The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Tips & Techniques:A Pet Trick for the 2500 Fans out there

Someone was asking me about the l/r link on the 2500 in another thread, and my ramblings reminded me of a trick I use all the time and figured I'd share here, I imagine some guys will find this as cool as I do.

The 2500 has one set of controls, but there's a very cool way to use the two channels serially and have separate control over the amount of GR you get on each channel.

This is how you set it up:

1) Patch channel 1 into channel 2

2) Set L/R to Independent

3) Engage Feed Back mode

4) Engage Manual Output Gain, set to 0

5) Set your meters to view Gain Reduction

The combination of #2 & #3, coupled with the way #4 feeds the energy back into the detector, is the secret spice here.

Try this:

1) Send a mono drum buss, a good balance of kick snare and room, into channel 1. Out of 1 into 2.

2) Set your ratio low, start with 2:1. Set your attack to 10ms and your release wherever you like it. Maybe 50, maybe 400, maybe 1.5, depends on the thickness/distortion factor you want (or don't).

3) Use the threshold to get some squeeze on channel 1. Note how at some point channel 2 starts reacting too, but probably less.

4) Goose the output gain knob; what should happen is the GR in channel 2 will increase at a greater rate than channel 1.

This is where the fun begins. Essentially the Threshold is threshold control for channel 1, and Gain is the threshold control for #2 (that's not actually what's going on, but the effect is roughly the same).

So grab both the threshold and gain knobs, and move them around simultaneously, one up the other down, or both up, or both down. Listen to the ways that the transient gets shaped differently by having the different channels do their thing in greater and lesser proportions.

The amount of control you have over the sound here is phenomenal. Don't forget to play with attack and ratio's.

Serial compression rules, especially on vocals. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk

Contributors: mw, u b k
Created by u b k, 29th June 2009 at 08:24 PM
Last edited by mw, 27th March 2012 at 03:05 PM
Last comment by Eganmedia on 21st September 2010 at 02:49 AM
16 Comments, 15,186 Views

(16) Comments for: A Pet Trick for the 2500 Fans out there Page Tools Search this Page
Old 29th June 2009
Thanks for this one !

Old 29th June 2009
Thnx, don't have 2500, but I always like to read compression tips/tricks by UBK
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

What an inspiring post! Thanx mane.
Old 30th June 2009
Very cool! This is thinking outside of the box. Or more in the box in this case!
Old 30th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Serial compression rules, especially on vocals. thumbsup
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Sweet trick!
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

I do something similar with the 2500 at times. A double dose can really amp (or rather... comp) things up.

Secret spice is an apt description!!
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

wicked. now i need a 2500 ! got anything of the like for distressors?

thanks greg!!
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Gotta try that one.
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Greg,

How would you do something like this in Logic?

I set up a drum loop in ch. 1, out to aux 1, set up a mono 2500 in each, but can't really seem to hear what I'm supposed to (?)