View Single Post
Old 12th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
I know exactly what you mean mrbibidy, I can hear differences, you can, most engineers/producers can, but I don't agree with how things are said here on Gearslutz.

Like saying: "my room leans more on the professional side (money making intended) and my clients more on the commercial end so my Echo's, as convenient as they were, aren't cutting the mustard any more."

Did any of your clients complained about your sound quality? If they did, I bet ALL MY GEAR, it wasn't the converters fault.

Do you know what I mean?

I'm not saying you're not a great engineer or that you shouldn't get better gear if you can, but I'm really annoyed on how things are said here.

Too many great sounding records where mixed using crappy converters into analog gear (crappy for today's standards)... and the Echos sound way better than most of the old converters. But again... I believe you when you say you can hear something when you stack up a lot of it's D/As... I did use it with 16 outs, but only a couple of times and doing rock/metal stuff... also, my monitoring wasn't any good back then... and whatever it did to mess up my sound, it still sounded way better (more depth and punch) when using it's D/A into my passive summing mixer + analog compressors, EQs, etc...
Yes.. What I am saying is I have recurring clients who demand quality and who trust me, exclusively (if I may add without sounding pompous as), to deliver that quality, as well as a staple mastering engineer that I use who are familiar with the calibre of my work. We've all noticed there's a difference in workflow... finishing mixes has been more of a challenge specifically in trying to get through that 'smear', as I said, the more outputs I use in my workflow. I've been doing this long enough to know it's not me.. I regularly ask my mastering engineer and my original mentors how my work is progressing and trust them to keep me in check. I'm smart enough to know when my knives aren't cutting it and I need to sharpen them. For me, now, its the converters. Need to get something "sharper". If your lenses is blurry then getting a sharp picture is damn near impossible... know what Im saying? Its possible, but it shouldn't take the amount of work it is taking and I shouldn't have to rely on my mastering engineer to keep things in check. Using Lynx, Digidesign, and Apoggee converters I could pull class A mixes in a couple hours but on the Echos it's just taking hours to massage things into place, at least to a point I know I can trust its right. I can't just hear it and know its right... and trying to 'learn' this 'smear' to work with it is proving friggin' impossible.
Show replies