View Single Post
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Addict

Oh ok, gotcha. The only reason I asked is because of the mac vs. PC, and PT vs. Other compatibility issues when it comes to interfaces. But you seem like you're already plugged into those factors.

I'm an Apogee fan, and also like Digi's 192 (which may be blasphemy around here ), but I'm a total mac guy, so I may not be much help in that department.

RME, Lavry, Lynx, and a few others are well liked by many, but it really depends what you're looking for, budget, etc.. The RME stuff has gained a reputation for having a lot of bang for the buck. I also like Cranesong's converter, but it's not the cheapest.

One option out there that is a bit of an oddball is the API A2D. It's a 2 channel mic pre and converter. I've used one of these quite a bit, and it was fantastic. Ton of value there too. Their pre's alone are worth the price of that thing (and you can bypass the converter and go direct into another one if you decide you don't like it down the road). Anyway, that's one option to look at.

If those are all out of your price range, there are a TON of other options out there, but I'm not well versed in the entry level devices (and there are hundreds of them). Your best bet there may be to hunt down one of the magazine shootouts for converters.

Are you in or near a decent studio where you could go shoot out some mics? It'd probably only take you a few hrs of studio time and would be well worth it to find a mic that works well with your voice.