View Single Post
Old 28th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
Does Jimmy Wales have a strong history of non-internet-related activism? I don't follow him closely, so I honestly don't know -- can you show me some instances of his non-internet activism? My point, after all, is that it's only reasonable to have these expectations described in the quote above above if the expected actors are either relevant to the situation in question, or have a history of activism related to the situation in question.
He's stated a passion for free information, which arises from his upbringing.
In reality he supports many individuals and causes that he sees as championing freedom of information over control of information.
Okay, so I ask again: can you show me some instances where he acts as an activist for an issue unrelated to the internet? My contention -- based on my likely incomplete view of his activity -- is that all his causes are related to the internet and internet-based communications. As I say in the above quote: if he hasn't spoken out of behalf of Pussy Riot, I wouldn't be surprised, because Pussy Riot's oppression is unrelated to internet issues. If you can show me some instances of his championing some causes unrelated to the internet, I will cede to your view that there could be an expectation that he would speak publicly on behalf of Pussy Riot (I'm sure he is privately sympathetic with them, regardless, but this discussion is over public actions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Also, your suggestion we remove 'the internet' from this debate is rather silly. The internet is a major part of our lives now, so it's quite understandable that activism will take place on the internet, and thru the internet, rather than in newsprint or on tv alone.
I can't even begin to understand what this passage means: "suggestion to remove 'the internet' from this debate"? I have a hard time coming up with any interpretation of my remarks in this thread that could lead to this kind of summation. My entire point throughout this thread has been that it's delusional to think that Google or Wikipedia is hypocritical for blacking out their homepages to raise awareness for SOPA/PIPA but not for Pussy Riot, as has been so repeatedly suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
can anyone tell what day the internet censorship protest is going to be on to heighten awareness of actual censorship as opposed the google imagined kind?
Quote:
so where's the great internet protest and black out for solidarity in response to this censorship?
Quote:
agreed. but do let me know when the big internet/google sponsored protest is going to be, I want to make sure I'm ready with all those google and wikipedia approved anti-censorship logos and graphics...
Quote:
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety...
Quote:
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety...
still waiting...
Quote:
Quote:
sorry... when is that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety... so funny... actual censorship... nadda... imagined (fabricated) censorship... hire lobbyists and have a web black out to illustrate what censorship and oppression looks like...
Quote:
no, the point of this thread is to highlight the fact that the very people who claimed to have had an overwhelming interest in censorship in January ... don't seem to have the same level of interest in actual censorship when it really does happen. ...
Quote:
nothing fallacious about it... just me know know when they are blacking out their homepage in support of the bands situation ...
Quote:
if only google, wikipedia and the other "black out" sites would do the same on their homepages... don't worry, I won't be holding my breath...
Now, I know you said you were "slightly sympathetic" to this delusion, so it may be that my rationality in making this point is wasted on you. I have cleanly made my case several times now, so if you are confused I may simply recommend re-reading my body of posts throughout this thread.