View Single Post
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
The term "sounds better" is completely subjective. So I guess we then need to decide what is meant by "worthy specimen".
In this case, because there's a control element (a well-maintained C12 which exhibits what engineers typically perceive as the C12 sound), and because, in my experience, a group of engineers who admire the general characteristics of a C12 tend to agree upon what constitutes a good and bad C12, we can toss much of the typical subjectivity of microphones out the window. I'll put it this way: those I've asked in person know instantly what I'm referring to when discussing the admirable attributes of a C12, and from what I've read here so do those who've commented on and have experience with vintage C12s AND modern clones, Teles in particular.

Quote:
While I agree that a C12vr does not sound like an original C12, I happen to think they sound quite good. For some applications one could sound better than a particular C12.
And for that matter an SM57 can sound better than any C12. And we've all seen those threads. This isn't that thread.

Quote:
Leading me to disagree with your statement that "the C12VR should never come up in C12 discussions".
If a "C12" is what is intended then a C12VR should never come up in C12 threads, not if you want to do the OP any favors. These mics do not sound the same. I've asked about mics that sound as close as possible.

We haven't sold the VR because it hasn't been necessary and because sometimes we need a lot of mics (e.g. drums) and the C12VR isn't a bad crush mic.