View Single Post
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
It can't be about both? About supporting Pussy Riot and chiding that great protector of free speech and human right, Google, for not stepping up to the plate and saying even ONE WORD about it, after hiding behind the banner of human rights and free speech when they see a chance to use it as an excuse to deny the rights of a whole class of working people?

I don't see this as mutually exclusive at all, indeed, I think that both issues should be addressed.
It could be both. To an extent, it is both: other posters in the thread have expressed their thoughts as they actually relate to Pussy Riot's situation. rack gear's body of contribution, though, is much more focused on a singular contention of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
can anyone tell what day the internet censorship protest is going to be on to heighten awareness of actual censorship as opposed the google imagined kind?
Quote:
so where's the great internet protest and black out for solidarity in response to this censorship?
Quote:
agreed. but do let me know when the big internet/google sponsored protest is going to be, I want to make sure I'm ready with all those google and wikipedia approved anti-censorship logos and graphics...
Quote:
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety...
Quote:
just let me know when that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety...
still waiting...
Quote:
Quote:
sorry... when is that big internet protest is going to take place in opposition to ACTUAL censorship and oppression as opposed to the imagined Google variety... so funny... actual censorship... nadda... imagined (fabricated) censorship... hire lobbyists and have a web black out to illustrate what censorship and oppression looks like...
Quote:
no, the point of this thread is to highlight the fact that the very people who claimed to have had an overwhelming interest in censorship in January when it was ...
Quote:
nothing fallacious about it... just me know know when they are blacking out their homepage in support of the bands situation ...
Google is not a "great protector of free speech and human rights" as described by your own quote above. Would any claim that they are? They are an internet service operator and advertising agency, and though I'd personally say that they are much, much, much less evil than probably almost any other company in their position would be, they are a publicly traded corporation and they do operate in the manner of a business. That's not to say that Google doesn't try to uphold certain principles within the scope of their control; Remember when Google left China in protest of censorship of search results and attacks on activist email accounts? They were lambasted by the business community for not playing along with China's repressive imperatives in the pursuit of greater profit. It's not spotless, but I'd say they have a strong record of standing up for the integrity of their services.

It's sad that Pussy Riot is facing injustice in Russia, but it's so far outside of Google's purview of internet tools and services that it's ridiculous to expect them to even officially comment on the matter, let alone to expect that they should change their homepage to draw attention to the issue, let alone to feel it warranted to chide them for not doing so. If Pussy Riot was tracked by the Russian government through the use of Google services, or if their Gmail accounts were compromised by the Russian government in pursuit of material to use against them, then we might expect to see an official Google response; after all, it's happened before. There are reasonable expectations, there are unreasonable expectations, and there are deluded expectations (see quotewall above for some great examples!); terrible though Pussy Riot's circumstances are, one might do well to maintain a modicum of perspective toward the issue.