View Single Post
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubber View Post
@all:

does sc convert mp3s after uploading? or is the uploaded mp3 served unchanged?
All tracks are transcoded to 128 kbps mp3; downloads are originals.

Quote:
i dont wanna upload wavs there because the download for the users takes too long and what the hell do they want with a 50 mb wav file?!?!
Soundcloud is twice as fast as Bandcamp. People use WAV files for the audio quality - better for listening and for re-editing, also 50MB isn't a lot nowadays. I'm currently working on a project that involves users downloading a 52MB WAV file:http://soundcloud.com/groups/the-river - it wouldn't really work with mp3.

Quote:
also another question: how get the followers informed about new tracks from their favorite artists? just on the dashboard when they log in?
if so - there is always the problem when a person is not online every day... they miss perhaps a release you've posted there... same for facebook .... it gets lost in the timeline very fast :(
It's possible to PM followers with a link to new tracks. Lack of filter options is a MAJOR issue - unless they fix this I think they will lose subscribers. Social psychology studies suggest that humans have natural groupings: approximately, a dozen close friends and family, 120 or so regular acquaintances and then a few thousand contacts; IMO Soundcloud filtering options should reflect this.