The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Tips & Techniques:Logic 8 How to migrate samples to external drive

Hi,

I recently installed Logic Studio on a Macbook and it's great but I got hold of an external hard drive yesterday and would like to run all of Logic's samples off of it - would someone be kind enough to tell me the best way to do this? Should I reinstall Logic or can I just access the samples and move them?

Many thanks in advance!

(Find the answers via the 'discussion' or 'comment' links below)

Created by withneil, 27th December 2007 at 08:25 AM
Last edited by mw, 27th March 2012 at 03:05 PM
Last comment by crypticscifer on 12th June 2009 at 11:00 PM
14 Comments, 9,142 Views



(14) Comments for: Logic 8 How to migrate samples to external drive Page Tools Search this Page
Old 27th December 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
macleodgrant's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by withneil View Post
Hi,

I recently installed Logic Studio on a Macbook and it's great but I got hold of an external hard drive yesterday and would like to run all of Logic's samples off of it - would someone be kind enough to tell me the best way to do this? Should I reinstall Logic or can I just access the samples and move them?

Many thanks in advance!
the easiest way to do this is to move the relevant folders in the following location to your new location.
/Library/Application Support/Logic

once the copy is complete, command+alt drag the folders that you copied back to the above location which will create aliases then logic will find them in the new location!
Old 27th December 2007
  #2
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
the easiest way to do this is to move the relevant folders in the following location to your new location.
/Library/Application Support/Logic

once the copy is complete, command+alt drag the folders that you copied back to the above location which will create aliases then logic will find them in the new location!
Yes, but after you copy the "Sampler Instruments alias" to the original location, make sure you take "alias" out of the name or it will not recognize it.
Old 28th December 2007
  #3
Gear Head
 
withneil's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks very much!
Old 28th December 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
 

Do you do the same for the Ultrabeat samples as well?
Old 28th December 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
macleodgrant's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
Do you do the same for the Ultrabeat samples as well?
sure, no reason why not
Old 28th December 2007
  #6
I want to do this with my apple loops and samples... Still trying to figure out what language you guys are talking... Not to good with apple system stuff here.
Old 28th December 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I want to do this with my apple loops and samples... Still trying to figure out what language you guys are talking... Not to good with apple system stuff here.
I Believe that all apple loops reside in the Garageband folder, I might be wrong, maybe some here could clear this.
Old 28th December 2007
  #8
Gear addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
I Believe that all apple loops reside in the Garageband folder, I might be wrong, maybe some here could clear this.
That used to be the case.

Now all Apple factory Apple Loops are stored in:
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops

Orren
Old 28th December 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orren View Post
That used to be the case.

Now all Apple factory Apple Loops are stored in:
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops

Orren
Thank you Orren, for clearing that up thumbsup

if thats moved do we put an alias in that folder as well?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2007
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
vyedmic's Avatar
 

Just did it. Only thing was that when copying the alias back it asked for authentication. It works also with Instrument Library folder from /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/
Reply

Bookmarks
Page Tools
Search this Page


Posting Rules
You may not create new articles
You may edit articles
You may not protect articles

You may not post comments
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your comments

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off