View Single Post
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
Ok guys, so after a simple experiment the results are conclusive.

The Apogee AD8000 delivers a simultaneous source 43 samples later than the Aurora 8. This equates to about .975 ms at 44.1. The workaround, of course, is to use software monitoring at a low buffer rate and use sample delays on the tracks being recorded on the Lynx. This can also be done on input. Once the material has been tracked, it's simple matter of nudging all "Lynx tracks" 43 samples. This means that whatever buffer rate I select will be offset by a further .975 ms, which is tolerable for 64 or 128 but nothing much more.

After implementing the workaround, the resulting audio was in phase and sounded normal again.

The Lynx and the Apogee are both clocked from the AES16e via the AES/EBU stream.

Cheers
I must have dipped into my stash when I posted the above "in step" because I could add a PCM42 @ 900ms in front of a signal and it would be waaaay out of "step". I meant jitter free (or as jitter free as I can get)

Mo,
How did you check your latency, what was your input test signal?

Was thinking of using a click made from a single truncated square wave cycle.

Would this work?

Thanks,

John

BTW, I did some cleaning up my listening space acoustically and forgot to turn the clock on the other day...

This is monitoring through an Avid Omni clocked with an Isochrone OCX (PT 10 HD Native)

Thought the mix sounded a bit flabby and the image was not so great.

Saw the clock was off, so I saved and restarted with the clock on and the difference with and without external clocking is actually not so subtle at all.

The bottom end is way tighter (almost sounds like when you swap amps and get massively better damping) and the image is more precise, deeper, taller and the mix sits more obviously in front of the monitors.

It kind of freaked me out a little!

Any one else hear a lot of jitter reduction on the Avids with external clocking?

Is my power dirtier than I think it is?