View Single Post
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Katrina victim here. Trust me, I know what you are going thru; it's absolutely devastating, and makes you wonder about if it's worth it to have so much blood, sweat and tears tied up in physical possessions.

My prayers are with you concerning the insurance companies; IME they will do everything in their power to avoid giving you even 50% of what all that stuff is really worth.

Now whenever even a tropical storm is approaching New Orleans I pack up everything I own into a large van and get the hell out of town. I even gutted my Trident 80b recently to evacuate, placing all the channel strips into boxes with lots of bubble wrap.

IME this is the only truly effective insurance policy for a natural disaster; being prepared to get out with your stuff and take matters into your own hands. Insurance companies are con artists with licenses that will do everything in their power to avoid doing what they were paid to do. You pay them, but when disaster strikes on a large scale they are trying to hold onto their "profits" at all costs !

DO NOT just assume you are "covered" because you have a policy. That was one of the hardest lessons I have ever learned !

And I no longer have insurance for this reason !

I sincerely wish you the very best in all of this.
Wow, thanks for sharing Sage. My insurance policy is starting to look more and more like yours. Pack up everything and go. Its unfortunate but you`re right, insurance companies are a bunch of crooks, like car dealers... and bankers...