thread: are you happy?
View Single Post
Old 4th September 2002
Gear Addict

Re: are you happy?

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
1 : favored by luck or fortune : FORTUNATE
I know a guy who when asked "How you doin Eddie?" will usually answer, "Well I'm not on fire so I guess I'm doin' okay" While this may be a limited outlook on what constitutes happiness, it illustrates a key component in my perception of happiness; the expression of gratitude. It is too easy to let the ****ty things in life drag you down. I struggle with it constantly. The only remedy I know of is to stop to consider what it is in life that you have to be grateful for. Eddie's point is that if you can't think of a single thing to be grateful for, be grateful you're not on fire and start from there.
Quote:
4 c : enthusiastic about something to the point of obsession : OBSESSED
I never would have guessed that this is a meaning for the word 'happy'. In the case of this meaning, I am clearly happy. My father is a workaholic, raised by a workaholic. I never felt the fire inside me to work like my father until I begin exploring recording. It is truly my passion in life. I can spend a 12 hour day in the studio and never wish I was somewhere else. I spend 4 hours at my day job and I need a nap. If I were able to make recording my day job, it would be like pulling off the biggest scam ever.

While there certainly are things I would change about my life, I consider myself fortunate for what I do have.

By virtue of being both fortunate and obsessed, I guess I am by definition happy.

BTW, nice Clutch reference Alpha

- jon