View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hi guys,

Interesting thread.. and exactly what I was looking for... I'm pretty new to recording electric guitars... and I'm having phase problems because of trying to use 2 mics. Here's my setup.

VOX AC30CC2X (blue spkrs)
Fender Strat

I got a Shure 57 mic against the grill, but at a 45 degree angle (pointing towards the outside of the speaker).

I got a Neumann M149 mic about 6 feet away, facing the amp (at the same physical level of the speakers in the amp cabinet). Basically, I placed the Neumann mic at the same position that my ears would be, if I sat down on a chair and just played guitar for fun. I tweaked the settings on the amp so that I get a great tone when I'm sitting right there. That's where the mic went.

The 57 mic is going into a Brent Averill Neve 1084 (no EQ) and into a distressor (moderate compression)

The M149 is going into another Brent Averill Neve 1084 (no EQ) and a vintage LA-3A (with hardly any peak reduction)

Everything is going into an Apogee Rosetta 800, and straight into Pro Tools.

I tried to bring up both mics (while I'm playing guitar)... but I'm getting phase issues. I tried hitting the phase reverse switch on one of the Neve mic pres... but it still sounds phasey...

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? how do you guys mix the levels of the different mics? Do you usually bring them up at even levels? Or do you duck one a little?

Thanks for any Advice.