View Single Post
Old 10th July 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0833250 View Post
Interesting graph, thanks.

It pretty much correlates to what I said...OK, the peak isn't quite as massive as I had imagined...but note that it had already leveled off by the mid-90s, that's not internet piracy causing that. Even consumer CD burners weren't commonplace by then either...
there was no leveling off... I'm not sure where you are getting that from... there was a slow, consistent build over 36 years...

Quote:
OK, you can see where Napster hits. But there's already a plateau before, part of that decline is probably to do with other factors (consider all the 'consumer competition' you just mentioned,that was concurrently reaching new heights...also mid 90s was peak-MTV). And, like I said, it's not THAT far off the the mid-80s...and obviously there's a population increase that's not being taken into account. I still think the reason artists aren't making the money they used to is less to do with record sales, and more to do with the decline of Radio/MTV and a host of other factors like an increasing number of artists in general and access to free-music etc...

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend I know the answers. But I think the record sales point is exaggerated, and I certainly don't like when I hear it used as a reason to justify mass-censorship on the internet.
1) the sales point is not exaggerated losing 8 billion dollars (50% of the Industry) in less than 10 years and

2) there is no mass-censorship on the internet that has ever been proposed so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

you appear to be confused between the difference of the freedom of expression and the illegal exploitation of that express for profit, they are not the same.

Quote:
Yeah of course it's a big problem, but that's just a massive change in society...the internet is undermining/changing everything else in retail too.
sorta, maybe... if best buy is closing stores because people are buying electronics from amazon... than amazon is making the money and the value chain for everyone other than the retailer is preserved.

when music is distributed illegally ONLY the distributor of that illegal distribution is being compensated and no one else in the value chain is.

there are no lost sales, every illegal download is paid for, either in subscriptions at file lockers, or in advertising revenue, or both... but none of that revenue is being distributed to the creators, and that's the difference.

this will give you more insight...

Artists, Know Thy Enemy – Who’s Ripping You Off and How… | The Trichordist

If the Internet is working for Musicians, Why aren’t more Musicians Working Professionally? | The Trichordist