View Single Post
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Well Wales is philosophically motivated by 'free information'. It's the blood in his veins, by which any other consideration is secondary.
I don't think 'free information' and commercial music* can mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathromantik View Post
Why do people confuse the free software movement with pirates? It is free as in speech not always no money paid.
I am an advocate of FOSS, I still buy all my music.
Free culture (in Lessig sense) is the extension of the free software concepts to other forms of media. If you read Lessig's book "Free Culture, Free Society" he explains this pretty clearly. Obviously it's not the same idea as piracy. But it's fair to say that these communities have negative views on many of the excesses of copyright, especially copyright duration and digital locks (ie. DRM, and laws that protect it). It's very common to see arguments for the expansion of fair use to cover things that are typically illegal today. It's obviously not black and white though.

It's also worth noting that copyleft licenses use copyright itself to subvert the the typical intentions of copyright though share-alike clauses. IE, it turns the "you can not share" of a typical copyright license to "you must share". I've heard it copyleft called "putting copyright on its head", which seems pretty accurate.
The two quotes above are a decent response to chrisso's comment on free information, free culture, and Jimmy Wales/Wikipedia. Free culture is not a movement that advocates for the abolition of copyright or commercial works; it instead presents a case for the publishing of materials under a form of "some [or no] rights reserved" licenses. As freetard mentions above, and as I have pointed out previously, the CC licenses are empowered by copyright law. I don't even see mainstream free culture as an anti-copyright movement, per se; it's possible to stretch the ideals of free culture and suggest that such freedom should apply to all works universally, but I don't think it's right to characterize the foundation of the mainstream free culture philosophy as being so uncompromising in its reach. Free culture can very much exist alongside commercial culture.