View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Off the top of my head tho Id first consider how the Nucleus can be set up with a second interface - maybe you can use the Nucleus functionality without using it as an interface?
I thank all three of you guys so much for taking the time to advise me! I will use Nucleus simply as a controller for Pro Tools 10 (on a Mac) and I will also take advantage of the couple of original SSL preamps it provides. So I do not see Nucleus as an interface. However the connectivity issues you pointed out sound a bit complicated (or even scary) to my ears, since I am not an experience engineer. I really do not want to spend a considerable amount of money on problematic combinations! All your concerns about my case are absolutely right. But how do I know which interface/converter machine will function with Nucleus better? I assume that achieving low latency matters more than getting free plugins, onboard preamps and a large number of I/Os. So which protocol of conversion is considered the most effective? PCI Express? Thunderbolt? I guess not USB nor Firewire, right? This is also highly connected to the decision I will have to make about what kind of Mac I will work with.

So far I realise that Apogee Symphony is well respected by everyone and UAD Apollo Quad is well attractive due to its great plugins. But is that all? If Apollo was evaluated only about its interface and conversion functions, would it reach the bottom of the table? If we forget about that tone of plugins (and even its 4 preamps), is it still a worth-to-buy product? I hope it is, because I have had a crash for Apollo from the very beginning. But you know, it's like I fell in love with a woman I saw in a picture but I have never actually met! This is the first time in my life I will work on a serious audio interface.

Regarding RME Fireface UFX, I am now almost convinced that it has the most fanatic supporters! And this is not necessarily good, because a fanatic supporter is always too objective and often aphoristic with anything else in the market. Why I say that? Well... have a look on the poll I launched! The only people who gave a vote went for Fireface UFX, but NONE of them bothered to write a post and explain to me WHY! Is this a coincidence?

Last edited by Salpion; 2nd February 2013 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Adding a comment