 2007
Gear Nut

Anyone ever hear of a Miles Platting amp (pic in thread)?

Anyone know what this amp is? Never seen one before!
Old 8th January 2007
Lives for gear

They show up used every once in while. All tube British made amp somewhat similar to a vintage Marshall. I've seen them referred to as a poor man's plexi but pretty much all vintage UK tube amps get that moniker. I've never played one so I can't comment on the sound. The ones I've seen for sale were in the range of $700-$1000US. Try the plexi palace forum. You'll get more info than you'll care to have regarding that amp. Construction wise, they were better than Simms-Watts and Sound City but not quite on the same level as Hiwatt and Marshall. They're point to point wired and use Partridge trannies, IIRC.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks Tom, I found out the preamp section is modeled after a Fender Bassman, while the power amp section is a Marshall imitation. When he gets it I'll post about how it sounds
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

I own one

Yeah, I've got one of these, a V.50. I stumbled on this forum while searching for more info or another one for sale. It's not working at the moment but when it does work, it's fantastic. I run it through a Celestion vintage 30 loaded 2x12 cab with a Marshall BB2 & D*A*M Sonic titan pedal to push into overdrive. Super clean vintage sound with virtually no hum due to the rectifier valve. It's kind of Marshally sounding but with it's own character. It goes pretty loud too & the sound begins to distort a little when cranked high.
Got it for £100 sterling with a cab about 10 years ago. I believe they were made from early to mid 70's in Doncaster, Yorkshire by Wilsic Sound & distributed by JSG. I've only ever seen 1 other Miles Platting & that was a V.50 combo in a shop in Doncaster.
Totally hand-wired to a high standard & not a PCB in sight. Judging by a catalogue I saw Miles Plattings were designed to be versatile & can be used for Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Vocal PA... anything you can plug into it basically. The 4 inputs can be used simultaneously (I dunno if doing this is a good idea but it works).
I'll post a couple of pics when the Amp's back from being repaired & serviced.
Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

Very strange I thought I was the only one

Hi, ive been looking for info on Miles platting amps for ages and just as I've decided to get rid of mine your thread has shown up on my searches. Mine hasn't any model numbers on it but has 2 celestion G12 h rola speakers in the back. thought i'd send you a pic if its any help to you...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone ever hear of a Miles Platting amp (pic in thread)?-2007-112.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

So it arrived and I got to listen to it for a couple hours today. With his Les Paul I didn't like it at all. It was too clean without a box and with an overdrive it took on a ProCo Rat like distortion a little too overdone.

But then he plugged in a Tele and the sound was really gorgeous. The only thing I can compare it to is a 58 Fender Deluxe I used to get to play once in awhile back in the day. Shimmery, clear deep tones, glittery highs, with the three way switch in the middle, that Fender tone shone through.

So for all Tele related recording the Miles Platting has become our go to.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Maybe these are too rare and little known to be better respected? The sound is exceptional.
Tamra
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

Please do post those pics.
it sure is LOUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goad View Post
Yeah, I've got one of these, a V.50. I stumbled on this forum while searching for more info or another one for sale. It's not working at the moment but when it does work, it's fantastic. I run it through a Celestion vintage 30 loaded 2x12 cab with a Marshall BB2 & D*A*M Sonic titan pedal to push into overdrive. Super clean vintage sound with virtually no hum due to the rectifier valve. It's kind of Marshally sounding but with it's own character. It goes pretty loud too & the sound begins to distort a little when cranked high.
Got it for £100 sterling with a cab about 10 years ago. I believe they were made from early to mid 70's in Doncaster, Yorkshire by Wilsic Sound & distributed by JSG. I've only ever seen 1 other Miles Platting & that was a V.50 combo in a shop in Doncaster.
Totally hand-wired to a high standard & not a PCB in sight. Judging by a catalogue I saw Miles Plattings were designed to be versatile & can be used for Guitar, Bass, Keyboard, Vocal PA... anything you can plug into it basically. The 4 inputs can be used simultaneously (I dunno if doing this is a good idea but it works).
I'll post a couple of pics when the Amp's back from being repaired & serviced.
Old 26th June 2007
Here for the gear

Sorry for the delayed response...

Here's an old pic of the Miles with some other equipment I own / used to own.

I'll get some new pics in the next few days & post them. I'll try to get some decent ones of the inside cos I think it's been altered a few times over the years.

If that combo's still up for grabs I might be interested.
Old 6th July 2007
Here for the gear

Some better pics

The cab isn't a Miles Platting. I had a spare nameplate & stuck it on to match the amp better.

Note the curious purple paint on the inside of the rear cover. As far as I know, this is original but I don't know if it was common on these amps.
Old 6th July 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonni.trotter View Post
Hi, ive been looking for info on Miles platting amps for ages and just as I've decided to get rid of mine your thread has shown up on my searches. Mine hasn't any model numbers on it but has 2 celestion G12 h rola speakers in the back. thought i'd send you a pic if its any help to you...
Nice --- love the G12H 30s!

How does it sound?

Are you in the UK?
Old 11th July 2007
Here for the gear

I have a v.50 - mine is brown rather than black. I have the Miles Platting cab as well. I havn't used it for a while, but turned it on the other day to find that the channel with the inputs on the right hand side isn't working properly. It is very quiet and the bass, treble and presence controls on that channel don't seem to have much/any effect. The other channel works fine.

I've recently got back into playing guitar a little and my amp knowledge is pretty limited.

I would be very grateful if someone with more knowledge than me could say whether it would cost much to get this fixed.
Old 10th July 2013
Here for the gear

I have one of these wilsic sound amps which seems to be in working order and reasonable condition after spending its life in a school music department and not been used that much. Im in leeds, UK and wondered how much this would be worth and if anyone was interested in buying it? thought I might aswell ask some people who actually appreciate and care about this kind of equipment before banging it on ebay. if your interested or just know anything about this amp you can contact me on [email protected] any help would be much appreciated

cheers jack
Old 10th July 2013
Here for the gear

here are some pics of the amp

Old 10th July 2013
Mastering Moderator

Ah, somebody should pick this up!
Nice good sounding amps, Miles Platting, Wilsic Sound and the JHS connection. This was also available as a head. I have only seen two of those heads so far.
Price depends on condition and specifically assuming the transformers are fine, how many filter caps that need changing are there as well as valve life left.
A fair figure for a good condition specimen would be around £300. Some will want to pay less, some will make an effort and accept even a bit (but not too much more). This is for pick up. If you have to ship it you will probably have to aim a bit lower as it is heavish.
ymmv

This need to be played!
Old 11th July 2013
Here for the gear

thankyou that's great! im gonna hopefully have someone who has more of an idea about these things to assess it properly and then try and sell it pretty quickly. any takers??

cheers jack
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search