View Single Post
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
But maybe this is OK...even desirable? All other things being equal, maybe the various subtle accentuations/enhancements are the very thing to differentiate between these preamps in the "clean" category? Perhaps these are the things that listeners perceive as the subjective qualities between them?

Of course, measuring these things quantitatively gives us a scientific basis for comparison, but maybe in the interpretation of all things musical, it all still boils down to subjective analysis?
Yes, that's interesting! The biggest difference between the Forssell and the NPNG - apart from the low mid forwardness and solidity the Forssell has - in Syra's comparison was for me that the NPNG sounded more lively, the Forssell a tiny bit more static. They handle dynamics differently.

I am not saying at all that the Forssell is a bad unit, it's just that the NPNG sounded the most relaxed and lively of them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfromfl View Post
Someone earlier recommended using an acoustic guitar for the tests (darned if I can't find this now...), but I've sometimes found acoustic guitar samples difficult to analyze. There's just too much going on with a guitar that can mask features/weaknesses. Perhaps if you're in the control room listening to the samples on monitors, it's easier to compare. But once you compress the files to post here, it becomes problematic. To me, the best source is voice, either female or male.
That's interesting! I always found tests with vocals files pretty irrelevant. But then again they were all different takes, and thus all over the place. Maybe the same take through the same type of mics, with more distance than the usual pop record, so that they have an even distance - that might be revealing.
Now, do you really want to hear me sing?