thread: Poor man's SSL
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

I just dropped cash on a nucleus as well. I have only had it a few days but I do think that for me it's worth it.. I paid about 4400 for it.. I have tried a couple other supposed controllers ie m audio novation and this Is ten times better. Plus I can use the pres in it.

It's a steep learning curve but I think I can drop the mouse in bout 90 % of cases given some time setting it up

But it's not a console. I do find that already I am mixing more with my ears and not my eyes.. I like the duende channel strip very much. I have VCC and the UAD ssl strip also so figuring out how I like to work.

It's a lot of cash for sure but to me the faders ,knobs, jog wheel that really work, presa button load your plug in , all the time is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustinZubillaga View Post
SSL Nucleus + Slate VCC 4k + Duende native (or Waves SSL bundle). Whadda ya think?

...in all seriousness, there is no doubt in my mind that someday software emulations will sound 99,9% identical to their hardware counterparts (yes, including summing and tape). Let's face it, it's just a matter of time.

Just think about it... New (albeit small) SSL console, no recapping, no repair guy on speed dial, no awkward SSL automation, instant recall, SSL faders and knobs, jog wheel, transport, etc... for less than $6k

Thoughts?

Ah yes, I forgot to mention: I own the SSL Nucleus, and it's worth every penny of the $5.149 price tag