View Single Post
Old 28th August 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelgain View Post
I personally find it totally hypocritical to see western politicians and media spokesmen condemn Russia over their sentencing of Pussy Riot whilst calling for Julian Assange to be deported to the US to face possible execution for exposing US political and military corruption.

If you really want freedom of speech, which I do, you need to be completely tolerant of everyone's point of view no matter how extreme or offensive it may be and I don't believe most people in this world are anywhere near ready for that.

People, institutions and nations retaliate when they are criticised, insulted or threatened. First we need to understand what causes fear and neuroticism in cultures before attempting to educate people in how to deal with those type of attacks.
Assange wont be executed if he's extradited here. No European nation would extradite him if there was even a slim possibility of the death penalty. Anyway I have little sympathy for Assange. Manning yes, he and the ones who take the risk and do the actual work for Wikileaks are far more deserving of support than Assange. Assange is only interested in promoting himself.