View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
The answer to your question is......

Simply because the numbers don't catch the part-timers who make up the vast majority of the musical workforce. Ever hear of the guy working as a stand up comedian who can't quit his day job? Same with millions of musicians. Most of us were not born into inheritance or with a rich daddy. Worse (or better! ... actually), many of us have families and that come FIRST even before music. So the net effect is an ARMY of part-time musicians in the work force that are FULL-TIME in terms of professionalism and TALENT, who are just as committed as you or anyone else.
no doubt...

but there's still LESS professional working musicians than there were in 2002... and that's related to there being 64% less music sales than there was in 1999... that's how it works... that's not guess work, that's fact...

most of those part timers are at best making a few grand a year, maybe... really that's a HUGE maybe... the majority are probably making music at a net loss once you factor in gear purchases and hourly labor invested.

Quote:
And I have news for you.....

GS has more of these part timers than full timers. And I believe they drive the MAJORITY of equipment sales.
dude, that's NOT news... this is exactly why there is so much resistance on GS to understand the dynamics of a professional career... who exactly do you think is unaware of this fact?

Quote:
My home studio has tens of thousands of $$$ of equipment, and I'm just a small fish in a big home studio pond. You have to surely be aware that thousands of guys have well over $100K plus into their home studios. This is the future of music. Society will reap great benefits from this.
Wishful thinking bro, wishful thinking... just because the means of production has been democratized, and the means of distribution has been democratized does not mean that talent itself has been democratized...

SoundClick - Free MP3 music download and much, much more.

Quote:
FWIW, GS cannot exist with the small guys who I believe are buying most new studio gear. We run the economics of this site. We are already running a significant part of the music world and we grow every year.
yes, you are... so what? let me tell you the story about Guitar Center as told to me by a friend of mine who sells them gear as a national account...

Quote:
you think that GC is selling is selling Guitars, they not. They're selling "the dream" it just comes packaged as a guitar.
The point is you are the future of the Musical Instruments Sales world, which is a lot different from the professional creative world.

I wish everyone the best, but you need to wake up. Things are worse for you now than they've probably ever been and just because you can put a homebrew album up on Tunecore for $50 a year doesn't mean you'll make a living making music. The average tunecore artists is making like $277 a year...

you don't want to hear it, and I understand that denial is powerful, but you can't SOLVE a problem if you don't RECOGNIZE the problem...

Digital Music News - 99.9% of Tunecore Artists Make Less Than Minimum Wage...

Quote:
It turned out that the average Tunecore artist was making just $179 a year - and that was before any annual fees. But now, it turns out there's an even more depressing figure: 99.875% - or nearly all - of Tunecore artists are making less than minimum wage through the platform, based on revenue figures recently shared by the company.