View Single Post
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Head

Like Altitude909 said it is the mixer. Are you using your DAW to mix the individual recordings of the drum sounds? Even If you record single shot drum sounds separately from the main mono output, arrange them in a DAW and then program exactly the same pattern on the TR-606 and record the mix via its main output you will still be able to notice the difference between these two. The individual outputs modification has nothing to do with it, it's the mixing process. When the summing takes place in the drum machine's mixer it sounds more solid in my opinion and more retro also. I guess it's more or less the same difference between mixing a song in the box and mixing it using an analogue mixer. I am not saying that you can't do a good mix in the box but mixing with a console has some advantages depending on the genre one is working on I suppose. Personally I prefer using the TR-606's main output but I can understand why this modification could be useful for some people although I wouldn't do it on mine.

Shadow