Post your rough demos - Page 47 - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community
Post your rough demos
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wait a minute Wagtunes...wait a minute. You mean to tell me that none of your stuff is human? It's all samples and in the box? Is that right?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Wait a minute Wagtunes...wait a minute. You mean to tell me that none of your stuff is human? It's all samples and in the box? Is that right?
That is correct. Vocals are created via this software.

https://net.vocaloid.com/en/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
That is correct. Vocals are created via this software.

https://net.vocaloid.com/en/

My understanding is they only showcase Japanese singers, yes?
Why can't they use one with a New York accent?

~HW
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
My understanding is they only showcase Japanese singers, yes?
Why can't they use one with a New York accent?

~HW
There are 4 American singers now.

Cyber Diva
Dex
Daina
Ruby
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are 4 American singers now.

Cyber Diva
Dex
Daina
Ruby

Wag, I still hear a slight Japanese intonation here and there.

Even if these '4 American singers' are native-born, there's still a discrepancy somewhere caused by the Vocaloid's engineers not fully understanding how american 'inflection' works and that comes across in the final product.

Sorry for being so picky, but I do find it a bit distractive; anyways, it works for you and that's all that matters.

Cheers,
HW
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Not much of a song just yet. Trying to get the overall tone close.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguitarman View Post
Well, like the foundation. Nice and tight. Curious to hear what you do with it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman View Post
Seriously, I've been working hard on my tracks lately but I don't think you can fix crap.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyh4gAHjaD8
The vocal is interesting. It might be able to pull the listener in more if the mix wasn't so distracting. It sounds like the drums, bass and guitar are all playing in different rooms. Not necessarily a problem if it's done that way on purpose and there's some kind of intent, but in this case it sounds kind of random and careless.

Maybe you should work from the bare bones up, just vox and guitar, then add other elements only when you can make them sound like they belong there. I dunno... might be a good mixing exercise. As you get better at making things fit you can experiment (carefully) with things that don't fit.

Just an idea. Thanks for the opportunity to critique your work. Best of luck to you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Another Vocaloid original. This one a sort of hard rock tune probably circa 1975.

Lyrics in description.

You've got some great synth sounds in there... maybe a few too many synth sounds? The intro grabs attention, but the vocal melody in the verses is kind of plain-jane. I'm not wild about the tone-wheel (B-3?) emulation either. it sounds a bit too staccato and really sticks out where it shouldn't.

You obviously know a bunch about song structure. I'll have to check out more of your stuff when I have a more time. Unfortunately, my web connection gets really slow when it rains so it's a struggle right now.

Thanks for the opportunity to listen and critique your work. Best of luck to you!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Well, like the foundation. Nice and tight. Curious to hear what you do with it.
Thanks wagtunes! I'm kind of curious where I'm going with it as well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Convo 23 (demo)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJon View Post
Here's a demo of one of my newer songs. I appreciate any and all critiques/comments!

https://soundcloud.com/jon-borcherdi...rsation-23-mx1
I like it. Vocals are great. Could be brought up just a bit in places but that's just nit picking. Nice guitar work. Reminds me of a group but I can't place it right now. It'll come to me eventually.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Great! Post back here when you're done. I want to listen to it.
Hey man, it's not quite finished but this is what I have so far. Bear with the horrible quality, my recording gear's kinda messed up right now so I had to record each section on a looper pedal and piece it together in audacity. I have an additional part I wanted to record (maybe even a little solo or something too) but my interface is pretty bad but once I get it working I'll try to make it actually sound somewhat decent let me know what you think. The drums are just from a casio so I'll most likely change those too

https://soundcloud.com/deadhandsband...icallthisthing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermanager View Post
Hey man, it's not quite finished but this is what I have so far. Bear with the horrible quality, my recording gear's kinda messed up right now so I had to record each section on a looper pedal and piece it together in audacity. I have an additional part I wanted to record (maybe even a little solo or something too) but my interface is pretty bad but once I get it working I'll try to make it actually sound somewhat decent let me know what you think. The drums are just from a casio so I'll most likely change those too

https://soundcloud.com/deadhandsband...icallthisthing
Back in the 70s, my friends and I used to get together and jam. I'd bring my Moog. Paul would bring his flute. Richard his guitar. Mike would hop on drums. Mark would come up with a melody make up some lyrics. We would do this for hours.

That's what this reminds me of, aside from mini skirts and drugs.

Oddly, there is a foundation there for a song. I could actually do something with this using the same chord progressions with maybe a little modification and/or additions here and there. And yes, it's decent enough at the crudest level to become a song. But right now it needs a lot of work. I mean a lot. A melody, of course. Some lyrics and something to break up the monotony because you really only have two distinct parts.

Like I said, I probably could do something with this being true to your "vision." Maybe I should so you could see what I'm talking about.

But yeah, at least it's not just one loop going over and over, so it's a start.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Back in the 70s, my friends and I used to get together and jam. I'd bring my Moog. Paul would bring his flute. Richard his guitar. Mike would hop on drums. Mark would come up with a melody make up some lyrics. We would do this for hours.

That's what this reminds me of, aside from mini skirts and drugs.

Oddly, there is a foundation there for a song. I could actually do something with this using the same chord progressions with maybe a little modification and/or additions here and there. And yes, it's decent enough at the crudest level to become a song. But right now it needs a lot of work. I mean a lot. A melody, of course. Some lyrics and something to break up the monotony because you really only have two distinct parts.

Like I said, I probably could do something with this being true to your "vision." Maybe I should so you could see what I'm talking about.

But yeah, at least it's not just one loop going over and over, so it's a start.

Cool man, and yeah I have a few ideas for melodies to go over different parts, I'm not sure why but when I tried recording more than one track it was all off sync. I'm gonna try writing some guitar parts too and throw in some tambourines and Doors-y drums (kinda the sound I was going for). I had a 4 track but it kinda died so I'm just using a cheap USB interface til I get my mixer working. But yeah it definitely needs a lot of work, I'm still working on it that's just sorta the structure I have for now.

I kinda know what I wanna do to bring it all together/developing it to the next step or whatever so I'm pretty psyched to finish it

So should I change the chord progressions even more or should I just try to add different melodies to go over it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermanager View Post
Cool man, and yeah I have a few ideas for melodies to go over different parts, I'm not sure why but when I tried recording more than one track it was all off sync. I'm gonna try writing some guitar parts too and throw in some tambourines and Doors-y drums (kinda the sound I was going for). I had a 4 track but it kinda died so I'm just using a cheap USB interface til I get my mixer working. But yeah it definitely needs a lot of work, I'm still working on it that's just sorta the structure I have for now.

I kinda know what I wanna do to bring it all together/developing it to the next step or whatever so I'm pretty psyched to finish it

So should I change the chord progressions even more or should I just try to add different melodies to go over it?
Right now you have, to my ears, a verse chord structure (the first loop) and a bridge chord structure (the 2nd loop) but you don't have what I would call a strong chorus chord structure. Now what you could do is simply make this an AAB form song. But then the "A" melody has to be really strong to carry it. Depending on your personal "skills" that could be easier or harder to pull off than Verse/Verse/Chorus form. I prefer the latter but can write in the former. I just don't enjoy it as much. Maybe you will.

Ultimately, there are no hard and fast rules. Go with your gut and I'll critique it accordingly. Then you can either make changes or move on to another song. I never redo a song. If it's no good, it's no good. I leave it as it is and move on. Some people will polish up a song 14 different times. That work style just isn't for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Right now you have, to my ears, a verse chord structure (the first loop) and a bridge chord structure (the 2nd loop) but you don't have what I would call a strong chorus chord structure. Now what you could do is simply make this an AAB form song. But then the "A" melody has to be really strong to carry it. Depending on your personal "skills" that could be easier or harder to pull off than Verse/Verse/Chorus form. I prefer the latter but can write in the former. I just don't enjoy it as much. Maybe you will.

Ultimately, there are no hard and fast rules. Go with your gut and I'll critique it accordingly. Then you can either make changes or move on to another song. I never redo a song. If it's no good, it's no good. I leave it as it is and move on. Some people will polish up a song 14 different times. That work style just isn't for me.
Ah ok, I'll give it a shot. And yeah I get that, you know what they say--you can only polish sh*t so much lol

For now I'm mostly trying to start finishing songs so even if it doesn't turn out too great it'll still be good practice I guess. I like where it's going so far though, so hopefully I can make it something somewhat decent. I'll try finishing it within the next few weeks, I wanna make the production a bit better just so it sounds smoother and isn't a chore to listen to
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Here's a demo of one of my newer songs. I appreciate any and all critiques/comments!

I can tell you who it reminds me of - Hank Williams III and AssJack.
I'm not at home so I can only hear it through these crappy laptop speakers. Is there a bass on that? The line can be simple, but it needs a lot of bottom end to balance the highs. That's not a knock on production at all since that's not what this forum is about. just arranging for fullness.
But again, it could just be my speakers.
Nice words and arrangement.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I like it. Vocals are great. Could be brought up just a bit in places but that's just nit picking. Nice guitar work. Reminds me of a group but I can't place it right now. It'll come to me eventually.
Thanks, wagtunes! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunglespice View Post
I can tell you who it reminds me of - Hank Williams III and AssJack.
I'm not at home so I can only hear it through these crappy laptop speakers. Is there a bass on that? The line can be simple, but it needs a lot of bottom end to balance the highs. That's not a knock on production at all since that's not what this forum is about. just arranging for fullness.
But again, it could just be my speakers.
Nice words and arrangement.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment! There should be plenty of bass guitar but I might need to tinker with eq to see if I can get some of it on the little lappy speakers.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:

Cool tune, nice vocal effect, it puts some grit on it.. I'd suggest trying to get the same grit action somehow on the rest of the instruments..

The vocal sort of sticks out production wise vs the other cleaner instruments..
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cguitarman View Post
Nice stuff. Is it going to be an instrumental? Great guitar playing..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Chris Perra, Thanks so much for listening and sharing your comments. I appreciate it!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Cosmic drama - who you are

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=cosmic drama;12026112]How do you feel about this one?
It's like a cross between 50s nightclub music and 80s rock.

Wow...that was really, um, different.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, I finally decided to upload some of my earlier tracks from years ago, bad equipment, bad singing, bad playing, bad recording and all. But the song structure is still there. But boy, was I clueless on how to record music back then.

There are currently 34 tracks on this list. I may or may not upload more depending on the reception.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenh...he-early-years

Enjoy...or not. LOL.

You've been warned.
Old 3 days ago
You have some cool demo's there lotta Beatles and 60's vibe going on,

The only thing I didn't like was the distorted vocals on alot of them.

Made it hard to listen to. without being distracted.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perra View Post
You have some cool demo's there lotta Beatles and 60's vibe going on,

The only thing I didn't like was the distorted vocals on alot of them.

Made it hard to listen to. without being distracted.
My recording equipment and technique back then was beyond abysmal.

Like I said, you were warned. LOL.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Uploaded another track to my Early Years playlist.

Again, bad recording, bad singing, bad playing, well, you know the drill. LOL
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search