Old 27th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's just funny how it's a burning global issue when it comes to NOT helping musicians against filesharing, but it's NOT a burning global issue when young people are censored by being slapped in prison for releasing a song.
If one considers that "helping musicians against filesharing" was the sole purpose and the entirety of the effect of the proposed SOPA/PIPA bills, then I can see how one could find it strange that Google and Wikipedia would black out their homepages in an effort to raise awareness against this legislation, but would not do so in response to a two-year prison sentence for three Russian political activists. In reality, that was not the sole purpose of those bills, nor would that have been the entirety of their effect, and the scope of these two matters is leagues apart despite a facile similarity of free speech or censorship.
We aren't talking about individual laws here. ...
Some certainly are, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt in asking what then you meant by the "burning global issue not to help musicians" characterization if I am to take that it was not a [distortedly dogmatic] reference to the SOPA/PIPA awareness blackout movement.

With that clarification now requested, I'd say the Pussy Riot reaction has been what could reasonably be described as a burning global issue; news of it has been everywhere (if this is disputed, I'd challenge the disputer to provide any general news site, podcast, program, or newspaper whose mention Pussy Riot has escaped -- basically any news source whose purview could sensibly contain word of Pussy Riot), and the Western reaction has been one of uniform condemnation. If the bar for something to be a big deal is that Google and Wikipedia black out their homepages to raise awareness of it, well -- then I guess there's only been one big deal in the history of humanity. Or maybe it's just not a sensible way to gauge a "burning global issue."