View Single Post
Old 17th September 2002
Gear Maniac

Re: Re: CD burning in a computer vs. stand alone

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood

Outboard converters by Crane Song, Apogee, and Lucid are going to sound much better than the converters in the CD burner. Plus, by recording to the computer, you have the option (which I would exercise) to capture your mixes at longer wordlengths (20 or 24 bits) which can be burned as data discs (which are more robust than cda)... whew...

Anyway, you won't get real-time burning (as your recording it) with a computer and outboard converter, but your resulting capture will be much better.
Excuse me for my confusion but... I understand that the outboard converters will be better than converters in a masterlink for example, and better than the digigram vx pocket that use to get audio into my laptop. But if I did choose to use the laptop w/ a 2 track editor such as Peak, and burn to the internal maxtor in the laptop, which converter would you recommend? Or is there a better, more direct way to get the audio out of the converter and into the computer? The VX pocket has spdif digital connectors. And I want to emphasize that I am looking for the best audio possible. Most appreciative for your help!

rll