View Single Post
Old 20th September 2006
Here for the gear

Looking for a Digital console to retire Old Mackie 32*8

I am thinking of retiring my trusty Mackie 32 8 bus and my 16 channel vlz pro and my Mackie Control universal and going to a fully digital console.

I really only used the Mackies for cue mix, and used my outboard preamps for digital input to Digital Performer and to feed a cue mixes to the mackie.

I mix mostly in the box with my trusty MCU to improve my workflow and it really has. So much so that i am eyeing the Mackie D8b on ebay pretty hard. They are selling for 2500 with effects on every channel and focusrite preamps on every channel. These were 10K a few years ago.

There are a few other contenders like the Tascam 3200 I think it is. But the question is ... Should I do it. I know I am going to retire the Mackie but should I stay with an analog console or Not. I like the idea of having better quality preamps, all digital control surface with at least 24 real faders. (I hate bank switching) and perhaps an even better workflow and a solid increase in the quality of signal.

I have to be able to send multiple mixes and I don't want to look at a tiny screen or decipher cryptic symbols.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me to look at? Again, I use DP.

Thanks a bunch.

Zeb

Last edited by ze3b; 20th September 2006 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: forgot to turn on notification