View Single Post
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
there was one in particular that tracked reduced sales and increased P2P activity in markets with Broadband versus those with Dial Up. It pretty much resulted in what you'd expect... faster internet correlates to more P2P and less music sales...

and there's this...
Digital Music News - Broadband Penetration vs. Album Sales, 2000-2010...
Cheers, I'm certainly not denying that album sales decreased massively because of illegal sharing...

I just think how/why it has affected artists overall earnings has been coloured to suit the big labels a bit...

Thanks for your replies, BTW. It is an interesting topic, and I'm interested in being proven wrong on my ill-formed conjectures.

I will say I bought more music between 90s-04 than I ever have since, and in fact most of that music I listen to more now than recent releases, but there's a plethora of other reasons for that...one of the main differences being in terms of how I experience "new-music", though, is that I'll listen to something once on Youtube, rather than going to the local record shop and needle-dropping through a bunch of records, or flicking through the radio/MTV; and I don't think that's actually a good thing (that said, now, radio/MTV is full of junk, and many of those record shops are gone)...