View Single Post
Old 10th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFB View Post
Has anyone here ever used a real pultec eq?
Yea Plenty. Some great. Some terrible. Some...meh...All wildly different. Good luck finding a pair of vintage units that sound the same. I am sure I've heard a few busted ones, that got the sandpaper glove from a weak tech.

Quote:
I've been messing around with PSP Nobleq which i like but now i'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the plugin and real hardware. Does the difference in sound correlate with the astronomical price difference? If so, I might need to start saving.
Yup, I'm still saving! I need a rack full of just passive tube EQ's. These EQ's are like audio engineer steroids. It is as much difference -- as there is land between California and Boston. Real nice passive Tube/Transformer EQ's sound incredible to me. They have harmonic weight, depth and organic, natural blending ability.

Quote:
anyone with first hand experience with the real thing AND plugins care to chime in?
I use the stuff in cartoon corner. Meh..
I patch this here RETRO 2A3 I got in front of me, and WOW
sounds like something real!! The difference between the plug in and the real thing is pointless,
I use both, where they are useful, and not try and over think it all, or let any differences get in my way...

peace