View Single Post
Old 25th August 2012
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
I understand that legally if somebody downloads a song then they have made a copy.

And to make a copy of a recording legally you have to apply for a mechanical license.

If you offer your song "for free" on your website then you are basically granting the mechanical license yourself. If you have assigned that song to a collection agency then you no longer have the right to grant a license for your own work?
No, because a broadcast (performance) license isn't the same thing as a recording (mechanical) license.

FWIW, a broadcast license for non-internet radio in the US only pays the songwriter and publisher, not the act that made the recording.