View Single Post
Old 19th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
The burning question is how many people use music as filler?

Probably a lot.

How many more are listening to music less and less?

I think it's increasing in numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
yes current media is all On All the time. its difficult to find a space for music to take a purchase on the senses.

sensory world is shot to shreds...
absolutely.

here’s a fact i always found interesting: music pre-dates the written word. it existed long before the first book was ever even conceived, and has played an important role in peoples lives in every known culture around the world since before written history of any kind ever existed. in other words, music has been in all of us since day one.

for most of human history, music was magic. it was rare, and experiencing it was universally considered to be among the most beautiful and meaningful of human experiences.

before books, along with poets and storytellers, the musician was the historian and teacher; the recorder of events, the collector and transmitter of ideas and philosophy, and the messenger that reaffirmed collective values and social tendencies. music and musicians still perform all of those functions today.

the problem is that no one's really listening anymore. music has never had less value or cultural importance than it has today.

sound recording is a fairly recent phenomenon compared to the lifespan of music itself. music has existed in one form or another for millennia, but systems capable of recording and playing back sound (as we know them today) have only existed for a little over a century. that’s just a tiny blip on the evolutionary scale of the art form—but it changed everything, for better or worse—both for musicians and for music itself.

with the advent of sound recording technology, and systems that were capable of the mechanical reproduction of recorded sound, for the first time in history, people were able to listen to music without having to be present during a live musical performance. technology "freed" music from the constraints of live performance, making it far more accessible, and for the first time allowed the listener to experience music outside of the human context of musicians performing it.

for better or worse, music became a mechanical experience for most people. (many would argue that at this point music itself started losing value and cultural significance. they're not wrong, but the art form still has a long way to fall in our collective appreciation from here!)

my own opinion: i think technology enhanced music in some ways (not all), up to a certain point: but it would seem the further technology advances, the less importance people lend to the experience. and it's obvious why...

much further along in the evolution of music, when i was growing up, we had to pay for music. (as generations before me did.) the fact that i had to save up for weeks to go down to the record shop and buy the latest release made me appreciate the experience even more than listening to the radio. (we value things that are hard to come by, and take for granted the things that are handed to us... that's an obvious truth about human nature that will never change.)

it's not a perfect comparison, but in a lot of ways, just as in the time when music could only be experienced in the context of a live performance for a ritual or social social event that was governed by the calendar, which was a practical obstacle between music and the listener, in a lesser but tangible way, having to pay for music had a similar effect on all the generations that followed. music retained most of its value, or importance, because it wasn't something you could have any time you wanted it, for free: there were requirements to obtain it.

fast forward to 2012, where everyone has a pocket full of music they didn't pay for on a zillion devices that spit out in tiny plastic sound, droning on and on in every imaginable space, place, and context, and the OP's question answers itself.

music as an art form is suffering because there's too way much of it, and it's way too easy to get.

Last edited by sound_music; 19th July 2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: long winding rant! sitting here printing stems all day...mind wandering, keyboard got the better of me. ;-)