The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Active basses for recording Condenser Microphones
Old 28th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
To me, the interesting point is that McCartney and, say, Chris Squire are both using 4001 basses built a couple of years apart. It's mostly a matter of how you balance the "treble" pickup with the series capacitor, and the "bass" pickup, and whether you use flats or round-wounds.

The 4001 is much more versatile than many people think.

I have the 4001 with rounds and a 4005 with flats. They cover a lot of ground.
I agree. Squire played the same combination of his '64 4001 (RM1999) and '65 Marshall JMP on tour up until he passed away. (along with other amps like an SVT...)
Legend was that the Marshall never failed him on tour, ever. Roger Glover played a 4001 on a lot of early Purple stuff into a Marshall Major.

Both bands did not have rhythm guitar, both bassists held up the whole mid and bottom end with one instrument during lead guitar passages. Very versatile indeed.
Old 30th May 2017
Joe Conti of Kona, HI has a couple of active Ricky basses. One is a 1972 fretless with an replaced ebony fingerboard. They sound great, really clear and quiet too.
Old 13th April 2019
Hello everyone, i had a question.
I just bought a beautiful 1981 G&L L-2000 series E bass.
The sound is absolutely amazing, I've always wanted one.
I record directly into an apogee ensemble thunderbolt into logic x.
So far I've been using both pickups with the active preamp on the bass itself, not the treble lift active section, but the flat preamp section.
I get a hot signal naturally, where i can only have the apogee preamp on 10 which is fine.
Seeing that the apogee ensemble sort of acts as a direct box, would it be wise for me to get a passive DI box before going into the apogee ?
or is that overkill ?
Thank you
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Depends on whether you LIKE the sound of the Apogee as a DI

Have you tried just turning down the volume on the bass itself?
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
Depends on whether you LIKE the sound of the Apogee as a DI

Have you tried just turning down the volume on the bass itself?
I actually do like the sound of the apogee, i don't want to turn the bass volume down as i want to hear the pickups all the way up.
I thought a passive direct box might lower the signal level a bit, i guess thats not the case ?
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Nope you probably just want to turn the volume down on your bass a little. It’s confusing since you say you want to hear the pickups all the way up. You can still do that while lowering the volume on the bass. The L2000 has a million knobs, I am sure some control each pickups volume or balance. And another controls the volume after that.. Just turn that down a little.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Nope you probably just want to turn the volume down on your bass a little. It’s confusing since you say you want to hear the pickups all the way up. You can still do that while lowering the volume on the bass. The L2000 has a million knobs, I am sure some control each pickups volume or balance. And another controls the volume after that.. Just turn that down a little.
i can turn down the apogee preamp, its on 10, i'll turn it down to 5.
So what would a DI box do in my setup ?
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreckdirect View Post
Every DI box has a different sound. So what would it do? It'll give you a different sound...whether it's better or worse (or worth it to you) is for you to decide.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
What DI box? If it is a good tube DI, it will probably thicken your tone by adding more harmonics to the sound. You would then want to bypass the DI on your interface and go into a line in instead.

It sounds like you are already going into an instrument input in on your interface so you already are going into a DI. Doubling them up won't really do much,imo.

Turing down your preamp or bass volume is all you really need to in this situation.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Every DI box has a different sound. So what would it do? It'll give you a different sound...whether it's better or worse (or worth it to you) is for you to decide.
Awesome, thank you, this answers my question, appreciate it
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
What DI box? If it is a good tube DI, it will probably thicken your tone by adding more harmonics to the sound. You would then want to bypass the DI on your interface and go into a line in instead.

It sounds like you are already going into an instrument input in on your interface so you already are going into a DI. Doubling them up won't really do much,imo.

Turing down your preamp or bass volume is all you really need to in this situation.
This is great to know, the last thing i need is for this bass to sound any thicker lol its really a monster :-)
Im going to stick with using the apogee, thank you :-)
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I actually do like the sound of the apogee, i don't want to turn the bass volume down as i want to hear the pickups all the way up.
I thought a passive direct box might lower the signal level a bit, i guess thats not the case ?
But of it’s active
you might very well find that turning down the bass doesn’t SOUND any different.

Last edited by wwittman; 13th April 2019 at 09:20 PM..
Old 14th April 2019
Quote:
Since you have a active buffer in the bass that doesn't matter. The buffer is between the pickup(s) and the amp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search