View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Nut

Compression

Hi Bruce,

I can't thank you enough for you being around this forum and being so open to everyone interested in recording music.

I latched onto some of your suggestions a few pages back and applied them to the record I've been working on ... the results are breathtaking.

I can't begin to tell you how different the music is now, each track speaks to you much more than ever before, the faders feel different, the stereo buss acts different, and I'm using less F/X, EQ and for the 1st time in my career NO Compression on the drums.

I found out that I have more control of the placement of audio in the spectrum without compression. Things just stay where "I" put them. If I want something right out the front in your face a compressor might be a good way to do that, but that's not the kind of dynamics I'm interested in. Mastering this record was a booger too, but Johnatan Russell did a fabulous job over at Masterfonics. We tore that studio apart trying to preserve my "Sonic Personality". I'm sure when we were done we ended up with bare wire and a knob !!!

I've got a few really hard to please clients too, but immediately I've seen a huge difference on the look of their faces. Smiles are as wide as the Grand Canyon and comments have ranged everywhere from: Good Lord, ****, F!*K, That's Incredible, WOWSA!!!!! just to name a few.

This is going to be a life changing record for me ... nothing will ever be the same again.

Thank You Sooooooooooooooo much.

Russ Ragsdale
Nashville